Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunting bears …. Why do we hunt them?

Hunting bears …. Why do we hunt them?

In BC we have no shortage of bears with an estimated Black Bear population ranging from 120,000 to 150,000.
    At present the provincial Grizzly numbers are around 15,000 even tho our ability to hunt them has been shut down.
    Maybe ….. just maybe there’s a chance to see that season reopened ….. but we’d better get our shit together.

Why do we need to hunt bears?
    We don’t if we don’t really care about other species of wildlife … ungulates.
    Recent studies in Alaska have shown that the average grizzly bear kills & consumes 34.5 moose or caribou calves per year.
    Im sure our BC bears follow the same pattern and our Black Bears aren’t living on a strict dandelion diet if there are elk calves or deer fawns to snack on.

The reason we need to be hunting bears is to try and get a balance back into wildlife….the predator/prey ratio needs a correction.
    We need to get this message out to ears that will listen.

Sure, we want the hide for a rug.
    The meat makes good blueberry smoked hams.
    Really ….. not the message we should be putting forth.

Recently I was able to sit down with a provincial Minister (NDP by the way) and the question was asked ….”if the grizzly hunt comes back should it be to eat them”?

My answer was that “eating a grizzly should be the hunters choice ….the same for black bears”.
    A bear that is left on the land does not go to waste.
    Other creatures including bears will feed on the carcass and the biomass from that dead bear in many cases will keep some living, breathing animal from being lunch.

Bears that are taken to the “hunters place of residence or the meat cutter” that end up in a local landfill serve no purpose.
    If the bears not going to be consumed and is only packed out to satisfy regulations…. the bear is wasted.

Back to the grizzly topic.
    First Nations in northern BC have hunted grizzly bears for many generations.
    They kept the hide & claws for clothing & decoration.
    I guess that made them trophy hunters?
    The used some bones off the bears to make tools.
    They did not eat grizzly bears because “eating grizzly bear will make you sick”.

Each to his own but I’d say the advice passed down thru the years from these people might be worth listening to.
    They also believe in hunting bears to keep predator/prey levels in check.

Let’s hear what others have to say.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Hunting bears …. Why do we hunt them?

Quote Originally Posted by bearvalley View Post
    In BC we have no shortage of bears with an estimated Black Bear population ranging from 120,000 to 150,000.
    At present the provincial Grizzly numbers are around 15,000 even tho our ability to hunt them has been shut down.
    Maybe ….. just maybe there’s a chance to see that season reopened ….. but we’d better get our shit together.

Why do we need to hunt bears?
    We don’t if we don’t really care about other species of wildlife … ungulates.
    Recent studies in Alaska have shown that the average grizzly bear kills & consumes 34.5 moose or caribou calves per year.
    Im sure our BC bears follow the same pattern and our Black Bears aren’t living on a strict dandelion diet if there are elk calves or deer fawns to snack on.

The reason we need to be hunting bears is to try and get a balance back into wildlife….the predator/prey ratio needs a correction.
    We need to get this message out to ears that will listen.

Sure, we want the hide for a rug.
    The meat makes good blueberry smoked hams.
    Really ….. not the message we should be putting forth.

Recently I was able to sit down with a provincial Minister (NDP by the way) and the question was asked ….”if the grizzly hunt comes back should it be to eat them”?

My answer was that “eating a grizzly should be the hunters choice ….the same for black bears”.
    A bear that is left on the land does not go to waste.
    Other creatures including bears will feed on the carcass and the biomass from that dead bear in many cases will keep some living, breathing animal from being lunch.

Bears that are taken to the “hunters place of residence or the meat cutter” that end up in a local landfill serve no purpose.
    If the bears not going to be consumed and is only packed out to satisfy regulations…. the bear is wasted.

Back to the grizzly topic.
    First Nations in northern BC have hunted grizzly bears for many generations.
    They kept the hide & claws for clothing & decoration.
    I guess that made them trophy hunters?
    The used some bones off the bears to make tools.
    They did not eat grizzly bears because “eating grizzly bear will make you sick”.

Each to his own but I’d say the advice passed down thru the years from these people might be worth listening to.
    They also believe in hunting bears to keep predator/prey levels in check.

Let’s hear what others have to say.

I have to disagree with some of your comments. Firstly there were thousands more grizzlies from California to Alaska and ungulates were doing just fine so all the blame cannot fall onto grizzlies. Secondly optics of the hunt was a major factor that ended the grizzly hunt. Around the world its seen strictly as a trophy hunt and nothing more. Taking the hide and skull and leaving the meat has left a image that's not favorable. Alaska has seen the writing on the wall and there is discussions going on re: have hunters take the meat out. Now what you do with the meat when you get home is entirely your decision. This is not a capitulation. To Ignore what others around the world have to say about grizzly trophy hunting is not the answer. As you Know in B.C. you are required to take all edible parts of the black bears. to suggest that black bears also should be the hunters choice whether to pack it out is a non starter and in my opinion going to increase friction. The age old comment " well im leaving the meat so that other animals can benefit from the carcass is not going to appease those opposed. As a hunter for over 50 years i don't support that comment myself.

I haven't hunted or shot a black bear since 2017 because I have had enough deer meat in the freezer.

Grizzly bears have never been on my radar.
    Last edited by MichelD; 05-29-2023 at 10:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by stoneramhunter View Post
    I have to disagree with some of your comments. Firstly there were thousands more grizzlies from California to Alaska and ungulates were doing just fine so all the blame cannot fall onto grizzlies. Secondly optics of the hunt was a major factor that ended the grizzly hunt. Around the world it’s seen strictly as a trophy hunt and nothing more. Taking the hide and skull and leaving the meat has left an image that's not favorable. Alaska has seen the writing on the wall and there is discussions going on re: have hunters take the meat out. Now what you do with the meat when you get home is entirely your decision. This is not a capitulation. To Ignore what others around the world have to say about grizzly trophy hunting is not the answer. As you Know in B.C. you are required to take all edible parts of the black bears. to suggest that black bears also should be the hunters choice whether to pack it out is a non starter and in my opinion going to increase friction. The age old comment " well im leaving the meat so that other animals can benefit from the carcass is not going to appease those opposed. As a hunter for over 50 years i don't support that comment myself.
    A great first comment and it nails the biggest problem we are faced in wildlife management today.
    Too much input & interference from politicians that are rounding up votes and emotional, uneducated members of the public throwing out their Disneyland beliefs.
    The sooner we can get decision making back to a regional level …. the better off we’ll be.
    Democracy isn’t working for wildlife.

“Thousands of grizzlies from California to Alaska and ungulates were doing just fine”
    Is that true….a lot of changes have taken place since then and I don’t think the old line that “nature will balance itself” is going to work well any more.
    Sounds like a line the wolf huggers would peddle.

Quote Originally Posted by bearvalley View Post
    A great first comment and it nails the biggest problem we are faced in wildlife management today.
    Too much input & interference from politicians that are rounding up votes and emotional, uneducated members of the public throwing out their Disneyland beliefs.
    The sooner we can get decision making back to a regional level …. the better off we’ll be.
    Democracy isn’t working for wildlife.

“Thousands of grizzlies from California to Alaska and ungulates were doing just fine”
    Is that true….a lot of changes have taken place since then and I don’t think the old line that “nature will balance itself” is going to work well any more.
    Sounds like a line the wolf huggers would peddle.
    It appears that In your mind you are right and everyone elses opinion is b.s. Keep ignoring the vast population that is opposed to the very practice of leaving the meat behind and see where it goes. Hunters do not have exclusive rights to grizzly they belong to everyone not a hard concept to understand. Hunting, Logging and loss of habitat are reasons for declines in the Grizzly population . And yes in the 1800's fact there were a hell of a lot of grizzlies. Quit asking for comments if you simply want to throw out that it must be a line a wolf hugger would peddle. Ive spent a life time in the back country and feel confident that i can opinion on this subject.

It appears that In your mind you are right and everyone elses opinion is b.s. Keep ignoring the vast population that is opposed to the very practice of leaving the meat behind and see where it goes. Hunters do not have exclusive rights to grizzly they belong to everyone not a hard concept to understand. Hunting, Logging and loss of habitat are reasons for declines in the Grizzly population . And yes in the 1800's fact there were a hell of a lot of grizzlies. Quit asking for comments if you simply want to throw out that it must be a line a wolf hugger would peddle. Ive spent a life time in the back country and feel confident that i can opinion on this subject.
    Ok….I’ll play your game.
    Where’s BC’s decline in grizzly bears outside of populated areas?
    You sure we haven’t seen an increase?
    Some of us that do spend some time in the bush can see a change.
    No one said hunters had an exclusive right.
    Hunters can be part of the solution to a problem.

My minds not closed ….it’s just not programmed.

If i got the chance to hunt a grizzly i could compromise and eat it with no squables if that is what gives us social license to bring that hunt back.

Is there any one here that wouldn’t?

I for one would certainly be willing to bring all edible portions home if it meant getting the Griz hunt back
    Glad to say I have hunted Northern BC

Simon Fraser had pretty good judgement on what he found in BC

Typical….you seem to be as weak of spirit as you are of mind…..right and wrong don’t matter to you. What matters to you is what the most vocal have to say and you are simple enough to work in the confines placed upon you by them, rather than try to make the right thing happen out there in the open. You’re in the closet….happily.
    PAPERS! Show me YOUR PAPERS!!

I don't think crotch is the stealthiest scent for deer hunting. (Surrey Boy)

so are you gonna stop spreading it on your nuts for your dog to lick off? (monasheemountainman)

You weren't there and you didn't get a moose hoof to the balls. (300rum700)

Quote Originally Posted by RugDoctor View Post
    Typical….you seem to be as weak of spirit as you are of mind…..right and wrong don’t matter to you. What matters to you is what the most vocal have to say and you are simple enough to work in the confines placed upon you by them, rather than try to make the right thing happen out there in the open. You’re in the closet….happily.
    Rug as usual. keep the insults flying lol