Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2023 LEH synopsis

Re: 2023 LEH synopsis

HMMM just finished first read...hmmmmm
    the antlerless mule deer draws continue to crater....50: 1 for 3 permits..WTH...

THE EASIER access..rut draws are enemic...however there are areas with plenty of moose and surprising amount of draws.....JUST STAY EAST OF THE FRASER....into Cariboo mts..hint

not worth it west of FRASER they have been chased day and night every day this year by those special little darlings..

elk are getting more numerous from hixion south on the east side of HIGHWAY...

good luck to all and if not having surgery I will of course be pleased to offer advice help
    steven

Quote Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
    Some rather fugly changes that appear to have no rhyme nor reason to them??
    It’s all moot to me. I’ve been putting in for easy odds hunts for the past 8 seasons and drawn exactly Jack shit. I have no reason to think this year will be any different. Of course, being a dumbass, I’ll try again this year too…
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

Best of luck to all of you !
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Quote Originally Posted by Redthies View Post
    It’s all moot to me. I’ve been putting in for easy odds hunts for the past 8 seasons and drawn exactly Jack shit. I have no reason to think this year will be any different. Of course, being a dumbass, I’ll try again this year too…
    That's because it's a random draw, theoretically that could happen every year for the rest of your life. At least that's what they tell me every time I whine about my lack of success in the draws.

same BS in the Peace where I've hunted for 40 years. LEH again is for 2pts, 10 or tri palm. No lack of bulls. Elk hunting last fall I saw 11 bulls in 9 days and zero would qualify for the LEH restriction. They are very abundant in the agricultural [mostly private] land where there are few predators [ griz, wolves, natives].

Quote Originally Posted by bullish View Post
    same BS in the Peace where I've hunted for 40 years. LEH again is for 2pts, 10 or tri palm. No lack of bulls. Elk hunting last fall I saw 11 bulls in 9 days and zero would qualify for the LEH restriction. They are very abundant in the agricultural [mostly private] land where there are few predators [ griz, wolves, natives].
    Those moose antler restrictions were in place during the general open season as well. There was a one-two week any bull season in some MU's at the end of August, but I doubt that will ever come back.

Quote Originally Posted by srupp View Post
    HMMM just finished first read...hmmmmm
    the antlerless mule deer draws continue to crater....50: 1 for 3 permits..WTH...

THE EASIER access..rut draws are enemic...however there are areas with plenty of moose and surprising amount of draws.....JUST STAY EAST OF THE FRASER....into Cariboo mts..hint

not worth it west of FRASER they have been chased day and night every day this year by those special little darlings..

elk are getting more numerous from hixion south on the east side of HIGHWAY...

good luck to all and if not having surgery I will of course be pleased to offer advice help
    steven
    I'm assuming the doe tags you're talking about are region 5? I saw more does in region 3 last year than I had in quite a few years. To the point that I wondered if their wintering areas could carry them. It's been a long time since I've seen so many with 2 fawns as well. Hope they made through the winter OK.
    "Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because you agree with it"
    -Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by RyoTHC View Post
    Massive reduction to the season length and draw numbers for California Bighorns. Kamloops lake September draws completely gone and the season is reduced by 25% length and is only 1 draw now.

I wish I could have seen how strong the herd at Kamloops used to be, because last year I was quite impressed with the numbers of mature rams, but I have no idea what number they are looking for, for their ram to ewe ratio.. honestly looked like 1 mature ram for every 8-10 ewes.
    That should set a new record for odds. I have heard lamb #'s are down but not from a breeding issue, from survival issues. I believe the cougars and wolves are the issue. Got a couple of wolves years ago and backtracked them to a dead ewe and lamb. When the snow flies you can surely see the number of Cats and Dogs hunting the slopes above the lake.

hmmm Kamloops lake has good recruitment but poor retention...the loss...wolves cougars are THE prime suspects....

GOOD LUCK TO ALL..
    Steven

Where MD doe, Moose cow/calf draws are down to one, it's only there to appease those that want them open. As we all know , when it's removed, it's unlikely to return. Which is a unjustified way of management. If they bounce back strong, open it up again, but that's to much to expect of our short staffed underfunded mismanagement of our wildlife.
    Where MD are struggling, or moose, cow/calf, it blows my mind that they should have any antlerless draw at all.
    They are not like the WT when it comes to survivability.
    I wish our government past and present would quit managing by reaction and emotion, plus catering to FNs demands.
    WSSBC
    BCWF
    CCFR
    BHA