Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2023 Spring bear derby official entry thread.

2023 Spring bear derby official entry thread.

Please don’t reply to this thread unless it’s an official entry.

Here we go! Now that the first few members have harvested their spring meat haul I thought it’s time to get this up.

bear with me (ha ha ) as I’m editing this.

please do not post or reply here unless you have a official entry! Hopefully everyone that enters will also post their own thread so they can include a link to it in their official entry where everyone can go to discuss the hunt or the bear etc.

I will be updating this with a regurgitation of the official rules, please follow them to a tee.

I have a couple PMs, I will be replying asap I haven’t forgot about you it has been extremely busy week and I’m working on securing a couple more prizes. Fingers crossed.

General Rules:

All entries must be BC wildlife.

1 cut bear tag = 1 ballot for the draw

All entries MUST be accompanied by a photo, posted on this thread.
    If you can’t post picture yourself or have any issues you can email me and I will post them for you.

All entrants *MUST* be members of HBC no later than Apr 1 2023.

All entrants *MUST* be accompanied by a short story of the hunt. Links to another HBC thread are preferred and I’ll put an entry post in the contest thread for you.

All entries must be harvested in a legal manner, as prescribed by BC Wildlife/Hunting Regulations. Tag and HL #'s must be supplied upon demand if there is any questions.

picture of the cut tag with your bear is required, but personal details can be blurred out for the forum posts.

Winners will be determined by random draw done by a member not participating in the draw, but if not my local gun store owner will draw the winner.

Contest ends June 30/2023

Please allow up to 2 weeks after contest close to organize the draw and get the prizes mailed out to the winner.

All entries must use the form below to enter the contest, NO EXCEPTIONS. Entries that do not use the form format will be ignored. This simplifies and streamlines the process so no one is missed and this is fair.

Required Information

Species:
    Date of Kill:
    Region:
    Harvest method inc caliber(unless it’s a bow kill)

Short Storycan be substituted by a link to a thread you posted yourself.)

photo last:

please don’t post here unless it’s an official entry.
    Last edited by RyoTHC; 05-03-2023 at 06:37 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: 2023 Spring bear derby official entry thread.

Species: Black Bear
    Date of Kill: April 29th, 2023
    Region: 2
    Harvest method and caliber: Browning X-Bolt .300 Win Mag, 180 grain Nosler Accubond. Spot and Stalk.

Story:
    http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...-My-First-Bear

Last edited by TheObserver; 05-25-2023 at 10:08 PM.

Spring Bear 2023

Date of Kill: 2023-05-16
    Region:6 Skeena
    Harvest method: 150gr Accubond from a 280 Ackley Improved

Short Story:
    Spring Bear 2023 (huntingbc.ca)

photo last:

The forum keeps saying the file is too large so there are photos at the link below

Photos of Bear and Tag
    Last edited by Bado20; 05-24-2023 at 10:00 AM.

Last edited by Greenthumbed; 05-26-2023 at 06:02 AM.
    "A true conservationist is a man who knows that the world is not given by his fathers, but borrowed from his children." John James Audubon

Date of Kill: May 22
    Region: 7
    Harvest method inc caliber 300wm 200gr Nosler AB

Tag: https://imgur.com/a/gSDMaZj

Story: http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...lood-Bath-Bear

"Our arrows will block out the sun!" "Then we shall fight in the dark!" K.L. Government is not the solution to our problem, it is the problem. R.R. “One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.” M.F. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClJ...fYFveARiWyqjQA

Date of Kill: May 28 2023
    Region: 3
    Harvest method inc caliber: 300 WSM, 165gr Barnes TSX

Story & pics:
    http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...ps-Spring-Bear

Tag: https://i.imgur.com/CB9cZLvl.jpg
    Last edited by grantk; 06-05-2023 at 08:24 AM.

Here's my official entry.

Black Bear
    Taken June 6, 2023
    Region 3
    BLR in 308 - shooting 150 grain Whitetail Hornady interlocks.

I hit the shoulder and broke it. It looks like the bullet went into several pieces as I found a big chunk in the ribs on the opposite side.

I used Imgur but it looks like I might need help with the pix - why is this the only forum I have difficulty posting pix on?

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...59#post2404759

Black Bear
    June 11, 2023
    Region 3
    Tikka T3 7mm Rem Magnum
    Hunter: Eric (13)

I took my son and two neighbour boys out bear hunting this weekend. We met up with a few of our relatives and their children. We were on bears even before camp was set up. On sunday late morning, two adults and 5 children were all hiking after a sow and boar that we saw from the other side of the mountain. Quite comical, really. With that many children in a line on the way to the bears' last location, we needed to stop often to catch grasshoppers and butterflies. But that is what it is all about. After about an hour and a half stalk, we were in position. Two shooters were ready and set up on the highest point of the hill. The sow and boar were coming in fast.... and close. My brother in law would be second shooter, while my son Eric (13 yo) would shoot first. Little did we know at the time, but there was a second boar behind the first one. Both after the same sow. So the sow came out first, then the chocolate boar. He presented a 40 yard shot, at which the bear did two summer saults after the first shot. Then he took off away from us. Eric reloaded, and shortly after disappearing, he reappeared running in the opposite direction with a true monster black boar behind him. Eric shot the brown boar again, and he succumbed to his wounds. Alerted, the big black one stopped and presented my brother in law with an offhand shot, which he made perfectly. The black one will make B&C book (if entered). Eric's chocolate bear went 6'2". We got a pretty amazing picture of the two bears dead, side by side. But I don't have permission yet to post that picture. Attached is Eric's bear.

Last edited by eatram; 06-19-2023 at 09:16 AM.
    WSSBC Life Member

Black Bear
    June 10, 2023
    Region 3
    Tikka T3 7mm Rem Magnum (same gun Eric used too)
    Hunter: Caleb (13)

This bear was shot on the same trip as Eric above. The first day as we arrived at the hunting camp, we chased a young color phase bear, but light ran out before we caught up with him. The next day, Caleb (13 yo) was hunting with Eric (13), his brother (11) and myself. We found another color phase bear but it had a few cubs with her. Later on in the afternoon, we drove to a swampy area, and found a lone black bear about 600 yards away. The four of us stalked within 100 yards of the unsuspecting bear, and Caleb made a great shot. She ran about 30 yards and died in her tracks. This is Caleb's very first big game animal. Last year was his first year ever hunting. I believe that a flame was lit under him and we have not seen the last of his successes.

Last edited by eatram; 06-19-2023 at 09:16 AM.
    WSSBC Life Member

Black Bear
    June 14th 2023
    Region 3
    Savage 110 7mm Remington Magnum 155g Terminal Ascent

Story: http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...t-bear-harvest