Thread: Dumb idea?? Small stove in regular tent??

Threaded View

Dumb idea?? Small stove in regular tent??

OK before everyone jumps all over me, there's at least a bit of sense behind this question (maybe):

I'm considering retrofitting a regular backpacking tent with a small titanium stove. The tent I'm considering is the Big Agnes Blacktail hotel - it's got a huge vestibule that with sewn-in silicone jack would easily house a small stove, outside the main tent area. Now i know that nearly every tent out there says no cooking/heating appliances due to fire hazard so here's my question: What's different about all the tents that are made for a stove like the various teepee tents, stone glacier, arctic oven, etc. Is the material of all those actually more heat resistant and safer?

Anyway, I know I've posted about similar things before but I just can't seem to find the perfect solution for 2 people alpine hunting... Light enough, bug free for hot days, hot tent for drying out gear the next day when it snows....
    - teepee tents sweat badly, brutal in wind, no bug proofing without severely cutting down on space, huge footprint
    - artic oven awesome but too heavy and expensive
    - stone glacier is too large/heavy
    - nortent gamme 4 sold out everywhere, and not much info about em
    - canvas tents too heavy, not waterproof...

What am I missing here? Are there really no other solutions for a backpacking hot tent? Keen to hear what you guys have come up with. Cheers,
    TJ
    Last edited by Timberjack; 05-20-2023 at 09:00 PM.

2. Site Sponsor