Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Garmin GPS

Re: Garmin GPS

Sorry another question as I don’t know anything about GPS’s .Do you need to buy a plan after purchasing the unit ?
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

I just looked at this thread again. The Montana 700 wasn't available when I got my 66i. I would definitely like to play with the 700. The 66i is clunky with no touch screen so you have to navigate what feels like 1990's menus. It's super clunky.

Because I didn't even know about the 700i I did a quick google..

https://www.switchbacktravel.com/best-handheld-gps

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    Sorry another question as I don’t know anything about GPS’s .Do you need to buy a plan after purchasing the unit ?
    Arctic Lake
    Yes, you need to create an account on the inReach website and sync your unit

https://www.garmin.com/en-CA/p/837461/pn/010-06003-SU

My question is . Is it easy to operate ? I’m not to tech advanced . If it has a long learning curve it won’t get used . Does it have features I won’t use ?
    If you can use an iPad, you'll be able to figure out a Garmin. There's lots of features you won't likely use, but you don't have to focus on them. Lots of youtube videos on how to learn the basic functions of the Garmins
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Thank You Mr. Bartell !
    Arctic Lake
    Quote Originally Posted by todbartell View Post
    Yes, you need to create an account on the inReach website and sync your unit

https://www.garmin.com/en-CA/p/837461/pn/010-06003-SU

If you can use an iPad, you'll be able to figure out a Garmin. There's lots of features you won't likely use, but you don't have to focus on them. Lots of youtube videos on how to learn the basic functions of the Garmins

Mike have you purchased from them ?
    Arctic Lake
    Yes. I purchased my Montana 610 as well as the mount system for it. I prefer the more basic gps units, no camera, inReach etc. Aside from keeping the cost down, camera & inReach can be purchased separately if desired. Unfortunately it seems the newer units come with more bells & whistles than the average user might want or need....

GPS city puts on sales from time to time.... if you have time haha. Often for holidays like Father's Day or Boxing Day etc.
    Last edited by mike31154; 08-11-2023 at 11:49 AM.

Here's the screen of my Montana 610 after it boots up. The functions shown are only a few of those available & you can customize which ones appear here. I've customized the background with my own photo vs the default image. I'm guessing here but fairly certain the user interface & functions change little from older vs current units. There's only one button on the side of the unit & all other functions are accessed via touchscreen.

Check out the Garmin Base Camp app & Google Earth. Both allow you to import gps files from your device. In the example below waypoints Taco & WT Does are shown. My starting point from the truck & 2 does I spooked no more than 50 meters from the vehicle. Red lines are Management Unit boundaries I imported to GE.

Last edited by mike31154; 08-11-2023 at 12:39 PM.

Thank you for the reply Mike and also the picture of your Garmin screen !
    Arctic Lake
    Quote Originally Posted by mike31154 View Post
    Yes. I purchased my Montana 610 as well as the mount system for it. I prefer the more basic gps units, no camera, inReach etc. Aside from keeping the cost down, camera & inReach can be purchased separately if desired. Unfortunately it seems the newer units come with more bells & whistles than the average user might want or need....

GPS city puts on sales from time to time.... if you have time haha. Often for holidays like Father's Day or Boxing Day etc.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...213-Garmin-66i

I know this topic gets beat to death so apologies in advance !
    What Garmin device do you use ?
    Im thinking about buying one . Something that has. bigger screen and has In Reach maybe for safety . But if it’s to complicated to use it won’t get used and it would be up for sale .
    Thank You !
    Arctic Lake

I’m going to throw another idea out here . I understand I can use my cell phone as a GPS . Any of you fellas do that ?
    What is the best app to get for hunting hiking if your goning to pay for it ?
    Thank You !
    Arctic Lake