Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Garmin GPS

Garmin GPS

I know this topic gets beat to death so apologies in advance !
    What Garmin device do you use ?
    Im thinking about buying one . Something that has. bigger screen and has In Reach maybe for safety . But if it’s to complicated to use it won’t get used and it would be up for sale .
    Thank You !
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Garmin GPS

Have had the Montana 650 for around 10 years now, for some reason it won't work with batteries anymore so basically stays plugged into the 12V adapter on the quad. Just picked up the 67i to carry on my person, haven't used it much yet but seems good so far. Was considering the Montana 700i but went with the smaller form factor and much longer battery life of the 67i.

Started with an Oregon many years ago, have had a basic Montana for some time now. Reliable kit with an abundance of accessories available. Mount for motorbike or quad is definitely a good thing. There are a lot of features with these but the basic nav functions are relatively intuitive & easy to use. You can certainly deep dive into the options & tailor them for various uses or simply use the default profiles depending on what you are doing. Recreational, road, marine etc. I had to purchase the TOPO Canada CD separately back in the day but was able to xfer the data from the Oregon to the Montana. I think nowadays the TOPO files can be pre installed or are available on SD card.

The old Oregon. I scratched the screen after years of use, tried to diy a replacement & broke a connector inside. If I hadn't messed with it I might still have it. But the scratch annoyed me, sooo...

The RAM mount system for my Montana is a bit more sophisticated than what I had for the Oregon

Thanks drumboy and Mike !
    Arctic Lake

From 2004-2018 I used a Garmin Legend. 2019-2022 a Garmin 66i

This spring I picked up the 67i, for the extra battery life (about 5x longer than the 66i)

I really like the inReach capability and the fairly compact size of the 66/67i models
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Thank You Mr.Bartell !
    Arctic Lake

My question is . Is it easy to operate ? I’m not to tech advanced . If it has a long learning curve it won’t get used . Does it have features I won’t use ?

#1 I would like the GPS to have InReach ?
    #2 Need it to mark waypoints ?
    #3 Larger screen is a bonus ?
    #4 What else would I need for hunting ?
    Arctic Lake
    Quote Originally Posted by todbartell View Post
    From 2004-2018 I used a Garmin Legend. 2019-2022 a Garmin 66i

This spring I picked up the 67i, for the extra battery life (about 5x longer than the 66i)

I really like the inReach capability and the fairly compact size of the 66/67i models

It looks like they’ve discontinued the older models. If you want the inreach capability than you’re stuck with a few different models.

https://www.garmin.com/en-CA/c/outdo...communicators/
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

Montana 680 ! I like the big screen RJ

Thank You !
    Arctic Lake
    Quote Originally Posted by Bustercluck View Post
    It looks like they’ve discontinued the older models. If you want the inreach capability than you’re stuck with a few different models.

https://www.garmin.com/en-CA/c/outdo...communicators/