Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Hunter, overwhelmed with the Possibilities!

New Hunter, overwhelmed with the Possibilities!

Hey!

First off, let me introduce myself. I'm a Swiss boy in his mid twenties, moved to Canada about three years ago and really got into all things Hunting and Fishing over the last couple years. I grew up in Mountain Country and spent my Life outside in the Alps but never had any Contact with Hunting and Fishing, as its not as popular as over here...

Since I don't really know any other Hunters, it's quite a daunting process to get started Hunting. I have completely submerged myself in every Book/Podcast/TV-Show and Forum that is around, started shooting a Bow in Spring 22 and was lucky enough to get my Pal confirmed after just 3(!!!) Months of waiting and calling them. Squeaky wheel gets the Grease i guess..

Main Question I have for you Folks is about Scouting. I am in the awesome Situation of having so much Crown land in my Area that I'm absolutely overwhelmed with honing in on an Area, or choosing what is worth honing in on. All the Information that is out there always tells you to look for Food Water and Cover. Living in the East Koots (Northern Part of Region 4), there is an over abundance of thick nasty Forest, which I assume means they have all the Cover any Animal could ask for. Also where I live there's lots of Creeks, Lakes and Swampy Areas, so Water also doesn't narrow it down a whole lot. Leaves me with Food. As far as I've seen, the only real Food areas are Cutblocks, and some sparse Aspen Groves every now and then. FSR's to every Cutblock means tons of Roadhunters. So I kind of have a bad feeling with those/Don't want to be that kind of Hunter.

After that long and complicated Text, my Question is, how do you guys go about choosing spots when you have a big area to pick from, If you don't want to be driving in and out of Logging areas with your truck?

Also is there a kind of Resource where one sees older, deactivated FSR's?

Thanks for having me here,

Gianni
    Last edited by Gianni2507; 05-26-2023 at 08:28 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: New Hunter, overwhelmed with the Possibilities!

At present you are all over the map, to use a phrase. First consider or identify a target species. What do you want to hunt? Then start researching or asking species specific questions. Your comments regarding food and water are very general. Different species reside in unique or specific habitat. Start general scouting from logging roads this time of year to get your eyes working. it will take time before you start spotting game on a regular basis. This will be an ongoing learning experience. Scout at first light and for about two to three after that. Then start scouting about three hours before last light until dark. Concentrate on southerly exposures. be patient and don't move around to much. Glass, glass and glass, and then glass some more. Eventually you will start to spot game on a more regular basis. And in that you will start learn the most likely spots to glass. If you are serious about learning to hunt, you need to spend lots of time in the field. It will be hard work at first, but with experience you start to see success. Also the more you are out there, the more likely you will meet other guys who can help you or possibly show you areas to concentrate on. Good luck and keep us posted on your activities.

Alpine and cutblocks are the main food sources but ungulates browse in the timber throughout the day. Fir and pine ridges, aspen and poplar stands. I would look for places people can’t see from the road and then look for good sign and put some cams in there on the trails and maybe a salt lick of two. Ungulates are habitual somewhat so areas with tons of trail, shit and rubs are a good bet for finding them again in these spots. Road hunting does work though it just about timing. When I hunted cutblocks I would often park well before the end and walk in slowly glassing and hike though the areas that are not visible from the road system. May are deactivated to so lazy people don’t go there.
    If the world is warming why are there so many new snowflakes?

If we are all equal why do you demand special treatment?

You can not comply your way out of tyranny.

Fire them ALL!

The area you are is pretty challenging terrain with some substantial mountain ranges. Holds pretty much any & all huntable game in the province although there's more elk farther south. So yeah, like VLD says 1st figure out what you want to hunt & if you're going to hunt solo or look for a partner or 2. You have a bow but that's a whole 'nother level of hunting where you need to get very close to be successful. What kind of rifle are you thinking of getting if you don't already have one? Whatever you get, find a club with a range & practice shooting. You'll most likely run into a few hunters there that will provide some guidance. Probably a good idea to get yourself a .22 to start practicing if you haven't shot a larger calibre before. Being from Switzerland I have a feeling you might have some experience in that regard if you served in the military.

While you may not want to be a road hunter, in such densely forested, mountainous country FSRs are the best way to get close to areas that hold game. Hiking in is great & you certainly want to get feet on the ground during scouting etc, but don't forget if you down an animal of any size, you'll need to pack it out. Deer or Bear are quite manageable, but Moose & Elk are massive critters.

Consider looking into getting a shotgun for upland game and/or waterfowl. That can be quite rewarding.

Honestly, just get out and do it. You’ll learn more from your first few trips out than you will from a podcast or a forum.

Mountain country = Alpine .... I’m sure this is what you would be interested in ... go to the search bar and have a look .... I’m sure you’ll find what your after ... : )

Join the local club they are a bunch of good guys
    Glad to say I have hunted Northern BC

Simon Fraser had pretty good judgement on what he found in BC

Thanks, and yeah, I should have worded or explained a bit more I guess, but I found it really hard to make a post that's somewhat easy to follow!

Targeted Species is White-tailed Deer, although the plan for later on is maybe to go after Muleys in the higher Altitudes. But for learning I was gonna concentrate on whitetails. I took a bunch of Grouse and Hares with my Bow last Season, as well as a nice 5x5 Buck on Private Land too(with a 30-06), so I think I know the plain basics for the "after the shot part" of the Hunting. What my Goal is here is to understand and learn how to hunt Crown Land, and especially how you guys choose between lots of Possible areas.

Say: I have in about 1 hour driving Time from my Home, access to 20+ logging areas, ranging from logged this year to logged 20 years ago. What are your deciding Factors of which one to choose? I imagine that the 1-2 year old areas are not productive yet as not much grass or browse is coming.

I'm just not sure which areas are worth sitting in or spending time on glassing for hours? Are you guys walking the outside of a logged area to look for Incoming trails/scat? I only have a limited amount of time, so just scouting them all for longer periods of time isnt viable.

As for the Gun, I'm planning to get a rifle chambered in .308, preferably a t3x if I can justify the Money to myself

Are you walking around the outside of Cutblocks to find sign?

I walked in on a Cutblock yesterday and found myself wondering how to approach on the logging road? I ended up sticking to the side of the road, but was still concerned about giving away myself with movement, but walking in the bush just made a ton of noise if I paralleled the road.

Also, I've never found a deactivated road around here, is there some kind of map or list by the forestry? Unfortunately there's not many roads here where motorized access is restricted..

Edit: Just seen that it's not answering to the replies specifically but just in general to the whole thread, I guess i would have to Reply with Quote to answer individually?
    Last edited by Gianni2507; 05-28-2023 at 01:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gianni2507 View Post
    Are you walking around the outside of Cutblocks to find sign?

I walked in on a Cutblock yesterday and found myself wondering how to approach on the logging road? I ended up sticking to the side of the road, but was still concerned about giving away myself with movement, but walking in the bush just made a ton of noise if I paralleled the road.

Also, I've never found a deactivated road around here, is there some kind of map or list by the forestry? Unfortunately there's not many roads here where motorized access is restricted..

Edit: Just seen that it's not answering to the replies specifically but just in general to the whole thread, I guess i would have to Reply with Quote to answer individually?
    So its whitetails. OK. If you are concerned with disturbing an area, try to find a high vantage point and glass. As was pointed out, if you find recent sign or activity in an area, then concentrate there. Some times you just have to walk an area to get a feel for it. The good news is that starting this early will not disturb an area unless you frequent it often. Yes you can install game cams and all that stuff, but realistically I would bet that not many of the deer your after have gone full nocturnal this time of year. if you want success you have to put in the time and effort. There is no easy way to do it, short of feet on the ground. it will be a good learning experience. There are few if any places around where you just drive or walk in and harvest an animal. It takes work and persistance. Just like anything good, hard work pays off. Good luck