Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Logging practises

Logging practises

I've been noticing a number of clearcuts in recent years that have not been cleaned up as well as they used to be or perhaps should be in my opinion. It seems the ones where the roads are still active are cleaned up, but the ones with deactivated roads not so much. I'm starting to get the impression that some logging companies figure if people can't see it, they don't have to clean it up. Is this permitted? It’s my understanding that any logs that are not hauled away are to be placed in slash piles and burned when the temps are cooler. I realize logging companies are going to miss a log here and there and I’m not concerned about that, but I’ve seen some clearcuts that are completely littered with logs that were not fresh and had been left. Navigating these clearcuts becomes nearly impossible for humans and I’m sure large game would mostly avoid them as well.

A few questions:

1. Where can I find the rules regarding the clean up of clearcuts?
    2. Do logging companies have a certain amount of time before they have to clean it up?
    3. What’s the best way to find out which company logged a certain area?
    4. Does the ministry regularly visit logging sites to ensure standards are being followed?
    5. If I wanted to file a complaint, what’s the best way to do it?

Any info is appreciated. I don't know much about the topic, so looking to be educated here.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Logging practises

What you are seeing is not unique to your area. Over here on the island, the logging practices and reforestation I have seen is beyond pathetic. I think the logging companies play the government, pleading poverty, while getting the trees out as quickly as they can. If the Government starts enforcing the rules, these companies will whine like a gut shot dog, and tell the Government they will have to start laying off loggers. At that point the Government will back of. It has always been my conclusion on the Island (the land of gates) that gates are installed on logging roads to keep the public in the dark. If most people saw the mess these companies create, and their poor logging practices, there would be a large back lash. Good luck with your quest

Quote Originally Posted by JDR View Post
    I've been noticing a number of clearcuts in recent years that have not been cleaned up as well as they used to be or perhaps should be in my opinion. It seems the ones where the roads are still active are cleaned up, but the ones with deactivated roads not so much. I'm starting to get the impression that some logging companies figure if people can't see it, they don't have to clean it up. Is this permitted? It’s my understanding that any logs that are not hauled away are to be placed in slash piles and burned when the temps are cooler. I realize logging companies are going to miss a log here and there and I’m not concerned about that, but I’ve seen some clearcuts that are completely littered with logs that were not fresh and had been left. Navigating these clearcuts becomes nearly impossible for humans and I’m sure large game would mostly avoid them as well.

A few questions:

2. Do logging companies have a certain amount of time before they have to clean it up?
    4. Does the ministry regularly visit logging sites to ensure standards are being followed?

Any info is appreciated. I don't know much about the topic, so looking to be educated here.
    Best way to find out what company logged an area is to talk with anyone out there working, or call the ministry of forest/department of natural rescoures for the Okanagan and ask them who has the contract for the area/FSR and they should be able to provide you with names and contact information. This is a good idea, some of the stuff I have to walk through in region to is just, f***ed. Be it a few years after the operation or 10-15 some of the stuff takes forever to rot. If you get some questions to your answers you should post them back here.
    Last edited by TheObserver; 06-20-2023 at 09:59 AM.

logging companies get fined for any merchanible timber...in the old days they left quite a bit but had salvage crews come in and do clean up...if they leave minimal wood it is no longer profitable for salvagers and in the end more wood gets left behind...not always a straightforward cause and effect...

Good Questions.

Quote Originally Posted by JDR View Post

A few questions:

Every cutblock is assessed for waste. The survey is very thorough and overkill in my opinion. Any merchantable wood left on site is paid for by the licensee. The licensee also has their cut reduced by the same amount, so they get hit twice for waste. The slash piles are also assessed as part of this, so it's a bad idea to put logs in the slash piles. These assessments must be done prior to slash burning as well. I work for a forest company and manage the reforestation program. There are many factors that play into how much wood is left on the blocks.
    1. Often the logs left are already down prior to logging and would be considered "dead useless" or "dead potential" from the timber cruise. The threshold for this is 50% sound volume. Often it's not worth it to even pick up the dead downed logs.
    2. Certain areas have targets for course woody debris (CWD). In this case logs are often left on purpose for habitat for small critters and nutrient cycling.
    3. Sometimes logs are left to create plantable spots to protect the trees that are planted to regenerate the block. The microsites increase moisture and shade, and protect the seedlings from heat and snowpress. This sometimes makes the block very difficult to walk through for people and animals. This can be on purpose to deter animals from browsing and trampling the new seedlings. I deal with this often from range cattle, and wish there was more slash left on some blocks.
    4. Sometimes wood left in a nice pile on the landing is because there is not enough for a load and it is cheaper to pay for the waste, then pay to haul it. Yes this looks bad, but it's simple economics.

I agree there are some cases that are inexcusable, but the licensee is not getting off without paying for it. There is a legal process in place to address this.

Typically the problems are more of a lack of understanding by the general public and they think it's bad without really knowing how things work.

Also, to the comment about gates on the island, I believe that is mostly private. Not much you can do there. It's like someone coming into your fenced backyard and saying it is a messy junk hole. Might be true, but it's your property and you can do what you like with it.

CPR got a big chunk of Vancouver Island.That's where that private comes from.

wood debris is habitat too, clean is so subjective

maybe try here for answers
    https://www.bcfpb.ca/
    Glad to say I have hunted Northern BC

Simon Fraser had pretty good judgement on what he found in BC

Thanks, koothunter, for your thorough explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by koothunter View Post
    Every cutblock is assessed for waste. The survey is very thorough and overkill in my opinion. Any merchantable wood left on site is paid for by the licensee. The licensee also has their cut reduced by the same amount, so they get hit twice for waste. The slash piles are also assessed as part of this, so it's a bad idea to put logs in the slash piles. These assessments must be done prior to slash burning as well. I work for a forest company and manage the reforestation program. There are many factors that play into how much wood is left on the blocks.
    1. Often the logs left are already down prior to logging and would be considered "dead useless" or "dead potential" from the timber cruise. The threshold for this is 50% sound volume. Often it's not worth it to even pick up the dead downed logs.
    2. Certain areas have targets for course woody debris (CWD). In this case logs are often left on purpose for habitat for small critters and nutrient cycling.
    3. Sometimes logs are left to create plantable spots to protect the trees that are planted to regenerate the block. The microsites increase moisture and shade, and protect the seedlings from heat and snowpress. This sometimes makes the block very difficult to walk through for people and animals. This can be on purpose to deter animals from browsing and trampling the new seedlings. I deal with this often from range cattle, and wish there was more slash left on some blocks.
    4. Sometimes wood left in a nice pile on the landing is because there is not enough for a load and it is cheaper to pay for the waste, then pay to haul it. Yes this looks bad, but it's simple economics.

I agree there are some cases that are inexcusable, but the licensee is not getting off without paying for it. There is a legal process in place to address this.

Typically the problems are more of a lack of understanding by the general public and they think it's bad without really knowing how things work.

Also, to the comment about gates on the island, I believe that is mostly private. Not much you can do there. It's like someone coming into your fenced backyard and saying it is a messy junk hole. Might be true, but it's your property and you can do what you like with it.
    Hey KH or anyone who might know, I’ve seen some cut blocks that have had the stumps pulled out of the ground and left before replanting, what is ultimately the purpose of this practice?