Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Sheep hunting 2023

Re: Sheep hunting 2023

Why so many people go early, more bugs tougher to keep care of meat/hide etc more pressure
    late may get weathered out but nicer capes, less pressure easier to look after meat
    Those dark black capes from the muskwa late in season were just so nice.
    last 2 weeks of season IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by LBM View Post
    Why so many people go early, more bugs tougher to keep care of meat/hide etc more pressure
    late may get weathered out but nicer capes, less pressure easier to look after meat
    We've been going last two weeks in aug for quite a few years now, but before that we did probably 4 years in a row at last week aug and 1st week of sept. One trip before that we hunted sheep last 2 weeks of sept and that was great. Beautiful time of year.
    I only hunted the first couple weeks in aug a couple times and it’s definitely not my favorite time to go. But the problem is hunting sheep later can interfere with other planned hunts so it’s tough to organize. Last 2 weeks in aug has been the compromise for a long time, but I would love to try a late September into October sheep hunt some time. The main problem is I hate being cold ha ha.

I've been hunting sheep for over 50 years early season mid season and end of season. Never had a problem taking care of meat and cape in august. No question bugs are bad but worth it where im going. As far as pressure i rarely see anyone where im hunting. Yes i also like the darker capes i have a few nice ones posted in the the photo gallery. In fact a real dark one from the chizca area. Good luck if your going in

Sounds awesome stoneramhunter, wish I was coming with you! Lol I’m heading in early with my girlfriend and dogs, hopefully our little pack can seal the deal again. With an October solo hunt in my back pocket again if I still have a tag. 50 years, man I bet you got some good stories.

Two weeks till i head out for my sheep hunt. Putting about 3 miles a day in hikes to adjust the body for my trip Rifle is sighted in slowly putting my gear together in my customized stone glacier pack.will pick up food few days before i leave. all the best to any sheep hunters heading out

I’ll be going solo with my dog for the opener. Hike in off the hwy 4 days early, going in about a day and a half, maybe more. See what I find. Tweeted my back last weekend and it’s frustrating not being able to train with a pack. It’s getting better, hope it’s all good in the next few days here. 50lbs pack, custom rem700, 30/06, carbon IBI barrel, carbon stock, Leupy 3.5-10. Good luck to all.
    "I prefer the pori to the imprisonment of streets, the twinkling stars to lamps, the sigh of the primeval forest to the tramp of thousands of human feet."................James Sutherland

Quote Originally Posted by piperdown View Post
    looking forward to your report, how ironic on your choice of fire arm i will assume your rifle is unvaccinated and knows everything and barks really loud when fired

lmffao !
    Last edited by REMINGTON JIM; 07-14-2023 at 09:42 PM.

I have been keeping an eye on the snow/water index. Luckily for us we are heading an spot we know well and holds water in certain areas regardless of snowpack levels. Going to be a battle for some people for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by LBM View Post
    Ive gone august, sept and oct on sheep hunts. There are pros and cons to all options. The best part about early season is the long days and usually better weather. Been lucky with bugs and it isnt hard to get to spots that are less crowded. Lots of lazy sheep hunters

Quote Originally Posted by Ramhunter85 View Post
    Ive gone august, sept and oct on sheep hunts. There are pros and cons to all options. The best part about early season is the long days and usually better weather. Been lucky with bugs and it isnt hard to get to spots that are less crowded. Lots of lazy sheep hunters
    lol so true