Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: First time staying out of backpack, any invaluable little things a guy might want?

Re: First time staying out of backpack, any invaluable little things a guy might want

I like to ditch all the dry bags and storage sack etc for things like my tent, quilt, pad, puffy jacket etc that they all come with. They are redundant and imo make packing efficiently more difficult. You end up with a bunch of various sized hard objects that don’t pack into your bag nice. I’ve found it much better to line your bag with a garbage bag or other liner and jam all your dry stuff into that. Keep your bottom straps on the pack cinched a bit so you don’t end up with a diaper butt from jamming it all down. All that stuff is typically lightweight and should be at the bottom of your pack. Also, you don’t need that stuff easy access until end of the day so bottom of the pack is best. It packs down nice and you don’t end up with a bunch of dead space. Next in your bag, mid way and close to your back is your heavier stuff. Food, water, cook kit, kill kit, possibles etc. this stuff also by virtue of being heavier compresses the lighter stuff at the bottom. If that stuff was in a bunch of compression sacks you’d realize at this point things aren’t fitting as good. Then you have your quick access stuff for the day at the top of pack or in your lid. Also this makes setting up and tearing camp quicker not worrying getting everything back in their bags.

if you like YouTube the guys at EXO Mountain Gear do the best videos on this IMO. Wish I could afford one of their packs! They also have a free gear packing spreadsheet you can download of their website which is awesome, works great and after using it once makes every subsequent trip i breeze to pack for

Arby's Guest

Re: First time staying out of backpack, any invaluable little things a guy might want

This might be a bit precious of me, but SPF chapstick is my one weird 'can't live without' item on a backpack trip. I put it on my forehead and nose as well as lips, and avoid that horrible feeling of raw chapped skin the next morning. Much less fuss than a big bottle of sunscreen if you'll be exposed during the day.

Quote Originally Posted by TheObserver View Post
    No I was going to start doing that tonight actually, see where i'm going to put what
    I’ll try and give a quick explanation of how I pack my marshall and if I have time I’ll take a few pics tonight.

From the bottom- sleeping bag in the sleeping bag compartment and I have been throwing my spotting scope in there lately too, only because I don’t have a scope pocket on my bag. On the outside of the pocket is where I strap down my tent. I use a cimarron so it’s just the shell of the tent on the outside and the carbon pole goes inside my bag if I’m bushwhacking or I stuff it in one of the side pockets for trails.

Above the sleeping bag, I drop in a long dry bag with all of my food in it and push it against my back. In my food bag I organize my meals out day by day, I’ll start with my last dinner, then afternoon snacks, ichiban, morning snacks, breakfast so as I work through my trip I’m not digging through my food sack looking for stuff.I stuff all of my clothes and game bags around the food dry sack to the outside edges of my pack. On top of all of that is where I put my jetboil, food cooking container, water filter and whatever smaller items I might need during the day. Cinch the bag shut. My bag has a tie down on top of the bag and below the lid where I put my 4litre water bladder inside my rain coat and cinch it down.

torpedo pockets on the back- ultra lightweight rain pants, first aid kit, gloves and I can’t remember what else, lol

lid- siltarp, bullets,knife, ear plugs. I’m drawing a blank on what else is in there, but it’s full

and I don’t use a camelback type bladder, just a 1 litre nalgene on my hip belt. I find the bladders too much of a pain in the ass to refill in the middle of the day.

Just think about functionality and what you’re most likely to do during the day. If you have to empty out half of your bag to get at your water filter or food than your likely to keep pushing yourself and going without, which is bad. I can open my bag, pull a few things out and have lunch, filter water and keep on trekking without too much hassle.

Make sure you take an emergen-c every night and bring those lightweight zip starters.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieH View Post
    I like to ditch all the dry bags and storage sack etc for things like my tent, quilt, pad, puffy jacket etc that they all come with. They are redundant and imo make packing efficiently more difficult. You end up with a bunch of various sized hard objects that don’t pack into your bag nice. I’ve found it much better to line your bag with a garbage bag or other liner and jam all your dry stuff into that. Keep your bottom straps on the pack cinched a bit so you don’t end up with a diaper butt from jamming it all down. All that stuff is typically lightweight and should be at the bottom of your pack. Also, you don’t need that stuff easy access until end of the day so bottom of the pack is best. It packs down nice and you don’t end up with a bunch of dead space. Next in your bag, mid way and close to your back is your heavier stuff. Food, water, cook kit, kill kit, possibles etc. this stuff also by virtue of being heavier compresses the lighter stuff at the bottom. If that stuff was in a bunch of compression sacks you’d realize at this point things aren’t fitting as good. Then you have your quick access stuff for the day at the top of pack or in your lid. Also this makes setting up and tearing camp quicker not worrying getting everything back in their bags.

if you like YouTube the guys at EXO Mountain Gear do the best videos on this IMO. Wish I could afford one of their packs! They also have a free gear packing spreadsheet you can download of their website which is awesome, works great and after using it once makes every subsequent trip i breeze to pack for
    Hahaha diaper butt! i'll make sure to cinch those straps up there.

I'll check that video out for sure

Quote Originally Posted by Bustercluck View Post
    I’ll try and give a quick explanation of how I pack my marshall and if I have time I’ll take a few pics tonight.

From the bottom- sleeping bag in the sleeping bag compartment and I have been throwing my spotting scope in there lately too, only because I don’t have a scope pocket on my bag. On the outside of the pocket is where I strap down my tent. I use a cimarron so it’s just the shell of the tent on the outside and the carbon pole goes inside my bag if I’m bushwhacking or I stuff it in one of the side pockets for trails.

Above the sleeping bag, I drop in a long dry bag with all of my food in it and push it against my back. In my food bag I organize my meals out day by day, I’ll start with my last dinner, then afternoon snacks, ichiban, morning snacks, breakfast so as I work through my trip I’m not digging through my food sack looking for stuff.I stuff all of my clothes and game bags around the food dry sack to the outside edges of my pack. On top of all of that is where I put my jetboil, food cooking container, water filter and whatever smaller items I might need during the day. Cinch the bag shut. My bag has a tie down on top of the bag and below the lid where I put my 4litre water bladder inside my rain coat and cinch it down.

torpedo pockets on the back- ultra lightweight rain pants, first aid kit, gloves and I can’t remember what else, lol

lid- siltarp, bullets,knife, ear plugs. I’m drawing a blank on what else is in there, but it’s full

and I don’t use a camelback type bladder, just a 1 litre nalgene on my hip belt. I find the bladders too much of a pain in the ass to refill in the middle of the day.

Just think about functionality and what you’re most likely to do during the day. If you have to empty out half of your bag to get at your water filter or food than your likely to keep pushing yourself and going without, which is bad. I can open my bag, pull a few things out and have lunch, filter water and keep on trekking without too much hassle.

Make sure you take an emergen-c every night and bring those lightweight zip starters.
    What i'll take with me this time is in my bag:

My collapsible/foldable 20L water jug
    Water purifying bottle (700ml)
    Rope/paracord
    1 battery powered lantern
    Batteries
    Tent
    Sleeping bag
    Food (never eat breakfast so will be lunch and dinner X3)
    Mattress
    Small axe
    Saw
    Knives/sharpener
    Gloves
    Extra laces and belt
    Tape & surveyors tape
    Thermacell
    Gamebags
    2 pieces of plastic (I will use on ground if I don't want to take 2 trips for meat)
    News/wax paper
    Toilet paper
    Small towel
    First aid
    Flashlight/headlamps
    Stove/fuel
    Pot
    Toothbrush/paste/floss/utensils
    Socks/boxers/shirt/shorts/sandals/bug jacket
    Silpoly tarp
    Zap straps

The rest I will have in my pant pockets and bino harness, may bring a trail cam too
    Last edited by TheObserver; 05-29-2023 at 10:57 PM.

I think having a headlamp/lantern/batteries is a bit redundant. I bought a very small backup headlamp that I pack in case my primary breaks when going solo. Couple extra batteries for sure. I use Leuko Tape, great for preventing/stopping blisters. Doesn’t peel off like every other tape I’ve tried. Wrap it around your Nalgene about 10 times. Good sunglasses, 2nd on the chapstick, I wouldn’t worry about deodorant, a small thing of baby wipes is great. Pair of light flip flops for camp is really underrated, but also a luxury item. I’d ditch the extra belt, if it somehow breaks, rope would work. Are you planning on having a fire? If you’re in the alpine, not sure if you’ll need an axe. Small folding saw is plenty for small branches and processing. Thermacell can be replaced by a cheap bug head net. Couple small carabiners are great multipurpose items.

Arrow Re: First time staying out of backpack, any invaluable little things a guy might want

Quote Originally Posted by TheObserver View Post
    If I have hung my meat and it has cooled and set, does the garbage bags make it sweat at that point at all do you find?
    You want to be very careful using standard garbage bags. the vast majority are chemically treated to help break down their contents. That stuff is NASTY and I certainly would not recommend them getting anywhere any meat I was going to consume!!

Some contractor's bags avoid this. Worth looking into IMHO...

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

I second the no lantern thing. Headlamp with spare batteries and a small pen light. Toque.

advil, Tylenol,Aleve Benadryl. like above, baby wipes for sure.

I had giardia a couple years ago, I’m not sure if pepto Bismal would’ve helped to get me out of the bush.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

Mini bics in every pocket. Bear spray might save your life. Superglue. Those little self adhesive glue sticker things that patch an air mattress in a pinch.

When I used to stay out of a pack I would always leave water/Gatorade in the truck. You really don't know how tired or thirsty your return will be. That room temperature bottle of Gatorade that you stashed in your truck can be the best drink of your life.