Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Crossbow purchasing advice

Re: Crossbow purchasing advice

Quote Originally Posted by Pioneerman View Post
    Are you seriously shooting at a target inside your vehicle lol
    The Excaliburs are so accurate there's little chance of missing the bullseye, let alone the target block.
    When in doubt, just pin it.

Oh I guess I'll add my 2 cents worth. So far, most comments are pretty good. I would like to address a few other points.

1- Crossbows need to be looked at similar to rifle calibers. Not all calibers are appropriate or recommended on all big game species. For example, when shooting deer, most crossbows pack plenty of punch needed. But, some crossbows come a bit short on the big animals like elk and moose in my opinion, especially when reaching out a bit further, which is usually the case here when compared to hunting deer.

Contrarily, when shooting at deer, especially at closer ranges, a really powerful bow will certainly do the job, but your chances at finding that arrow is definitely reduced. Quality arrows and broadheads are not cheap. Something to consider if you don't like wasting money or the thought of leaving a really sharp object SOMEWHERE out there. I put in a lot of effort in for that second reason.

As you mentioned about shoulder injury, if you have a cocking device you are fine with any crossbow no matter the pull needed to load the device. But, keep in mind, with a powerful bow, if for any reason you don't have that cocking device with you in the field, your bow is absolutely useless. Unless you are Samson. That was brought home to me in strong fashion when about 4 years ago, I called in a big bull moose to within 20 yards, reached in to my pocket only to realize I left the device back at camp. BUMMER!

One more consideration is the style of hunting you will doing, For example, if you do a lot of stalking or traveling thru thick bush to get to your sweet spot, a compact bow is a serious consideration. I don't know how many times when walking to my hunt spot early in the dark of morning thru some bush and my bow seemingly catching on every branch. Well not every branch, but you get the idea. Annoying!

To summarize, I have 2 crossbows in addition to normal compound bows. I have a Excalibur mega 405, for the big boys. This bow is extremely powerful. But, I quickly gave up on it for deer hunting. This bow will put an arrow thru a deer and keep going over the other side of the valley. Good luck finding that arrow.

The second bow is a compound crossbow which I can pull by hand without the need for a cocking device. Rated at 175 lb pull and 330 ft per second. I have successfully taken dozens of bears and dozens of deer with this bow over the years. Not all arrows are a complete pass thru, but they certainly get the job done well enough. Never lost an arrow. Usually pass thru arrows are withing 10 yards or so of deer shot spot. I just wish this bow would be more compact for the reason of travelling thru the bush as mentioned above. Some of the newer compact crossbows are insanely compact.

Hope that helps........Don
    Always EXPECT the UNEXPECTED!

Had a bad shoulder for a couple years. Bought a Micro 380 a year ago. Shoulder is better, bow is for sale now... ngbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?174526-Excalibur-Micro-380-Pro
    "When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."

I don't think accuracy is a problem with any of the new Cross Bows... I had a reverse compound X Bow and when target shooting had to use a different bull for each shot or risk damaging a bolt. I really liked the compact narrow package a reverse is.
    I am away April 27, 28, 29 and unable to respond to PM's
    . . . . .If I don't respond to your postings, maybe it is because you are on my "IGNORE" list
    . . . . . . . . . . . . I don't see the garbage you write. It's a wonderful tool

Purchased a Bear CD Intense Xbow a few years back . Put a new Ravin scope on it ( good out to 100 yards - doable for this Xbox as it is very powerful ) . Cocked only ten inches wide . Uncocked 14 inches . Add in Grim Reaper BH's , and you have a very good combo for deer , bear , elk and moose .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20230715_164909_resized.jpg  

Is a xbow in the 320 fps 200 lb size even worth trying for hunting ?
    Excalibur, so must be an older unit
    Glad to say I have hunted Northern BC

Simon Fraser had pretty good judgement on what he found in BC

Quote Originally Posted by high horse Hal View Post
    Is a xbow in the 320 fps 200 lb size even worth trying for hunting ?
    Excalibur, so must be an older unit
    Guys hunt with recurve bows( traditional) . So the answer to your question is yes that bow will be more than adequate.

I've talked to guys who had pass throughs on moose at 70 yards with Excalibur Exomax bows, which was rated at 330 fps/200 lb pull
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004