Thread: Quesnel Lake

Quesnel Lake

Hi All,

I am planning a fishing trip on the August Long weekend, and am wondering how Quesnel Lake fishes around that timeframe. I am thinking of camping in the Mitchell Bay/Horsefly Bay area. I will be fishing out of a kayak, so my range will be limited to 5ish miles from my camp location.

The kayak is built for dealing with chop and I use it in the ocean frequently, so I am not fussed about taking it in such big water. I can effectively troll from it, which will likely be my primary fishing method, with some vertical jigging possible if the wind cooperates.

Any help would be appreciated, I will give a fishing report upon my return.

Cheers,

Sylus
    "The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of it's lonely freedom."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Quesnel Lake

hmmm the time is good...the lake is fine...only fished it 2 ways..flies where the creeks enter the lake..or pulling APEX lures...not all locations hold fish at all times..fish move in lakes..unlike rivers/creeks..
    downrigger or lead core line...lake is BIG enough that it doesnt heat up but it warms up..

cheers tight lines
    Steven

As Steven said regarding the fishing....

Just watch the weather. All good that you are fine with the chop, but the one thing about this lake, is it can come come up very fast and hard.

Keep your head up and I'm sure you will have a good time and good fishing.

M.

I caught a Few Nice BOWS in the Mitchell Bay Area . RJ

Thanks for the help everyone.

10-4 on the weather coming up quick. When fishing big water in the kayak you have to be prepped to put it on the beach at anytime and wait things out. No trout is worth an unplanned swim.

Sylus
    "The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of it's lonely freedom."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

That time of year I would toll large streamer flies on the surface 3 - 5+mph, they like it FAST!! from that location, I would fish the north eastern point of mitchell Bay then head east down the shoreline to horsefly Bay, thru the narrows then swing north to follow the shore line of cariboo island. Trolling around in horsefly Bay can be good as well.

Good luck!
    Chris
    "Do not go where the path may lead,
    go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson