Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Sheep hunting 2023

Re: Sheep hunting 2023

Quote Originally Posted by stoneramhunter View Post
    Getting ready for my sheep hunt region 7. Been working myself into shape seems to take longer every year lol. Heading into the mountains for the opening. Hopefully the weather eases up on the heat. This year is a drop off by bush plane and 2 day hike into my spot. For those wondering husquvarna 7mm mag 160 grain. rifle and pack 50 lbs. good luck everyone.
    I always get excited about sheep hunting, but a Husqvarna in a 7mm Rem Mag no doubt is really interesting!! Love my Huskys x 2!

For my part - our plan is to drive up to the operator, fly out on the 28th! We'll hike in 1 - 2 days depending on what we see!! Pack will be about 60lbs taking my Kimber Hunter 270 (140gr Accubond handload) sporting a Zeiss V4 4-16.
    Regards,

Ltbullken
    Freelance Wildlife Population Manager
    Animals - If you can't eat 'em, wear 'em!

Quote Originally Posted by stoneramhunter View Post
    I just had a look on the nasa fire sattelite current and its not showing any fire in the area? there was one a few weeks ago but it was closer to kluchesi and the other was to the south east closer to the highway.
    is on the BC wildfire app is says its 5km North of beckman creek.

Quote Originally Posted by madcalfe View Post
    is on the BC wildfire app is says its 5km North of beckman creek.
    Yes i see that now not far from big nines "god's green acres camp" fortunatley no where near where im going.

As of right now the plan looks like I’m going in a group of four with my wife, brother and a good friend of ours. We’ll likely split up about 30kms back and I’ll hunt with my wife. We’re going later this year from sep 3-15 ish. Hopefully it doesn’t snow
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

It looks like it’s going to be a thirsty year this year up high. Anyone else been watching the average snow/water index? This time last year we were over 100% in the peace, this year We’r already at zero (almost to zero in the Skeena / Nass.

Watching snow reports, the last two years shows a good amount of snow still for June where we’r flying to, this year looks next to nil on the satellite imagery. We’r planning our hunt around water supply this season.

Good luck and I hope it's a successful hunt. I'm wondering about how dry it's going to be and being able to source water. My training plan has been derailed with a bout of bronchitis. Hopefully it can get back on track before we fly in at the end of August.

Quote Originally Posted by Ltbullken View Post
    I always get excited about sheep hunting, but a Husqvarna in a 7mm Rem Mag no doubt is really interesting!! Love my Huskys x 2!

For my part - our plan is to drive up to the operator, fly out on the 28th! We'll hike in 1 - 2 days depending on what we see!! Pack will be about 60lbs taking my Kimber Hunter 270 (140gr Accubond handload) sporting a Zeiss V4 4-16.
    Really comfortable with my rifle. I've been hunting sheep with my Husky 7mm rem mag for at least 45 years, swarovski 3x9 scope , Mcmillan stock, fluted douglas barrel. Prior to that i had a 270 husky that i used.

For the boaters — reports are that the rivers are low already. Still enough water for now.

good sized fire near Turnagain/Ketchika
    Glad to say I have hunted Northern BC

Simon Fraser had pretty good judgement on what he found in BC

19 days till i leave for my sheep hunt. Slowly putting my gear together and hoping it cools off a little or rains before I go lol. Fly in and good two day hike to my honey hole Been hiking every morning to get my legs in shape seems to be tougher every year lol.