Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dumb idea?? Small stove in regular tent??

Dumb idea?? Small stove in regular tent??

OK before everyone jumps all over me, there's at least a bit of sense behind this question (maybe):

I'm considering retrofitting a regular backpacking tent with a small titanium stove. The tent I'm considering is the Big Agnes Blacktail hotel - it's got a huge vestibule that with sewn-in silicone jack would easily house a small stove, outside the main tent area. Now i know that nearly every tent out there says no cooking/heating appliances due to fire hazard so here's my question: What's different about all the tents that are made for a stove like the various teepee tents, stone glacier, arctic oven, etc. Is the material of all those actually more heat resistant and safer?

Anyway, I know I've posted about similar things before but I just can't seem to find the perfect solution for 2 people alpine hunting... Light enough, bug free for hot days, hot tent for drying out gear the next day when it snows....
    - teepee tents sweat badly, brutal in wind, no bug proofing without severely cutting down on space, huge footprint
    - artic oven awesome but too heavy and expensive
    - stone glacier is too large/heavy
    - nortent gamme 4 sold out everywhere, and not much info about em
    - canvas tents too heavy, not waterproof...

What am I missing here? Are there really no other solutions for a backpacking hot tent? Keen to hear what you guys have come up with. Cheers,
    TJ
    Last edited by Timberjack; 05-20-2023 at 09:00 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Dumb idea?? Small stove in regular tent??

With the tepee tents i find condensation isnt an issue when its consistently below freezing. I agree about the wind, but have always found room for the footprint.

The tipi design is wider at the bottom where the stove is hot and taller so allows the heat to dissipate in the pipe before it is close to the tent at the top. This design is what makes it work well with a stove.

I would forget about trying to have a stove for high alpine hunting. There is little to no wood up high, and its usually wet. Stick to a backpacking tent for early season, dry your gear in the sun and wind. Later season use a tipi and stove and camp on the tree line where wood is sufficient and you are blocked from the wind.

Works for me anyways.

My luxe megahorn Was awesome in 80K plus winds. It outperformed any tent I've ever used in the last 25 years.

Quote Originally Posted by sako79 View Post
    My luxe megahorn Was awesome in 80K plus winds. It outperformed any tent I've ever used in the last 25 years.
    Yup mine too....what Trekker said is definitely something to consider there OP...

Luxe is a terrible company, buy Seek Outdoors if you are after a tepee tent.

Retrofitting a backpacking tent is definitely doable and for inspiration I’d watch a YouTuber called lonewolf902 who does a bunch of these conversions

With a tipi you won’t snuff yourself from carbon monoxide poisoning using a stove as long as you pitch it correctly, which, incidentally, will eliminate the condensation problem.

Most guys that have a condensation problem after they go to a tipi are guys that think they need the tent snugged down tight to the ground. A few inches of airspace at the bottom will solve that.

As to wind, unless you are going with an Everest quality non-freestanding Hilleberg you aren’t even approaching the wind shedding ability of a Seek. Twice I’ve had traditional higher end backpacking tents squashed flat by storms while I was in them, and it wasn’t a lot of fun wondering seriously if the wind was going to catch the tent and snatch me up into the air and fling me off the mountain. Spent the entire night holding onto tent fabric and tried to keep poles from bending and collapsing.
    Couple years later we hit the same conditions but they lasted longer, but in a tipi we drank coffee and read books.

And yes, you need a bigger footprint, kind of. Doesn’t matter if it is flat, or level, or if there are bushes. Plunk it down over top, kick out a flat spot to sleep on, and call it good.

Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
    The tipi design is wider at the bottom where the stove is hot and taller so allows the heat to dissipate in the pipe before it is close to the tent at the top. This design is what makes it work well with a stove.

I would forget about trying to have a stove for high alpine hunting. There is little to no wood up high, and its usually wet. Stick to a backpacking tent for early season, dry your gear in the sun and wind. Later season use a tipi and stove and camp on the tree line where wood is sufficient and you are blocked from the wind.

Works for me anyways.
    Good point on the design aspect of the teepee - and makes sense for a late season hunt where you have temps consistently below freezing... However the problem I'm trying to solve is early season hunts where one day it feels like 30 in the alpine and the next morning you wake up to 6" of heavy wet snow. Tough to dry out gear and keep your head in the game when everything is totally soaked. And I guess I've always had great success finding dry wood to burn (the dead lower branches off spruce and fir - especially season).

Anyway, I'll look to learn a bit more about the teepees. They're certainly light...

TJ

Quote Originally Posted by Muledeercrazy2 View Post
    Luxe is a terrible company, buy Seek Outdoors if you are after a tepee tent.
    Why? Product quality or customer service?