Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kootenay Elk

Re: Kootenay Elk

There is lots of pressure on hunters to have success. Like you have said that the hunting pressure is incredibly high for too few legal bulls. Folks come from far and wide to hunt and hope to kill a bull. This is stressful when you have a limit amount to find that legal bull. This leads to some hunters to being more rash than they should. Too much pressure for failure leads to mistakes.
    That bull you called in to 50 yards was likely a 5-point or less. There really isn’t a whole lot of 6-point bulls out there and the ones that do grow 6-points get shot. Plain and simple. Not many, if any make it to the next season.
    I’ve spent a lot of time chasing elk in the East Kootenay over the last bunch of years. My partners and I have had some success, but for every 6-point we’ve seen there is ten or more 5-points that you call in. It’s hard to put in the time and effort and get that close and have to let it go…. But you have to….
    "A true conservationist is a man who knows that the world is not given by his fathers, but borrowed from his children." John James Audubon

Quote Originally Posted by Greenthumbed View Post
    There is lots of pressure on hunters to have success. Like you have said that the hunting pressure is incredibly high for too few legal bulls. Folks come from far and wide to hunt and hope to kill a bull. This is stressful when you have a limit amount to find that legal bull. This leads to some hunters to being more rash than they should. Too much pressure for failure leads to mistakes.
    That bull you called in to 50 yards was likely a 5-point or less. There really isn’t a whole lot of 6-point bulls out there and the ones that do grow 6-points get shot. Plain and simple. Not many, if any make it to the next season.
    I’ve spent a lot of time chasing elk in the East Kootenay over the last bunch of years. My partners and I have had some success, but for every 6-point we’ve seen there is ten or more 5-points that you call in. It’s hard to put in the time and effort and get that close and have to let it go…. But you have to….
    That sucks. I wish elk were better managed. We could learn a thing or two from our neighbors down south. I really hate the thought of elk going to LEH but maybe that's something that's necessary..

I’m with Greenthumbed.
    There are plenty of avid elk hunters both locally and from other Regions come every September chafing elk up there.
    Locals get to know where a legal bull might be lurking.
    Folks working daily in the field get know where a legal bull is.
    Come opening, those legal bulls are being hunted hard.
    Which leaves mostly 5 pts coming into calls and view.
    And there are some big 5 pt bulls in those ranks.
    So everyone has got to be extremely careful now.
    Hunting season does bring in a competitive nature amongst hunters and quarry.
    Its a shame the numbers are so down, and success so limited.
    Bit it’s the current reality.
    You really have to take your time to count.
    And you need to take the time to see the bull from several angles as well.
    It’s hard, when you think you only have seconds ti react.
    And sometimes you do only have aeconds.
    Thise are the times you have to let the bull walk.

Well Region 4 isnt the only region that has seen a very step increase in hunter ## chasing 6 point bull Elk .
    Region 8 is just like you describe Region 4
    At least that my finding after hunting them for over 40 + years in Region 8 .
    "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC
    ..... The NDP approach: if the facts don't fit your ideology, just pretend the facts don't exist.......

Yup, when a lot of long time EK elk hunters seen it going downhill, a lot went to the Peace Region.
    When the west joints opened up, many went there also.
    Now I see the permits in R2 are increasing as well.
    About the only area where the numbers are going up, due most likely to limited access, limited opportunity and no wolves, or not enough yet.
    Plus a lot if hunters know how to hunt elk now with all the advancements in elk calls etc.

I agree that too much pressure can lead to mistakes, and the amount of 5 point bulls shot in R4 the last few years is terrible.. but, I honestly don't believe that every bull elk gets shot as soon as it turns into a legal 6 point..mature bull elk are for the most part, quite savvy...and of course the amount of 6 points that survive the season will vary from WMU to WMU..

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    I agree that too much pressure can lead to mistakes, and the amount of 5 point bulls shot in R4 the last few years is terrible.. but, I honestly don't believe that every bull elk gets shot as soon as it turns into a legal 6 point..mature bull elk are for the most part, quite savvy...and of course the amount of 6 points that survive the season will vary from WMU to WMU..
    Stupid question: What is "R2" and "R4"?

Quote Originally Posted by Dominik View Post
    Stupid question: What is "R2" and "R4"?
    He is talking about regions, ex. Region 4 = Kootenays.

You have opportunity within hours of where you live if you put the time in. You can scout way more. Okanagan Elk may seem harder, or impossible but there not, if you put the time in the mountains and study the area and them you will find them.

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    Definitely don't all get shot, there are smart Bulls out there that are masters at evading and staying hidden just like smart big Bucks. There are big Bulls out there they can just be hard to lay eyes on let a lone kill

Quote Originally Posted by TheObserver View Post
    He is talking about regions, ex. Region 4 = Kootenays.

You have opportunity within hours of where you live if you put the time in. You can scout way more. Okanagan Elk may seem harder, or impossible but there not, if you put the time in the mountains and study the area and them you will find them.
    Ya I had that facepalm moment where I realized what he meant. Ya I need to get out more. I definitely don't spend enough time scouting. My brother in law recently saw a herd of elk of around 150 in the Okanagan so that's very promising.

BTW love your signature or qhatever its called underneath your posts