Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kootenay Elk

Re: Kootenay Elk

Quote Originally Posted by ElliotMoose View Post
    It is not the same as it was 20 years ago when almost all the elk would migrate to the mountains as soon as the snow left. Now, majority of the elk in the EK are non-migratory and hangout in the trench in the farmers fields. Still, there are herds that head into the mountain drainages every summer, only in smaller numbers. The further you go into the road closures and back valleys, the better your chances at success as these elk see much less pressure and therefore still act like elk. Grab a spotting scope, find an hidden back basin and glass all the slides (avalanche chutes) and you will find elk. Look at the tops of mountains at the tree line as well. It still astonishes me how many elk hangout up at the mountain tops in what I would have formerly considered “goat only” country. Elk tend to hangout where the feed is good and the good feed is not in the same spot every year, so don’t necessarily expect to go into a spot year after year and be successful seeing elk. That’s my .02. Sounds like you’re on the right track though, certainly some decent opportunity left for the guy who doesn’t mind strapping on his pack and spending a night or two in the back country. I recommend buying a good compact hammock if you plan to spend nights on the mountain!
    I've also read a study on the Rocky mountain trench elk and the trend also show that the elk are starting to be more resident elk than migratory elk.

https://era.library.ualberta.ca/item...202101_MSc.pdf

Kinda discouraging that they're also not being managed properly. For what I've heard is that the population size goal is around 25,000 elk which is not a lot considering the area.

Well I guess I will have to start getting in shape for elk season.��

I’m in the same boat. This will be my second year heading to the EKs as well. Saw tons of hunters and a few elk last year but nothing anywhere near legal. Trying to decide if I want to focus on the same area or head somewhere new. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Dominik View Post
    I've also read a study on the Rocky mountain trench elk and the trend also show that the elk are starting to be more resident elk than migratory elk.

https://era.library.ualberta.ca/item...202101_MSc.pdf

Kinda discouraging that they're also not being managed properly. For what I've heard is that the population size goal is around 25,000 elk which is not a lot considering the area.

Well I guess I will have to start getting in shape for elk season.��
    I’d bet we had around 25k elk back in the early 2000’s when hunting was good, now we’re lucky if there’s 8k

Quote Originally Posted by savage10 View Post
    I’m in the same boat. This will be my second year heading to the EKs as well. Saw tons of hunters and a few elk last year but nothing anywhere near legal. Trying to decide if I want to focus on the same area or head somewhere new. Good luck!
    I know that feeling. Living in Kelowna doesn't make things easier for scouting either.
    I've heard the Region 7 still has some very good elk but that's one long drive to get there...

If you're headed to the kootenays, please learn how to count to '6'.

Listen to this podcast...
    https://play.stitcher.com/episode/206974555

If you're new to elk hunting, don't have an itchy trigger finger and practice counting to 6.

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by dapesche View Post

If you're new to elk hunting, don't have an itchy trigger finger and practice counting to 6.

Thank you
    Yup. Too many mistakes being made in the last few years.
    "A true conservationist is a man who knows that the world is not given by his fathers, but borrowed from his children." John James Audubon

Quote Originally Posted by dapesche View Post

Thank you
    I can vouch for Dominiks math abilities (he is my brother in-law) :P
    He didn't start off with a joke though so where are all the roasts calling for that???

Look, some folks will find elk down low or way up high, or any where in between.
    I would have to say mist elk are becoming resident elk vs migratory now.
    Back when we had good numbers, and elk did migrate, you could find them in the sub alpine no problem.
    Quite often in scree slopes by the dozens.
    And things change.
    I know one fellow who hunted hogs in area, quite the hike up the trail etc.
    But then it died out for years.
    Recently i am told he is seeing some again.
    I have seen elk last week of the season in sheep country in snow covered terrain.
    But it does seem the majority of elk there are taken low and with that comes hunter competition.
    If we could get the numbers back up, remove the Preds, we could see some real opportunity once again with plenty of area for everyone to find some space to hunt alone.

In Alberta we have pretty much lost our mountain migratory elk herds.
    The main cause is wolves taking out the adult elk year round, and bears eating most of the calves.
    To survive the predation, Elk have to be near humans now.

The gov can be blamed for the loss of migratory elk, just be sure to know what was screwed up.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenthumbed View Post
    Yup. Too many mistakes being made in the last few years.
    Ya I've heard that as well. That's why I'm overly cautious when it comes to actually pulling the trigger.
    I've never considered myself trigger happy. But self judgement can often be skewed.