Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Garmin GPS

Re: Garmin GPS

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    Mike I think you have convinced me to forget the iPhone idea .
    Arctic Lake
    Well since you have the iphone already there's certainly no harm in trying some of the GPS apps available. At the very least it will give you hands-on practice with this kind of app. I have a Samsug phone so am limited to what's available for Android. As mentioned I tried several (free versions only) & found them lacking having used Garmin devices since I purchased my Oregon 13 years ago.

I believe I tried Avenza & someone mentioned Gaia. Avenza has a better rating from reviewers in the Google Play store. The other day I was out bow hunting locally with cell coverage & tried another one, Geo Tracker. There are several options for maps to use with Geo Tracker including Google maps. Since I had cell coverage the app was able to load & display the map for my position, but it's still nowhere as good or useful in the backcountry as the topo maps loaded into my Garmin Montana. If your trip is out of cell coverage, you need to upload maps to the phone prior to heading out, making sure they're good quality topos. For basic navigation to keep you from getting lost it's probably fine, you can mark a waypoint & it will record your track. Other than that it looks much like Google maps which is what it uses as a base map. You have the option to choose satellite image but that would consume a lot of data on your phone plan.

Link to android Geo Tracker
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...hl=en_CA&gl=US

Apple version? Different developer "Lite" version
    https://apps.apple.com/us/app/geotra...e/id1591412841
    Last edited by mike31154; 09-10-2023 at 12:28 PM.

Pioneerman . How easy is it to use, do you think it’s an easy learning curve for a a GPS newbie ?
    Thanks
    Arctic Lake
    Quote Originally Posted by Pioneerman View Post
    My GPS just died on me after 20 years, so decided to grab a new Garmin. Did not go for top of the line, but a GPSmap 64SX on sale at Cabela's It comes with basically world maps, but was not really happy with the detail of the maps, so also just added the back roads map and works amazingly well, plus with my old GPS I could not transfer onto Google earth, this format from my Garmin, is instant to lay track and waypoints to google earth and save them. I did try the Gaia that was suggested to me but not even remotely close to a really GPS, when trying Gaia it did not ever really do anything, you have to download the map of the are you are going to, then from what it seemed that I had to then put my position on that map. It probably works better than I got it working, but I want reliability and all the tings that come with a true GPS navigation system
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

I don’t endorse this model or mec, but I did receive an email today saying it was on sale. So if you’re considering this one than it’s a good time to buy

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/6024-7...r?colour=Black
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

Recent Nanaimo transplant to Williams Lake

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    Pioneerman . How easy is it to use, do you think it’s an easy learning curve for a a GPS newbie ?
    Thanks
    Arctic Lake
    I had very few issues, but also ran a different brand for 20 + years, so it is like getting a new phone, there is a learning curve. I really like that you can put your track right onto Google earth and save or export to others, and when they get the file they click on it and opens in Google earth instantly, (if they have it installed ) I have a friend who is totally lost with any tech stuff so it is like brain surgery to him. But it is pretty straight forward,and tons of videos for each model on YT

This is what I bought https://www.cabelas.ca/product/130921
    "People who know the least always argue the most."

"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right, you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."

Recent Nanaimo transplant to Williams Lake

Quote Originally Posted by Bustercluck View Post
    I don’t endorse this model or mec, but I did receive an email today saying it was on sale. So if you’re considering this one than it’s a good time to buy

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/6024-7...r?colour=Black
    Thank it not a gps it is like a locator and messenger , you can not see your track or where you are and you have to have a satellite subscription for service, but can be very helpful, but not for setting tracks and way points and storing them for later
    "People who know the least always argue the most."

"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right, you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."

Thank You Pioneerman
    Arctic Lake
    Quote Originally Posted by Pioneerman View Post
    I had very few issues, but also ran a different brand for 20 + years, so it is like getting a new phone, there is a learning curve. I really like that you can put your track right onto Google earth and save or export to others, and when they get the file they click on it and opens in Google earth instantly, (if they have it installed ) I have a friend who is totally lost with any tech stuff so it is like brain surgery to him. But it is pretty straight forward,and tons of videos for each model on YT

This is what I bought https://www.cabelas.ca/product/130921
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Not trying to take over the post, but I have been trying to figure out what to purchase as well (and am confused with all the options). It seems the application matters. For example:

1) If you know where to drive to, but want to make sure you can get back to your truck, then a Garmin e-trex or other simple versions that help you hike to and from your starting point.
    2) Pair the above with something like a Zoleo if you want to be able to send simple check-in messages (with subscription) and have an SOS button
    3) Integrate both functions into one unit (less to forget), like the Garmin 66i or 67i and you can hike and messages (with subscription). But do folks also use these to navigate when driving in their truck?
    4) i-hunter or BRMB Pro to help see where you can legally hunt (e.g., where the MUs are and where private land is etc.). Both in the field and driving in the truck?

If you want one device to help navigate in the truck, and then to and from the truck once you park and burn the boot leather (and keep the wife and kids happy by sending 'I'm fine' messages), is that a Garmin 66i or 67i. And then also the i-Hunter (or similar) to make sure you are legally allowed to hunt on that land?

I'm going in circles so any advice appreciated. And thanks, Arctic Lake for posting!

Cheers,
    Stew Pot
    Tight lines. Tight groups.