Thread: Canned Bear Recipes?

Canned Bear Recipes?

Anyone want to share a canned bear recipe? Or for that matter any canned red meat recipe.. I'm going to do a bunch of half pint jars for grab and go meals that don't need to be refrigerated. I'm going to start experimenting with a few different ingredients this weekend.

Im thinking onions, peppers and bbq sauce would be tasty..
    Last edited by ElectricDyck; 06-01-2023 at 09:56 AM.
    "Our arrows will block out the sun!" "Then we shall fight in the dark!" K.L. Government is not the solution to our problem, it is the problem. R.R. “One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.” M.F. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClJ...fYFveARiWyqjQA

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Canned Bear Recipes?

we did a whole bunch of elk, i dont have the exact recipe with me for time and pressure but we just used salt and pepper garlic and a bit of oil then flavour it with whatever we want after its taken out that way its not stuck with one dish or overseasoned, onions work too but i avoid peppers as they get quite bitter in cans sometimes, hot peppers is different i do some with hot peppers but make sure to label them so the wife doesnt eat one by mistake

Good to know about the peppers, I've done japepenos in canned salmon with good results...maybe I'll try onions and a jalapeno or 2..
    "Our arrows will block out the sun!" "Then we shall fight in the dark!" K.L. Government is not the solution to our problem, it is the problem. R.R. “One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.” M.F. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClJ...fYFveARiWyqjQA

I posted in your other thread.

Quart jars
    chopped onions, carrots, celery, a clove of garlic, 1/2 bullion cube.

Cold pack.

You have to be careful with oil because it can create a film that keeps your jars from sealing.

I have used the same recipe for bear and venison.

Next time I'm going to experiment with some stews. I've been canning a lot the last 2 years. My family and guests love it!

Check out Hank Shaw - he has some good recipes that would be amenable to canning.

Now I've got to go find a bear. Haven't seen squat this year.

I will try that recipe jlirot!

I just finished the taste test on a few different variations of 250ml wide mouths..the winner by a small margin was the browned/carmalized in rendered bear fat, bear, onions and red peppers seasoned lightly with pepper, seasoning salt and garlic powder then hot packed with an additional 1/4 tsp of pickling salt, 3 peppercorns, 2 jalapeno slices and 1 tbs of sweet baby rays original bbq sauce. The cold packed version was a close second but the browning and carmalizing does add another layer of depth to the flavour. Its good enough you could pour over some rice and make it a meal or just eat it out of the jar. I've got a few bears to process so I'll probably do a bit of big jars, little jars, hot packed and cold packed.