Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: First time staying out of backpack, any invaluable little things a guy might want?

Re: First time staying out of backpack, any invaluable little things a guy might want

there are some good threads on sheep hunting gear/pack lists here. Really the hard part is not bringing to much. One good trick i was told is to wrap some duct tape around your water bottle for an emergency repair. You might not need the extra knife, saw, axe, etc

Re: First time staying out of backpack, any invaluable little things a guy might want

In addition to the essentials, just quickly off the top of my head: siltarp or small lightweight tarp to keep rain or sun off you and your equipment, a pack-alarm to set up around your camp is a very nice security item, string/rope to hang your food, as well as for other misc tasks/camp setup, multitool, extra compass, extra headlamp, I also carry an LED 'camp-light' that is convenient to have around camp, and, a rag to keep in your tent, to wipe away the condensation in your tent in the morning...

Everyone is different and has their own needs/preferences.

This is what i'd be ditching from your list:
    20L water jug- I wouldnt be carrying that very far full and if I was close enough to water to consider it, i'd just make more trips with a smaller bladder.

Battey lantern- seems redundant if you have a headlamp.

Axe- when im backpack hunting im backpack hunting. Never needed an axe to make a fire or shelter. I have no need for an axe unless I want to practice bush craft shelters etc.

Extra belt- can use some of the small cordage (usually a bit of 550 cord) from my kill kit if needed.

Boot laces- same as above

Plastic to set meat on - just put it straight into game bags

Anyhow, good luck and have fun!

dental floss. key for trigger lock. magazine for gun. water bottle. chapstick. backpack. more bullets. toilet paper. regs. batteries. Boots....

Each of these were needed on different back pack hunts. Each of these were forgotten on different hunts. So what I am trying to spell out is, you will always forget something. You can not be prepared enough. Make sure you know how to survive...
    WSSBC Life Member

An extra empty large mouth bottle in the tent for late at night is a game changer.

Quote Originally Posted by eatram View Post
    dental floss. key for trigger lock. magazine for gun. water bottle. chapstick. backpack. more bullets. toilet paper. regs. batteries. Boots....

Each of these were needed on different back pack hunts. Each of these were forgotten on different hunts. So what I am trying to spell out is, you will always forget something. You can not be prepared enough. Make sure you know how to survive...
    I break my gear list down like this rifle****bolt*****magazine*** bullets
    tent***carbon pole***ground sheet
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

Quote Originally Posted by eatram View Post

This is the key^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by TheObserver View Post
    What i'll take with me this time is in my bag:

My collapsible/foldable 20L water jug
    Water purifying bottle (700ml)
    Rope/paracord
    1 battery powered lantern
    Batteries
    Tent
    Sleeping bag
    Food (never eat breakfast so will be lunch and dinner X3)
    Mattress
    Small axe
    Saw
    Knives/sharpener
    Gloves
    Extra laces and belt
    Tape & surveyors tape
    Thermacell
    Gamebags
    2 pieces of plastic (I will use on ground if I don't want to take 2 trips for meat)
    News/wax paper
    Toilet paper
    Small towel
    First aid
    Flashlight/headlamps
    Stove/fuel
    Pot
    Toothbrush/paste/floss/utensils
    Socks/boxers/shirt/shorts/sandals/bug jacket
    Silpoly tarp
    Zap straps

The rest I will have in my pant pockets and bino harness, may bring a trail cam too
    You sound a little heavy.
    How long is the hike and how many days inwiil you be?
    Hunting the promised land

Quote Originally Posted by TheObserver View Post
    What i'll take with me this time is in my bag:

My collapsible/foldable 20L water jug
    Water purifying bottle (700ml)
    Rope/paracord
    1 battery powered lantern
    Batteries
    Tent
    Sleeping bag
    Food (never eat breakfast so will be lunch and dinner X3)
    Mattress
    Small axe
    Saw
    Knives/sharpener
    Gloves
    Extra laces and belt
    Tape & surveyors tape
    Thermacell
    Gamebags
    2 pieces of plastic (I will use on ground if I don't want to take 2 trips for meat)
    News/wax paper
    Toilet paper
    Small towel
    First aid
    Flashlight/headlamps
    Stove/fuel
    Pot
    Toothbrush/paste/floss/utensils
    Socks/boxers/shirt/shorts/sandals/bug jacket
    Silpoly tarp
    Zap straps

The rest I will have in my pant pockets and bino harness, may bring a trail cam too
    -ditch the 20L water jug - just take a 2 or 3L bladder
    -ditch the water purifying bottle- we live in BC, flowing water is easy to come by
    take chlorine tablets if your worried or even a life straw. ive never not been able to find water in the mountains.
    -id try and take something for breakfast even instant oatmeal packets will work. force yourself too eat in the morning.
    -ditch the axe, use your bone saw if you need to cut bigger branches
    -ditch the extra belt and shoe laces just put new laces in your boots prior to going out (paracord can be used as a belt if needed)
    -ditch the surveyors tape, download a GPS app on your phone ie fatmaps
    -ditch the thermacell. you'll become one with the mosquitoes after a day or 2 (a small bug head net will work)
    -ditch the news/ wax paper, not needed
    -ditch the small towel, your going to stink regardless its just extra weight
    -ditch the flashlight and only bring a headlamp. id recommend a spare headlamp over a flash light
    -ditch the shorts you'll most likely get ate alive
    -ditch the bug jacket. just a head net will do
    -ditch the zap straps. have paracord

Quote Originally Posted by madcalfe View Post
    -ditch the 20L water jug - just take a 2 or 3L bladder
    -ditch the water purifying bottle- we live in BC, flowing water is easy to come by
    take chlorine tablets if your worried or even a life straw. ive never not been able to find water in the mountains.
    -id try and take something for breakfast even instant oatmeal packets will work. force yourself too eat in the morning.
    -ditch the axe, use your bone saw if you need to cut bigger branches
    -ditch the extra belt and shoe laces just put new laces in your boots prior to going out (paracord can be used as a belt if needed)
    -ditch the surveyors tape, download a GPS app on your phone ie fatmaps
    -ditch the thermacell. you'll become one with the mosquitoes after a day or 2 (a small bug head net will work)
    -ditch the news/ wax paper, not needed
    -ditch the small towel, your going to stink regardless its just extra weight
    -ditch the flashlight and only bring a headlamp. id recommend a spare headlamp over a flash light
    -ditch the shorts you'll most likely get ate alive
    -ditch the bug jacket. just a head net will do
    -ditch the zap straps. have paracord
    This is all good advice. Your packing list is too heavy.
    "A true conservationist is a man who knows that the world is not given by his fathers, but borrowed from his children." John James Audubon