Hey guys,
Decided to start my first thread

I am looking at going elk hunting in the east Kootenays this fall (I'm one of many I guess) and I was wondering if there are elk in the mountains or if they are all in the valley.

Let me elaborate:
I went on an elk hunt last year in the east Koots and it seemed like all the hunters were down at the base of the mountains in the main valley (not sure what its called but I mean the valley that cranbrook is in)
Let's just say I saw more hunters than elk, even though I I did call in a bull to about 50 yards but couldn't get a visual due to thick brush.
It just felt like all the hunters are on one pile competing for a few animals.
It was really frustrating to have so many hunters around and pretty much no elk.

This year I wanted to go deeper into the backcountry to get away from all the pressure. My question is: Is it worth going that deep or not? Are there elk that deep in or do they all hang out in the main valley at the fields.

I have spent countless hours escouting the region but I thought I could get more help on here.
This will be my second year of hunting the east Kootenays and my third year hunting in BC altogether so I am not really familiar with the area that much. I am planning on a scouting trip either end of July or beginning of August.

Any help/tips would be appreciated.

Cheers