Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: First time staying out of backpack, any invaluable little things a guy might want?

Hybrid View

First time staying out of backpack, any invaluable little things a guy might want?

Itching to climb to the top of this mountain since I layed eyes on it and started poking around on it. Got lots of good sign lower on it but I think up high is going to hold some good stuff.

Recently bought a pack and pack tent, so this will be my first time putting them to use. I got all of the essentials and there is lots of water up there and the weather should be good. Just wondering if there is any little things you guys experienced with pack hunting bring that I never even thought about, like thermacel, a small container of bleach to keep bears away (an example, not sure if that one works, was told by someone it works in Grizz country to put beside tent) or whatever it may be to make things better.

Mostly scouting for Bucks but if I see a Bear at the right time and place I will take him, so got game bags and the essentials for that, but obviously don't want to get carried away with the weight. I'll be up there for 4 days. It is too much to hike up for just a day and go back down so figured I would put tent/pack to use and have some fun and stay up and really look around up there.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: First time staying out of backpack, any invaluable little things a guy might want

Quote Originally Posted by TheObserver View Post
    Itching to climb to the top of this mountain since I layed eyes on it and started poking around on it. Got lots of good sign lower on it but I think up high is going to hold some good stuff.

Recently bought a pack and pack tent, so this will be my first time putting them to use. I got all of the essentials and there is lots of water up there and the weather should be good. Just wondering if there is any little things you guys experienced with pack hunting bring that I never even thought about, like thermacel, a small container of bleach to keep bears away (an example, not sure if that one works, was told by someone it works in Grizz country to put beside tent) or whatever it may be to make things better.

Mostly scouting for Bucks but if I see a Bear at the right time and place I will take him, so got game bags and the essentials for that, but obviously don't want to get carried away with the weight. I'll be up there for 4 days. It is too much to hike up for just a day and go back down so figured I would put tent/pack to use and have some fun and stay up and really look around up there.
    Bring your water purifier and some camo TP.............

Re: First time staying out of backpack, any invaluable little things a guy might want

Drop your pack list and I’ll see if I can add something.

Every trip I go on with my brother he pulls something out that I never thought of bringing and he usually brings one for me too.

I will throw out a tip if you’re new with a new bag. I pack any scented stuff into 3 different dry sacks. Usually all of my food in a long one that goes against my back above my sleeping bag, a second for booze and a small third bag that has stuff like sunscreen, batteries, pocket juice, electrical tape, ear plugs. It makes it easy to pull all of the bear attractants out of your bag and keep away from your shelter while you’re sleeping. Then in the morning you can load your bag in seconds and get going. You can also hang a bear bell 6” below the dry bags so it makes a bit of racket if something goes after it.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bustercluck View Post
    Drop your pack list and I’ll see if I can add something.

Every trip I go on with my brother he pulls something out that I never thought of bringing and he usually brings one for me too.

I will throw out a tip if you’re new with a new bag. I pack any scented stuff into 3 different dry sacks. Usually all of my food in a long one that goes against my back above my sleeping bag, a second for booze and a small third bag that has stuff like sunscreen, batteries, pocket juice, electrical tape, ear plugs. It makes it easy to pull all of the bear attractants out of your bag and keep away from your shelter while you’re sleeping. Then in the morning you can load your bag in seconds and get going. You can also hang a bear bell 6” below the dry bags so it makes a bit of racket if something goes after it.
    I'll put the list here later when i'm home.

Good thinkin, forgot that Bears are attracted to petroleum smell. More than just food for sure

Have you figured out how to load your bag and where to put everything so you have the essential stuff easy to access and the less essential stuff tucked a bit deeper?
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

Have you figured out how to load your bag and where to put everything so you have the essential stuff easy to access and the less essential stuff tucked a bit deeper?
    No I was going to start doing that tonight actually, see where i'm going to put what

No I was going to start doing that tonight actually, see where i'm going to put what
    I’ll try and give a quick explanation of how I pack my marshall and if I have time I’ll take a few pics tonight.

From the bottom- sleeping bag in the sleeping bag compartment and I have been throwing my spotting scope in there lately too, only because I don’t have a scope pocket on my bag. On the outside of the pocket is where I strap down my tent. I use a cimarron so it’s just the shell of the tent on the outside and the carbon pole goes inside my bag if I’m bushwhacking or I stuff it in one of the side pockets for trails.

Above the sleeping bag, I drop in a long dry bag with all of my food in it and push it against my back. In my food bag I organize my meals out day by day, I’ll start with my last dinner, then afternoon snacks, ichiban, morning snacks, breakfast so as I work through my trip I’m not digging through my food sack looking for stuff.I stuff all of my clothes and game bags around the food dry sack to the outside edges of my pack. On top of all of that is where I put my jetboil, food cooking container, water filter and whatever smaller items I might need during the day. Cinch the bag shut. My bag has a tie down on top of the bag and below the lid where I put my 4litre water bladder inside my rain coat and cinch it down.

torpedo pockets on the back- ultra lightweight rain pants, first aid kit, gloves and I can’t remember what else, lol

lid- siltarp, bullets,knife, ear plugs. I’m drawing a blank on what else is in there, but it’s full

and I don’t use a camelback type bladder, just a 1 litre nalgene on my hip belt. I find the bladders too much of a pain in the ass to refill in the middle of the day.

Just think about functionality and what you’re most likely to do during the day. If you have to empty out half of your bag to get at your water filter or food than your likely to keep pushing yourself and going without, which is bad. I can open my bag, pull a few things out and have lunch, filter water and keep on trekking without too much hassle.

Make sure you take an emergen-c every night and bring those lightweight zip starters.

I’ll try and give a quick explanation of how I pack my marshall and if I have time I’ll take a few pics tonight.

From the bottom- sleeping bag in the sleeping bag compartment and I have been throwing my spotting scope in there lately too, only because I don’t have a scope pocket on my bag. On the outside of the pocket is where I strap down my tent. I use a cimarron so it’s just the shell of the tent on the outside and the carbon pole goes inside my bag if I’m bushwhacking or I stuff it in one of the side pockets for trails.

Above the sleeping bag, I drop in a long dry bag with all of my food in it and push it against my back. In my food bag I organize my meals out day by day, I’ll start with my last dinner, then afternoon snacks, ichiban, morning snacks, breakfast so as I work through my trip I’m not digging through my food sack looking for stuff.I stuff all of my clothes and game bags around the food dry sack to the outside edges of my pack. On top of all of that is where I put my jetboil, food cooking container, water filter and whatever smaller items I might need during the day. Cinch the bag shut. My bag has a tie down on top of the bag and below the lid where I put my 4litre water bladder inside my rain coat and cinch it down.

torpedo pockets on the back- ultra lightweight rain pants, first aid kit, gloves and I can’t remember what else, lol

lid- siltarp, bullets,knife, ear plugs. I’m drawing a blank on what else is in there, but it’s full

and I don’t use a camelback type bladder, just a 1 litre nalgene on my hip belt. I find the bladders too much of a pain in the ass to refill in the middle of the day.

Just think about functionality and what you’re most likely to do during the day. If you have to empty out half of your bag to get at your water filter or food than your likely to keep pushing yourself and going without, which is bad. I can open my bag, pull a few things out and have lunch, filter water and keep on trekking without too much hassle.

Make sure you take an emergen-c every night and bring those lightweight zip starters.
    What i'll take with me this time is in my bag:

My collapsible/foldable 20L water jug
    Water purifying bottle (700ml)
    Rope/paracord
    1 battery powered lantern
    Batteries
    Tent
    Sleeping bag
    Food (never eat breakfast so will be lunch and dinner X3)
    Mattress
    Small axe
    Saw
    Knives/sharpener
    Gloves
    Extra laces and belt
    Tape & surveyors tape
    Thermacell
    Gamebags
    2 pieces of plastic (I will use on ground if I don't want to take 2 trips for meat)
    News/wax paper
    Toilet paper
    Small towel
    First aid
    Flashlight/headlamps
    Stove/fuel
    Pot
    Toothbrush/paste/floss/utensils
    Socks/boxers/shirt/shorts/sandals/bug jacket
    Silpoly tarp
    Zap straps

The rest I will have in my pant pockets and bino harness, may bring a trail cam too
    Last edited by TheObserver; 05-29-2023 at 10:57 PM.

Rope/paracord
    Batteries
    Tent
    Sleeping bag
    Mattress
    Small axe
    Saw
    Knives/sharpener
    Gloves
    Extra laces and belt
    Tape & surveyors tape
    Thermacell
    Gamebags
    2 pieces of plastic (I will use on ground if I don't want to take 2 trips for meat)
    News/wax paper
    Toilet paper
    Small towel
    First aid
    Flashlight/headlamps
    Stove/fuel
    Pot
    Silpoly tarp
    Zap straps

The rest I will have in my pant pockets and bino harness, may bring a trail cam too
    You sound a little heavy.
    How long is the hike and how many days inwiil you be?
    Hunting the promised land

Rope/paracord
    Batteries
    Tent
    Sleeping bag
    Mattress
    Small axe
    Saw
    Knives/sharpener
    Gloves
    Extra laces and belt
    Tape & surveyors tape
    Thermacell
    Gamebags
    News/wax paper
    Toilet paper
    Small towel
    First aid
    Flashlight/headlamps
    Stove/fuel
    Pot
    Silpoly tarp
    Zap straps

-ditch the 20L water jug - just take a 2 or 3L bladder
    -ditch the water purifying bottle- we live in BC, flowing water is easy to come by
    take chlorine tablets if your worried or even a life straw. ive never not been able to find water in the mountains.
    -id try and take something for breakfast even instant oatmeal packets will work. force yourself too eat in the morning.
    -ditch the axe, use your bone saw if you need to cut bigger branches
    -ditch the extra belt and shoe laces just put new laces in your boots prior to going out (paracord can be used as a belt if needed)
    -ditch the surveyors tape, download a GPS app on your phone ie fatmaps
    -ditch the thermacell. you'll become one with the mosquitoes after a day or 2 (a small bug head net will work)
    -ditch the news/ wax paper, not needed
    -ditch the small towel, your going to stink regardless its just extra weight
    -ditch the flashlight and only bring a headlamp. id recommend a spare headlamp over a flash light
    -ditch the shorts you'll most likely get ate alive
    -ditch the bug jacket. just a head net will do
    -ditch the zap straps. have paracord