Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 'Meat' saw advice

'Meat' saw advice

I've been thinking about adding an electric saw to my hunting kit. Yes, I can break down an animal without one. But, for expediency sometimes there's nothing like sawing along the spine or cutting the ribs down.

I have the Milwaukee M12 kit and love it. I have used the 'hacksall' to cut some ribs down to useful size - but I'm not a fan.

I was going to buy the mini-chainsaw. It's 6" long and called the 'hatchet'. https://www.homedepot.ca/product/mil...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

But, I recently saw the 3" cut off saw. I hadn't see that before. https://www.homedepot.ca/product/mil...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

I'm kind of leaning towards the cut off saw. Seems like it would be cleaner and no need for oil.

Anybody have any thoughts on the matter?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: 'Meat' saw advice

The cut off saw will not have a lot of depth for the cut and will be very hard to clean.
    Growing old is unavoidable. Growing up is highly overrated....

I have a meat saw from a knife shop in Chilliwack. (I use at home)
    I also have a Wyoming saw that’s breaks down into a Fanny pack type belt. (I take it on fly in hunts)
    I’ve used a saws all on moose too.(to heavy for fly ins) (It works like dream to go down the spine) and wash it out with a pressure washer. Obviously a pressure washer is to heavy to pack around too!

Quote Originally Posted by digger dogger View Post
    I have a meat saw from a knife shop in Chilliwack. (I use at home)
    I also have a Wyoming saw that’s breaks down into a Fanny pack type belt. (I take it on fly in hunts)
    I’ve used a saws all on moose too.(to heavy for fly ins) (It works like dream to go down the spine) and wash it out with a pressure washer. Obviously a pressure washer is to heavy to pack around too!
    Yeah, I thought about buying a nice meat handsaw. But, a good one is almost as expensive as buying an M12 tool.

hmmm used a Miluaki...or Dewalt...2 batteries..

BLADE is 12 inch BI METAL 3 TPI deconstruction blade ie nails/timber etc...

can take head off..4 legs...split the briskett and pelvis..and down the complete spine split it 10 minutes with one person stabalizing the carcass.
    once in the butcher room..no saws only knives = boneless cuts..

cheers
    Steven
    ps did try a mini chainsaw once..messed up meat and tore the cuts horribly IMO

second what srupp said get a battery powered sawzall with a meat blade, works like a charm!

There are stainless steel sawzall blades made for meat cutting. They don't leave paint behind when you cut.
    It aint easy being green

Wonder what Amp battery you would need ?
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

The bigger the battery the better. You will notice a huge difference between a 5ah battery and an 8 or 12ah. The bigger battery lasts longer and really let's you power through things without the saw slowing down.

This was discussed on another site recently.

The only really good option is to use a Sawzall of whatever brand of battery operated tools you prefer.

I use 18V and 36V Makita tools, but Milwaukee would probably be my choice if I was going to start over again with battery operated tools.

There are lots of blade options but they need coarse teeth and to be relatively long. I used a stiff demolition blade last year, but may opt for an actual meat cutting blade now that I see they are available.

A disc type saw like that cut-off saw would be awful.

Chainsaws are fast, but super messy to clean up and sanitize.

NH3
    NFA, CCFR, BCWF