Thread: Waterfowl Meat Handling

Waterfowl Meat Handling

Im going on a fly in hunt. Apparently the lake we are going to is loaded with ducks/geese. If I breast them out, how long do they keep? I wont have ice. Can I hang them? I assume it will be cool where Im going, I could bring in a bit of ice potentially...thoughts, tips, suggestions?
    WSSBC Monarch
    WSF Life Member
    2% Certified
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Waterfowl Meat Handling

Legally you would need to keep a wing attached to the breast and you can't have more then two days worth in your possession while out hunting per license. I wouldn't shoot more then you can eat while you're up there then a couple of day before you leave shoot some freshies to take back. I would assume you will be busy hunting bigger animals I would assume unless you strike out you will be busy focusing on the big stuff.

I would think it would be cool enough that the meat won't go bad it would be trying to prevent the meat from drying out.
    Member of the Following Organizations:

BCWF

Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Legally you would need to keep a wing attached to the breast and you can't have more then two days worth in your possession while out hunting per license. I wouldn't shoot more then you can eat while you're up there then a couple of day before you leave shoot some freshies to take back. I would assume you will be busy hunting bigger animals I would assume unless you strike out you will be busy focusing on the big stuff.

I would think it would be cool enough that the meat won't go bad it would be trying to prevent the meat from drying out.
    Thanks, ya basically what I was thinking too...but just trying to cover all the angles knowledge wise before I head out in case we get a chance waiting for the plane or something or tag out early haha. Never hunted ducks before...I got the migratory license, I guess I better read up on the regs. Anything else other than a wing per breast?
    Last edited by Darksith; 08-27-2023 at 11:13 AM.
    WSSBC Monarch
    WSF Life Member
    2% Certified
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member

From the federal migratory bird regs:

Question: Why must all hunters leave one fully-feathered wing or head attached to each harvested migratory game bird? When can this feathered-wing or head be removed? Answer: Hunters have the choice to retain the fully feathered-wing or head on unpreserved carcasses for identification purposes. In many areas of Canada, daily bag limits and possession limits vary by species. Either a fully feathered-wing or head allow game officers to accurately inspect and identify the hunter's daily bag limits. The wing or head may be removed once the bird is being preserved, outside of the hunting area. However, the wing or head must remain attached on unpreserved carcasses when they are in the hands of the hunter who harvested them, are in temporary custody (for example in the possession of a hunting partner), or have been gifted to someone and accepted by that person.
    A bird that is eviscerated and plucked would be considered partially preserved and must have a fully-feathered wing or head attached until the migratory game bird is completely preserved.

Quote Originally Posted by Darksith View Post
    Im going on a fly in hunt. Apparently the lake we are going to is loaded with ducks/geese. If I breast them out, how long do they keep? I wont have ice. Can I hang them? I assume it will be cool where Im going, I could bring in a bit of ice potentially...thoughts, tips, suggestions?
    They're poultry. Treat them like a chicken.
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed,

Collectivism is Slavery

Support a Woman's right to arm herself.

Jan 13th
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj9Pm8-tFuU