Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Morale boosting mountain meals?

Morale boosting mountain meals?

I was thinking about trying some more breakfast options so we could sit around on day 5 or so and enjoy somewhat of a good breakfast. I tend to run out of gas around day 6 and I’m starting to feel my age a bit.

Here’s my thoughts. Dehydrated breakfast sausage(Turkey or lean ground pork) scrambled eggs(which I already make) and some costco dehydrated hash browns.

I also make my own bacon and could over cure it with salt and just soak it in some water for a half hour when it’s time to eat. I’m sure it would last a few days in my bag.

Might even do a couple of these and try to relax a couple times for a good brunch instead of going flat out until I drop.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Morale boosting mountain meals?

Know anyone with a freeze dryer ?
    we eat like kings first day until the last day, anything you can think of pretty much..

from steaks, to chicken and ice cream sandwiches. Morale is always high.

rip back to town for some chinese food!

Quote Originally Posted by RyoTHC View Post
    Know anyone with a freeze dryer ?
    we eat like kings first day until the last day, anything you can think of pretty much..

from steaks, to chicken and ice cream sandwiches. Morale is always high.
    Freeze drying moose steaks and pasta with a meaty sause right now!!!

Quote Originally Posted by walks with deer View Post
    Freeze drying moose steaks and pasta with a meaty sause right now!!!

Funny enough I found game meat works much better than domesticated. Much leaner, so better final product by far.

looks like OP just needs to get with the times.. our freeze dryer paid for itself in its first season between all the meals, veggies from our gardens and morels I did. When you pay 15$ a pop for garbage mountain house it adds up real quick.

Bison jerky last you forever, light and easy to pack. Also Pemmican . Both these have been time tested for centuries.

Quote Originally Posted by RyoTHC View Post
    Funny enough I found game meat works much better than domesticated. Much leaner, so better final product by far.

looks like OP just needs to get with the times.. our freeze dryer paid for itself in its first season between all the meals, veggies from our gardens and morels I did. When you pay 15$ a pop for garbage mountain house it adds up real quick.
    I haven’t had mountain house since the last time i shit my pants in about 2014 or 15….
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bustercluck View Post
    I haven’t had mountain house since the last time i shit my pants in about 2014 or 15….
    thanks for the chuckle.. fair enough though.. so many people eating mountain house now I see the pouches being eaten beside fires at car accessible camp sites lol.

I will say though nothing quite boosts the morale like an ice cream sandwich or some cookie dough chunks after a long slog hauling an animal out of the bush on a remote hunt.

Just save all the blue smarties for that tough day
    Glad to say I have hunted Northern BC

Simon Fraser had pretty good judgement on what he found in BC

Quote Originally Posted by high horse Hal View Post
    Just save all the blue smarties for that tough day
    I thought we were supposed to eat the red ones last