Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Kootenay Elk

Re: Kootenay Elk

Quote Originally Posted by Dominik View Post
    Ya I had that facepalm moment where I realized what he meant. Ya I need to get out more. I definitely don't spend enough time scouting. My brother in law recently saw a herd of elk of around 150 in the Okanagan so that's very promising.

BTW love your signature or qhatever its called underneath your posts
    I worked hard last year went to the OK every second weekend scouting, it resulted in me finding not one but four different places where Elk have been rutting for a long time. There may be more of them in the Kootenays, and the OK Elk are a tough hunt, but if you can learn an area that is much closer to where you live and you can spend more time there learning it your odds might be better.

Re: Kootenay Elk

Quote Originally Posted by TheObserver View Post
    Definitely don't all get shot, there are smart Bulls out there that are masters at evading and staying hidden just like smart big Bucks. There are big Bulls out there they can just be hard to lay eyes on let a lone kill
    Exactly my friend... I'll give you guys an example: I have an area in R4 where I've hunted elk the last few seasons- the last time a friend and I had cams in the area, we were monitoring a bachelor group of bulls through the summer - there was 6 bulls in the group, and 5 of them were legal, 1 was a 7 point, the next season, I only hunted the area 3 days, saw 2 bulls, both were legal (1 we harvested).. ya they are hard to find, but they are around... and as discussed in a recent previous thread, we shouldn't be talking about closing hunter opportunities, sometimes it seems like we as hunters can be our own worst enemy- that being said, we do need all hunters to ensure they're being ethical and counting properly, as the amount of illegal bulls shot is terrible..that is definitely detrimental to maintaining a GOS (general open season)..