Thread: Comparing the Zoleo vs Inreach

Comparing the Zoleo vs Inreach

Last weekend on my bear hunt I had the opportunity to compare my Zoleo To my buddies Garmin inreach. I was quite surprised that the Zoleo was so much faster at sending and receiving messages And we were sitting right next to Each Other at the campfire. I sent and Received multiple messages each way before he even got one out.

I also suspend and activate my Zoleo Every time I go out into the Bush I do not leave it activated all month. I use the unlimited plan and it's prorated. I only pay for the days that I leave it activated. And with the zolio you Keep your phone number and email Even after you suspend the only time you lose them is if you cancel your account.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Comparing the Zoleo vs Inreach

Sako79, I found the same issue with my inReach. When up the Whiteswan a couple of years back, it took 13 minutes to send and receive a text. My Zoleo is a matte of minutes. I sold the inReach and continue to love the Zoleo. I do the same thing with the monthly plan. In an out month to month depending what I am doing.

Chopper
    Quote Originally Posted by warnniklz View Post
    well they aren't scissoring... so at least one is male

Quote Originally Posted by Chopper333 View Post
    Sako79, I found the same issue with my inReach. When up the Whiteswan a couple of years back, it took 13 minutes to send and receive a text. My Zoleo is a matte of minutes. I sold the inReach and continue to love the Zoleo. I do the same thing with the monthly plan. In an out month to month depending what I am doing.

Chopper
    Yes it makes it quite cheap. I did a 6 day trip on the island and it only cost me $11. That. To me is cheap for emergency And unlimited messages..

I don't know if you can do that with the inreach

Haven’t had the chance to use inReach, but I have a zoleo and used it extensively last year on multiple trips out of service. Performed great. The weather forecast was accurate as well on the app. My only complaint is that since you have to use your phone to send custom messages you’re burning the battery on 2 devices which require charging over a longer trip. I wonder how well the sat messaging works on the new iPhone. I won’t be trading the zoleo for a garmin or any other device.

Quote Originally Posted by sako79 View Post
    Yes it makes it quite cheap. I did a 6 day trip on the island and it only cost me $11. That. To me is cheap for emergency And unlimited messages..

I don't know if you can do that with the inreach
    Garmin kinda puts the screws to you for subscriptions

The Annual freedom program fee has a fee of $49.95 and then you can activate or suspend as you need it. I went with the 10 message a month plan for $14.95. I mainly use the unlimited check-ins anyway
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

A little off topic, but anyone have issues with their garmin? Specifically trouble starting up (rare), or their compass gets thrown off often and needs often recalibration? Or sometimes glitches out and have to reset it.

I carry a compass at all times regardless, but for $400 something looking like I might have to send mine in to get looked at

I’ve never had an issue with my inreach but the cost of the Zoleo plan is intriguing. How long does the battery last on the Zoleo?