Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grasslands North Of Kamloops Lake

Grasslands North Of Kamloops Lake

This year I want to find some grasslands to put my English Pointer on birds. It's going to be his second season, so far we only had the chance to hunt in forested areas. While that was fun, it's not the same as seeing him work a large field. After doing a test with him I am itching to hunt with him in an environment like that.
    I am from the LML, and looking at the maps I saw the grasslands north of Kamloops lake. I also looked into Princeton and it seems like the open grasslands or hillsides are are mostly private land (?). Planning on doing some scouting in June/July but wanted to get some feedback first - I saw "Lac Du Bois Grasslands" on a map, and the satellite images suggest more similar landscapes to be north of Kamloops lake? Is it worth it? Can the dog roam in that area? Are rattlesnakes an issue in that area?

Thanks in advance

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Grasslands North Of Kamloops Lake

The North side of Kamloops lake does have rattle snakes but the cactus will probably be a bigger problem. If your dog is not used to it cactus will be the biggest concern. There are also snakes in the Lac Du Boise area but less cactus.

Make sure you check the regs on grouse in the Lac Du Bois area for closures. Ducks and geese are open but don't risk your pup chasing grouse (Sharp tailed) in certain areas (Long Lake) or Burrowing Owls. The private land is now part of the Nature Conservancy. Ducks, geese, whitetail, mule, bear, wolf and cougars....and rattlesnakes, but you're more likely to encounter a relocated river rat than a snake on the main road...
    Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets...

Interesting... hadn't thought about "cactus"... any advise?

Quote Originally Posted by Would Rather Be Fishing View Post
    Interesting... hadn't thought about "cactus"... any advise?
    I wouldn't sit on it, I'v only run in to it along the Red deer river in eastern Alberta and along the Milk River Ridge and cactus was fairly easy to steer my dogs away from but then again mine are Labs and work fairly close to me but I did have one that got a big bunch of cactus in her paw. I'v always been more concerned with Porcupine's out there. I'v hunted out there with 3 different dogs and every one found out it's not a good idea to bite a Porcupine, once. LOL

What kind of game birds are you hoping to encounter with your pointer? I hunt quite a bit in the area and as great as Lac Du Bois grasslands are for waterfowl there aren't a ton of uplands birds up there that are worth fighting with the cactus, not to mention the protected sharp-tailed groups in that management unit. I would also put the grasslands/open area around Kamloops Lake on your radar, hope you like Chukars!

Appreciate the feedback - I do like Chuckars, but I am not too fussed about the exact type of bird. Something other than grouse would be nice as we get a lot of those in my usual (forrested) stomping grounds, this is more about the "wide open field" experience I don;t get around here. I loved the rolling, open hills around Princeton and the dog had a hey time scanning the hillsides and being able to run far distances while still being in sight.
    So for me it's more about that experience at the moment as the exact type of bird.

Quote Originally Posted by imack91 View Post
    What kind of game birds are you hoping to encounter with your pointer? I hunt quite a bit in the area and as great as Lac Du Bois grasslands are for waterfowl there aren't a ton of uplands birds up there that are worth fighting with the cactus, not to mention the protected sharp-tailed groups in that management unit. I would also put the grasslands/open area around Kamloops Lake on your radar, hope you like Chukars!

Makes sense! Then I would say that you are eyeballing the exact right area to wander through some open grass and let the dog explore! I take my dogs up there to hike and explore and it's great for a casual hike. It's not the kind of grasslands where you gonna find Pheasants or anything, rather Grouse, Chukars and Waterfowl. Watch out for snakes and cactus. Happy Hiking!

Quote Originally Posted by Would Rather Be Fishing View Post
    Appreciate the feedback - I do like Chuckars, but I am not too fussed about the exact type of bird. Something other than grouse would be nice as we get a lot of those in my usual (forrested) stomping grounds, this is more about the "wide open field" experience I don;t get around here. I loved the rolling, open hills around Princeton and the dog had a hey time scanning the hillsides and being able to run far distances while still being in sight.
    So for me it's more about that experience at the moment as the exact type of bird.

Bring a steel comb with you ... grabbing them with your bare hands suck and leave you sucking your thumb afterwards.
    Your pup will figure it out fast. She will soon learn staying put and wait for you to get them out is way better than trying to eat them, get bloody lips or even get them stuck on their gums. Been there done that now my Griff deals with it or waits for me.
    There are boots out there ... Mutt Luks are one brand I've had huge success with. They're thick bottoms, great straps to hold them on, and last. Haven't lost one yet after 3 years of abuse but they're not cheap.
    Guys use rubber bicycle tubes and tape them on. Seen that with great success but takes time to get them on the pup.

Hunt Savona or even Walhachin ... Way better success rates than LacD.
    PM me cause I hunt that area opening day religiously and it's quite fun going through a box of shells in an outing

Check your dog for ticks after. They are very bad this year.