Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: First time staying out of backpack, any invaluable little things a guy might want?

First time staying out of backpack, any invaluable little things a guy might want?

Itching to climb to the top of this mountain since I layed eyes on it and started poking around on it. Got lots of good sign lower on it but I think up high is going to hold some good stuff.

Recently bought a pack and pack tent, so this will be my first time putting them to use. I got all of the essentials and there is lots of water up there and the weather should be good. Just wondering if there is any little things you guys experienced with pack hunting bring that I never even thought about, like thermacel, a small container of bleach to keep bears away (an example, not sure if that one works, was told by someone it works in Grizz country to put beside tent) or whatever it may be to make things better.

Mostly scouting for Bucks but if I see a Bear at the right time and place I will take him, so got game bags and the essentials for that, but obviously don't want to get carried away with the weight. I'll be up there for 4 days. It is too much to hike up for just a day and go back down so figured I would put tent/pack to use and have some fun and stay up and really look around up there.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: First time staying out of backpack, any invaluable little things a guy might want

Quote Originally Posted by TheObserver View Post
    Itching to climb to the top of this mountain since I layed eyes on it and started poking around on it. Got lots of good sign lower on it but I think up high is going to hold some good stuff.

Recently bought a pack and pack tent, so this will be my first time putting them to use. I got all of the essentials and there is lots of water up there and the weather should be good. Just wondering if there is any little things you guys experienced with pack hunting bring that I never even thought about, like thermacel, a small container of bleach to keep bears away (an example, not sure if that one works, was told by someone it works in Grizz country to put beside tent) or whatever it may be to make things better.

Mostly scouting for Bucks but if I see a Bear at the right time and place I will take him, so got game bags and the essentials for that, but obviously don't want to get carried away with the weight. I'll be up there for 4 days. It is too much to hike up for just a day and go back down so figured I would put tent/pack to use and have some fun and stay up and really look around up there.
    Bring your water purifier and some camo TP.............

Re: First time staying out of backpack, any invaluable little things a guy might want

Drop your pack list and I’ll see if I can add something.

Every trip I go on with my brother he pulls something out that I never thought of bringing and he usually brings one for me too.

I will throw out a tip if you’re new with a new bag. I pack any scented stuff into 3 different dry sacks. Usually all of my food in a long one that goes against my back above my sleeping bag, a second for booze and a small third bag that has stuff like sunscreen, batteries, pocket juice, electrical tape, ear plugs. It makes it easy to pull all of the bear attractants out of your bag and keep away from your shelter while you’re sleeping. Then in the morning you can load your bag in seconds and get going. You can also hang a bear bell 6” below the dry bags so it makes a bit of racket if something goes after it.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

Have you figured out how to load your bag and where to put everything so you have the essential stuff easy to access and the less essential stuff tucked a bit deeper?
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

Not sure about the bleach, but I usually just hang my underwear that I wore on the hike in on a pole outside my tent to keep the bears away. Wear synthetic instead of wool for extra stank.

Bring a big garbage bin bag to load your meat in the game bags into for packing out. Saves getting blood all over your pack.

Water is heavy, but unless you know for certain there are streams or springs coming out of the mountain, bring some.

I slept out on a mountain once just wrapped in a blue tarp. Woke up with frost on it but I was warm and cosy in my sleeping bag. Wouldn't want to try that if rain was foreacast. Sometimes mountains will catch precipitation that won't occur elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Bustercluck View Post
    Drop your pack list and I’ll see if I can add something.

Every trip I go on with my brother he pulls something out that I never thought of bringing and he usually brings one for me too.

I will throw out a tip if you’re new with a new bag. I pack any scented stuff into 3 different dry sacks. Usually all of my food in a long one that goes against my back above my sleeping bag, a second for booze and a small third bag that has stuff like sunscreen, batteries, pocket juice, electrical tape, ear plugs. It makes it easy to pull all of the bear attractants out of your bag and keep away from your shelter while you’re sleeping. Then in the morning you can load your bag in seconds and get going. You can also hang a bear bell 6” below the dry bags so it makes a bit of racket if something goes after it.
    I'll put the list here later when i'm home.

Good thinkin, forgot that Bears are attracted to petroleum smell. More than just food for sure

Quote Originally Posted by Bustercluck View Post
    Have you figured out how to load your bag and where to put everything so you have the essential stuff easy to access and the less essential stuff tucked a bit deeper?
    No I was going to start doing that tonight actually, see where i'm going to put what

Quote Originally Posted by grantk View Post
    Not sure about the bleach, but I usually just hang my underwear that I wore on the hike in on a pole outside my tent to keep the bears away. Wear synthetic instead of wool for extra stank.

Bring a big garbage bin bag to load your meat in the game bags into for packing out. Saves getting blood all over your pack.
    If I have hung my meat and it has cooled and set, does the garbage bags make it sweat at that point at all do you find?

Quote Originally Posted by MichelD View Post
    Water is heavy, but unless you know for certain there are streams or springs coming out of the mountain, bring some.

I slept out on a mountain once just wrapped in a blue tarp. Woke up with frost on it but I was warm and cosy in my sleeping bag. Wouldn't want to try that if rain was foreacast. Sometimes mountains will catch precipitation that won't occur elsewhere.
    Lots of water up there for sure, I was there last year when it was so dry for so long and there was tons of run off coming down still. I got a collapsible 20L water jug too i'm going to bring so I can hike from camp to a creek fill it so I got water for there