Thread: Pheasants and quail

Pheasants and quail

Hey Gang,

Once again I am on the search for wild pheasants and quails as the LEH was not kind to me. I am happy to travel anywhere in the province to find them on crown land, Ive heard from penticton south to the border but dont know where to start looking. Ive scouted and looked arond vernon but found nothing outside of city limits, could have taken a limit of both pheasant and quail and vernon NORD the fire training centre but they know they are safe down low. If anyone knows or helps point me in the right direction it would be appreciated. I am always happy to provide some great areas for chukar, grouse and rabbits around kamloops. My lab would love some wild birds and my 16 gauge is polished and ready. I get three day weekends during the week which is optimal for avoiding the crowds and am more than willing to put in the kilometers hiking and scouting.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Pheasants and quail

It doesn’t seem like you’re getting much help here. I’ve heard there are a decent number of pheasants around Salmon Arm, but that the majority are on private land. If there are any off the fields, it will be a needle in the haystack type situation. Making nice with the farmers seems to be the only good option there.

I’ve spent quite a bit of time hunting and scouting the south Okanagan area, and I’ve never seen or heard of a pheasant. Quail are almost always in town. Kelowna has the most I’ve seen, but again, all in city limits.
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

Quail in my yard almost daily. I also had a pheasant pop by years ago but have never encountered either on crown land. Best of luck to you but I'm afraid Redthies is right, needle in haystack scenario on crown land.

After tooling around my front yard, this fine specimen took a perch on neighbour's roof.

Ive seen them in town, At the salmon arm pier area, in vernon around the edge but never outside of city limits. I will try to make a couple trips down south and get the dog into the bush, see what I find.

Yah the only place I’ve seen quail is in town for the most part.
    Haven’t seen any where you can actually shoot them. Too bad as they are one of the best tasting game birds imho

Quote Originally Posted by Redthies View Post
    It doesn’t seem like you’re getting much help here. I’ve heard there are a decent number of pheasants around Salmon Arm, but that the majority are on private land. If there are any off the fields, it will be a needle in the haystack type situation. Making nice with the farmers seems to be the only good option there.

I’ve spent quite a bit of time hunting and scouting the south Okanagan area, and I’ve never seen or heard of a pheasant. Quail are almost always in town. Kelowna has the most I’ve seen, but again, all in city limits.
    Yes most I've seen is in town Kelowna near Hosp/Misson creek. A very few further south but that was quite a few years ago.