Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: First time staying out of backpack, any invaluable little things a guy might want?

Re: First time staying out of backpack, any invaluable little things a guy might want

Quote Originally Posted by dino View Post
    You sound a little heavy.
    How long is the hike and how many days inwiil you be?
    I started hiking up Friday first light, came out today. Not sure how long the hike is in distance but it took me 6 hours to get to almost the top of the mountain where I set camp. Was a good trip got into some unreal looking area

Re: First time staying out of backpack, any invaluable little things a guy might want

Quote Originally Posted by madcalfe View Post
    -ditch the 20L water jug - just take a 2 or 3L bladder
    -ditch the water purifying bottle- we live in BC, flowing water is easy to come by
    take chlorine tablets if your worried or even a life straw. ive never not been able to find water in the mountains.
    -id try and take something for breakfast even instant oatmeal packets will work. force yourself too eat in the morning.
    -ditch the axe, use your bone saw if you need to cut bigger branches
    -ditch the extra belt and shoe laces just put new laces in your boots prior to going out (paracord can be used as a belt if needed)
    -ditch the surveyors tape, download a GPS app on your phone ie fatmaps
    -ditch the thermacell. you'll become one with the mosquitoes after a day or 2 (a small bug head net will work)
    -ditch the news/ wax paper, not needed
    -ditch the small towel, your going to stink regardless its just extra weight
    -ditch the flashlight and only bring a headlamp. id recommend a spare headlamp over a flash light
    -ditch the shorts you'll most likely get ate alive
    -ditch the bug jacket. just a head net will do
    -ditch the zap straps. have paracord
    Yeah there was a lot on here I did not end up taking, and even some of the stuff I did take I didn't use, so for next time I know. But was doable did it was good trip going to go back there in July or August when rest of snow is gone along with other pack in areas over the summer. Going to do this area in October/November I think so will have a entirely different packing list for then.

Any of you guys do back pack trips later in the season/winter?
    Last edited by TheObserver; 06-04-2023 at 08:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheObserver View Post
    Yeah there was a lot on here I did not end up taking, and even some of the stuff I did take I didn't use, so for next time I know. But was doable did it was good trip. Going to do this area in October/November I think so will have a entirely different packing list for then.

Any of you guys do back pack trips later in the season/winter?
    I get nervous about snow later in the season, especially if you’re somewhere steep. The thought of carrying a heavy bag and going for a ride seems a tad dangerous to me. I’ve seen a few guys on here pull skimmers behind them in the snow to get where they’re going.

As far as camping in the cold, it’s not a big deal, especially if you have a backpacking stove. I’ve slept in the -30s in a 4 season msr tent on quad trips. I’ve used my Cimarron and stove in similar weather with 2 adults and my son. The hardest part about cold weather is keeping your water from freezing.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bustercluck View Post
    I get nervous about snow later in the season, especially if you’re somewhere steep. The thought of carrying a heavy bag and going for a ride seems a tad dangerous to me. I’ve seen a few guys on here pull skimmers behind them in the snow to get where they’re going.

As far as camping in the cold, it’s not a big deal, especially if you have a backpacking stove. I’ve slept in the -30s in a 4 season msr tent on quad trips. I’ve used my Cimarron and stove in similar weather with 2 adults and my son. The hardest part about cold weather is keeping your water from freezing.
    Do you got one of those little foldable backpacking wood stoves? Those things look sweet, my tent couldn't do that unless I modified it. I would probably just need to wear wool and a toque and gloves to sleep in a good sleeping bag. But when I go it probably won't get below minus 10 this will be in Region 2. May do a region 3 late Mulie hunt in 2024 when I got some late season backpacking experience under my belt here first.

Yeah, I use the lite outdoors stove. I don’t think it’s the best on the market, but it works.

I double up my socks at night and put a neck warmer over my chin and a toque on my head. I think my bag is made by mountain hardware and rated for -35ish. It’s synthetic fill and weighs around 5 pounds, but it’s really bulky.

You’re bringing back some memories here. Putting your boots on in the morning is pretty shitty. I’ve tried all kinds of things like putting those hand warmers in my boots before bed and as soon as I wake up.