Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Time to make room in the freezer

Time to make room in the freezer

Another 3 months or so before the season kicks back in. I figured it was time to start working on cleaning out the freezer. Roasted up a goose that fed me for the better part of 4 days. More pictures to follow to get your mouths watering.

Member of the Following Organizations:

BCWF

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Time to make room in the freezer

Boy that dose look good.Steve!

Looks great man! Cheers...

I did another look in the freezer last night and this time it was 3 widgeon to hit the oven. Man I had forgotten how much I enjoy eating waterfowl! I was surprised I expected the bird in the middle with lots of fat would be more tender but thinking back now the ones with little to no fat may have been young ducks. Either way they were delicious.

BCWF

I have a few Canada Goose breasts & a duck (breasts & legs) in the freezer. Aside from posting photos do you have some recipe recommendations? The goose breast can be tough if not done up right. I believe I brined it overnight last time I cooked one.

My oldest boy got into waterfowl this year with buddy and is finally old enough to hunt on his own. They got a bunch of geese and he made some jerky out of some of it and it was so good even the wife ( who turns her snob nose up at most wild game and most meat) loved it.
    One day I was quickly going though the freezer in the AM to find some elk steaks for dinner and came across what I though was elk steak in a vacuum sealed bag with no label….. long story short imagine my surprise when I got home in the evening to start cooking elks steaks for dinner and found they had some extra BB sized holes in them…. Who shoot my elk steaks with a shot gun??
    I butterflied them, spices them like the steak I was gonna eat and fried them in a frying pan with butter. Really enjoyed them, would eat them anytime. I might have to get in on this northern wildflower’s paradise someday.

Was out with a consultant and some sandhill cranes flew over head…. “ ribeye of the sky he says”
    Is it true?
    If the world is warming why are there so many new snowflakes?

If we are all equal why do you demand special treatment?

You can not comply your way out of tyranny.

Fire them ALL!

Quote Originally Posted by mike31154 View Post
    I have a few Canada Goose breasts & a duck (breasts & legs) in the freezer. Aside from posting photos do you have some recipe recommendations? The goose breast can be tough if not done up right. I believe I brined it overnight last time I cooked one.
    One thing you could do with the breast is treat it like a veal cutlet. Pound the crap out of it with a tenderizing hammer and use a jaccard on it. then marinade it with mustard and mayo in the fridge for a couple of hours and dip in some panko and into the deep fat fryer.

Another option for breast is to put it through a meat grinder. 50% breast meat to 50% bacon . Makes amazing burgers.

Thighs I usually set them to simmer for 3 or 4 hours with a chopped up onion, salt and summer savoury. Let them cool, then peel off the meat from the bones. the tendons and ligaments should fall off the bone at that point. Then use the water you used to boil them in and make a water based stew or Fricot as we call it back east with potatoes , carrots, onions and dumplings. I use summer savory and salt as the spices the rest ofthe flavour comes from the goose.

Hope that helps!

BCWF

Quote Originally Posted by Husky7mm View Post
    Was out with a consultant and some sandhill cranes flew over head…. “ ribeye of the sky he says”
    Is it true?
    I haven't tried them myself but have heard from others that this is fact the case.

BCWF

Quote Originally Posted by mike31154 View Post
    https://honest-food.net/

Lots of goodies on here!!

Thx for the recipe ideas & link folks.