Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Users of Kenetrek Mountain Extremes NI

Re: Users of Kenetrek Mountain Extremes NI

Quote Originally Posted by TheObserver View Post
    My only experience with vibram is with my current boots but I don't think these boots were designed for what I do, I was told before vibram were some of the best but these ones wore out quick
    Hope you are happy with the boots. I looked at those and almost pulled the trigger but know from experience for me, the Hanwag boot fits my foot like nothing else.

If you are happy with the soles on your kenetreks after a year, I'd email them and ask what sole they use and see if you can pick up a replacement set now knowing you will resole them at some point.

As far as Vibram soles go, I'll chime in as I have been down this road. "Vibram" make a !@#$load of different soles for boots. Not all are equal or fit for the same purpose.

Before you re-sole with a vibram sole, speak with a reputable cobbler that works with high end hiking/hunting boots and find out which vibram soles can be fitted to your footwear and that they are right for the purpose.

My Hanwag Alaskas have a nice grippy Vibram Foura sole that is very durable given how soft it feels. My Trapper tops (come with what I am told are vibram 1012 soles), very comfortable boot, but extremely hard soled (compared to the alaskas) that is unacceptable slick on logs, rock even wet steep trails. Probably great if all you walk in is soft ground, scree and snow. My Trapper Tops are getting resoled with Foura soles this week.

anyhow, sorry for the rant. But when it's time to resole your boots, seek a reputable cobber that works with high end hiking/hunting boots
    don't turn your awesome boots into useless pieces of #$%^ with the wrong soles.

Good luck with your hunts this fall

Last edited by Ron.C; 06-27-2023 at 08:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by swampthing View Post
    I ended up in a pair of hanwag trapper tops. These have been the most comfortable hunting boot I have worn. I ran them 3 seasons and then last year I cleaned them up and applied seam grip seam sealer to all the seams, greased them up with kenetrek boot grease and left them out on my covered deck in the hot summer sun for a week. The toe warped on one! I havent been able to straighten it out and it rubs two of my toes badly now. I never leave good enough alone so I replaced them with zamberlans new wasatch 981. These boots seem great but I bought a wide size, which is too wide for me so they will be up for sale. I have been working on fixing the toe in the old hanwags and have made some progress. I got an hour hike in last weekend with no toe rubbing!
    Sucks about your trapper tops! The zamberlan wasatch was actually one of the boots I was going to go with but ended up going with the mountain extremes. Good to hear about your boots and hike hopefully you get it figured out and it works out for ya

Quote Originally Posted by Ron.C View Post

Hope you are happy with the boots. I looked at those and almost pulled the trigger but know from experience for me, the Hanwag boot fits my foot like nothing else.

If you are happy with the soles on your kenetreks after a year, I'd email them and ask what sole they use and see if you can pick up a replacement set now knowing you will resole them at some point.

As far as Vibram soles go, I'll chime in as I have been down this road. "Vibram" make a !@#$load of different soles for boots. Not all are equal or fit for the same purpose.

Before you re-sole with a vibram sole, speak with a reputable cobbler that works with high end hiking/hunting boots and find out which vibram soles can be fitted to your footwear and that they are right for the purpose.

My Hanwag Alaskas have a nice grippy Vibram Foura sole that is very durable given how soft it feels. My Trapper tops (come with what I am told are vibram 1012 soles), very comfortable boot, but extremely hard soled (compared to the alaskas) that is unacceptable slick on logs, rock even wet steep trails. Probably great if all you walk in is soft ground, scree and snow. My Trapper Tops are getting resoled with Foura soles this week.

anyhow, sorry for the rant. But when it's time to resole your boots, seek a reputable cobber that works with high end hiking/hunting boots
    don't turn your awesome boots into useless pieces of #$%^ with the wrong soles.

Good luck with your hunts this fall

Makes sense, I was surprised at how fast they have become virtually flat especially after my buddy was raving about how the vibrams are the best, see them on so many different boots too and a lot of top boot brands use them.

Hahah you bet, I will take them to a reputable cobbler. At 800 bucks for these boots I am expecting a lot and will be doing all to maximize the life of them. They will be getting used scouting every weekend hard so I will be putting them to the test starting on the 8th. Should be good, never had my foot in a more comfortable boot.

You as well Ron, should be a good season! Been working hard have found some good stuff, very excited

I am very happy with mine. This is going to be my seventh season with them. Virtually no break in, soles are still decent(no worries of slipping ) and still not leaking. I treat them with Obenhaufs probably too much but it seems to be working so i keep overdoing it, boot wax is cheap. I have abused these boots every year and am still happy with them, wear them for every hunt. I am considering replacing and keeping these as back up but haven't quite justified it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Ride View Post
    I am very happy with mine. This is going to be my seventh season with them. Virtually no break in, soles are still decent(no worries of slipping ) and still not leaking. I treat them with Obenhaufs probably too much but it seems to be working so i keep overdoing it, boot wax is cheap. I have abused these boots every year and am still happy with them, wear them for every hunt. I am considering replacing and keeping these as back up but haven't quite justified it yet.
    Nice, glad to hear! Picking them up this Saturday and will be using them Sat and all day sun, looking forward to it and getting out of my old boots