Thread: Minor PAL, How does it work?

Minor PAL, How does it work?

My son has recently received his Minor PAL. My question is can he possess my rifle in the bush without my supervision? It says he needs consent in order to use the non-restricted firearm. How exactly would the consent go? Should I write out a letter for him to have in the field for the likelihood of being talked to by a CO. He wants to hunt alone and I feel like he's more than ready to.

I've been trying to get ahold of the chief firearm officer, until then any answers appreciated.

I also have contacted the RCMP, some representatives have said that he is allowed to purchase ammunition, but no firearms. And other have said he cant purchase anything at all until he is 18 with a Adult PAL

TIA

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Minor PAL, How does it work?

Quick search pointed me to this article which I think answers your question. Have a look...

https://firingline.ca/what-minimum-l...cted-youth-pal

Be well.../B
    Quote Originally Posted by wetcoastwillie View Post
    In general.... sometimes I may come across as being a prick.... but I'm human.... and cant always express my views as best as I should

I beleive he can use your rifle unsupervised. The reason I say this is there is a statememt on the CFC that says minors without a licence can use a firearm under direct supervision, so I assume a minor with a minors licence can be unsupervised. It also says in the notes:

"The Minor's Licence is only valid for non-restricted rifles and shotguns. Licensed minors can use a handgun if they are under the direct and immediate supervision of someone licensed to have that class of firearm."

Since it only states they need to be supervised when using a handgun, I once again assume this to mean he's good to go with your rifle unspervised.

Based off the following statement from the canadian firearms center:

Before you can get a Minor's Licence, a Firearms Officer may interview you or your parent or guardian. Your parent or guardian must first agree and consent to the conditions under which you may use firearms.

If he has been issued his minors licence, and if his parent or guadian was not interviewed, then I'd say the issueing firearms officer was comfortable with the application and came to the conclusion concent of the conditions was given. "otherwise, he would not have been issued a licence".

I'd say you are good, just make sure he follows the conditions on the licence
    Last edited by Ron.C; 08-12-2023 at 04:23 PM.

Appreciate the quick thorough response!

3/4 of a degree North of 60, and a little west of 135

Page 6 of the BC Reg's also talks about supervision of a "Youth"hunter ie: anyone between the age of 10-18. You might want to check with the local COS regarding your son doing unsupervised hunting. The section is a bit convoluted so official clarity might be important!.

To hunt in BC, you are obliged to follow the BC hunting regulations as well as the firearm laws of the federal government if you wish to hunt with a firearm. If you check in the BC Hunting Synopsis, you will find data that prohibits a person under 18 from hunting without being "accompanied" by another person that is over 18 and is the holder of a valid BC hunting license. There is a definition for the term "accompanied". Check it out before the youth gets quieried by a CO.