Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Help with getting 1st big game animal

Help with getting 1st big game animal

This is my 2nd year hunting, and I've been doing well with getting grouse. But still trying to get my 1st big game animal.
    I'm heading upto and around Vernon for 3 days next weekend, and was wondering if anybody had any advice for spring black bear?
    Thanks

2. Site Sponsor

Central Interior of our beautiful british columbia.

Re: Help with getting 1st big game animal

I typed into the seach bar, "black bear", and it come up with a pile of threads covering this topic. Make sure you have some type of cooler lined up, its gonna be hot!
    "A good day hunting is mud on your truck or blood on your hands"

“Some people go to church and think about hunting……………others go hunting and think about God!”

It's actually called the 375 "ouch and ouch"!!

"Not asking for any spots or anything like that............................................"

I'd start with looking in the search bar on the home page of this site, type in 'spring black bear hunting ', read some of the threads, then you report back to us with what areas you should be targeting, and what strategies you should be using, and we'll go from there...

Central Interior of our beautiful british columbia.

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    I'd start with looking in the search bar on the home page of this site, type in 'spring black bear hunting ', read some of the threads, then you report back to us with what areas you should be targeting, and what strategies you should be using, and we'll go from there...
    Hahaha, great minds think alike? moosin
    "A good day hunting is mud on your truck or blood on your hands"

“Some people go to church and think about hunting……………others go hunting and think about God!”

It's actually called the 375 "ouch and ouch"!!

"Not asking for any spots or anything like that............................................"

Cruise around looking for areas with good greenup and bear shit. Approach these areas in the last few hours of the day with the wind in your advantage.
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Go high. Greenup has moved a long way already and the bears have spread thin around here.
    drive to the top of 97c or more east if you prefer and start going up.. virtually no bear movement before 7-8pm this last week.

I should have just searched for that in the beginning.
    Newish to the site and i didn't even think of doing that.
    But i searched, looks like i need to find south facing slopes, deactivated spur roads that has green up. And other sign, scat tracks etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukebc86 View Post
    I should have just searched for that in the beginning.
    Newish to the site and i didn't even think of doing that.
    But i searched, looks like i need to find south facing slopes, deactivated spur roads that has green up. And other sign, scat tracks etc.
    honestly I’d be starting to peruse north facing slopes at this point, as we move later into may and with the unseasonably hot weather they are likely looking for a cool refuge where they can also get their fill.

check out the bear derby thread as well, that way you know all the requirements and when you find your bear you can make an entry for a chance to win.
    Last edited by RyoTHC; 05-14-2023 at 02:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RyoTHC View Post
    honestly I’d be starting to peruse north facing slopes at this point, as we move later into may and with the unseasonably hot weather they are likely looking for a cool refuge where they can also get their fill.

check out the bear derby thread as well, that way you know all the requirements and when you find your bear you can make an entry for a chance to win.
    Place I checked out a couple weeks back, west facing, very little grass, a few hits here and there checked back this weeks. Same grass dang near going to seed and most of the dandelions already went to seed. More hits on the grass and some 3-5 day old scat. That's about it. I wasn't really hunting, more so just camping with a rifle and messing around with ham radio stuff. Tough to hunt East Harrison on the weekends and get away from the crowds. Even if you do the bass from this rave parties will vibrate your grey matter all evening. night through first light 10km as the crow flies

You're right, bears are no longer consolidated on small pockets of first grass. That came and went fast. First grass was late showing 300-600KM only a week or two ago and on now yogi has more munchies 800-1000M on east and north facing slopes than they did south and west just a week or two ago.

Only advice I can give for this thread now is unless you are seeing a fair bit of nipped grass that isn't too brown (more than 2mm brown edge is old news) on the edge it was ripped off or finding fresh green scat, don't focus there if you're keen on bears, move along until you find fresh hit grass, fresh scat, fresh tracks and fresh mauled stumps. If you find that, creep around on foot and poke in and out of all the places you can find good grass within a few km of that.

I'm living through you guys this year. If this advice even in part helps someone tag a bear that's good enough for me this year.
    Last edited by caddisguy; 05-14-2023 at 04:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by moosinaround View Post
    Hahaha, great minds think alike? moosin
    Lol definitely....