Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Northern MU 6 GOS Moose

Northern MU 6 GOS Moose

Well after out licking our wounds and feeling sorry for ourselves about not getting our LEH in 7-11 we are looking at what other adventures we can get up to. Since this is more about getting out together the need to bring home meat is only secondary. However, it sure would be nice to harvest a big game animal before what is left gets handed over to one particular group.

We have turned our sights to the BC/Yukon border which is about the only place left that holds the potential for GOS moose. My son seems to feel he has a handle on those regs. For me.....I don't think I'm smart enough to decipher them. They sure don't make it easy. I'm ok with spending some money on fuel and some quality time in the truck on that long, long drive but I'm struggling to even know where to begin with a game plan.

Areas of interest:
    6-23 (which looks to be limited to a corridor along the river and we don't have a jet boat)
    6-24
    6-26

Our dates are approximately Sept 20th- October 10th any what areas do have any bull open seem to add antler restrictions as of Sept 30th.

This is not a plea for your favorite hunting spots but I'd be really appreciative of some help trying to decipher these regs and maybe some shared experiences from the north.

Thanks for any help and feel free to PM if you prefer.

Brian

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Northern MU 6 GOS Moose

The open GOS is due to a lack of access... you can hike,horse,or fly..

Thank you, we are working on a plan to hike. 2 guys packing a moose out would be a hell of a lot of work but it would make the victory that much sweeter. After spending a lot of time last night pouring over maps my boy and I are still interpreting things differently. When we look at the Northern MU's of Region 6 we see Bulls GOS August 23rd to October 31st. However, as you work your way down you run into all kinds of exceptions. Do those exceptions apply only to the areas identified on the maps ie the corridor along the Dease/Liard. Iskut Rivers? Is it fair game outside of those areas provided that you aren't trespassing on Reserve or Private lands?

Access does look pretty bad in the area so yes we are prepared to work for this.

We are focussing our efforts on the Turnagain River area which looks promising but we need to get back a bit off that Kutcho mine rd to be out of 7-52 and into 6-23. Eaglehead lake looks particularly interesting to me but it is too far back to hike. Satellite imagery shows what looks like some old industrial roads in the that whole general area. I would imagine that there are quad trails everywhere there but I'm confused about the motor vehicle restriction to 10m off the rd from the commencement of the Jade/Boulder Rd u to Cariboo pass. Does this rule apply all the way back to the mine site and beyond? Does anyone have experience in this area?

Not to be a downer but there must be a dozen threads on this site about this very topic. Your best bet for Northern 6 is going to be a fly in deal unless you know the area personally. Very limited roadside access, blockades, restricted industry access etc. I could be wrong on this but Im fairly certain 6-26 doesn't even have a road. 6-23 and 6-24 would be your most access able but without horses or boats your range is very limited. This is very big country, extreme weather changes and very remote access and a very big undertaking. If you have 10 days to hunt, plan and pack for 20.

Quote Originally Posted by S.W.A.T. View Post
    Not to be a downer but there must be a dozen threads on this site about this very topic. Your best bet for Northern 6 is going to be a fly in deal unless you know the area personally. Very limited roadside access, blockades, restricted industry access etc. I could be wrong on this but Im fairly certain 6-26 doesn't even have a road. 6-23 and 6-24 would be your most access able but without horses or boats your range is very limited. This is very big country, extreme weather changes and very remote access and a very big undertaking. If you have 10 days to hunt, plan and pack for 20.

We have read all those threads. Most of them are 10 plus years old. There is some I interesting info but a lot of regulatory and acces issues have changed. Much of the regulatory issues we can figure out on our own. We have been in touch with Koucho mines and are awaiting a response from the CO'S. What we could really use right now is to connect with someone who has hunted the area as you can only do so much with satellite imagery.

Quote Originally Posted by Breiber View Post
    We have read all those threads. Most of them are 10 plus years old. There is some I interesting info but a lot of regulatory and acces issues have changed. Much of the regulatory issues we can figure out on our own. We have been in touch with Koucho mines and are awaiting a response from the CO'S. What we could really use right now is to connect with someone who has hunted the area as you can only do so much with satellite imagery.

I haven't been on the road your looking at, but been on a few of the mine roads up around Dease. Be aware that they aren't nice forest service roads. Most aren't suitable for a regular pickup truck. Big ruts, rough creek crossings, washouts etc are the norm. Most guys are taking quads in.

Quads are an option. Just trying to learn the vehicle/atv restrictions

I know a lot of Hunters here from PG that used to hunt up there but now if we don't get an LEH its a tough go and a long drive even from PG . unless you take a fly in / horses etc , you are better of to try for an immature in area 7 unless you want the big northern adventure , we used to go into the Klappan area but Its now on LEH without quads etc, with the limited acess and road washouts up there and the Taltans hassling you its not much fun , good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Breiber View Post
    Thank you, we are working on a plan to hike. 2 guys packing a moose out would be a hell of a lot of work but it would make the victory that much sweeter. After spending a lot of time last night pouring over maps my boy and I are still interpreting things differently. When we look at the Northern MU's of Region 6 we see Bulls GOS August 23rd to October 31st. However, as you work your way down you run into all kinds of exceptions. Do those exceptions apply only to the areas identified on the maps ie the corridor along the Dease/Liard. Iskut Rivers? Is it fair game outside of those areas provided that you aren't trespassing on Reserve or Private lands?

Access does look pretty bad in the area so yes we are prepared to work for this.

The jade boulder road is not for the faint of heart, there is huge tank trap water/mud holes. Water over the hood of my landcruiser on 35s. Legally cant stray far from the road although some do as there are side trails. When we were there COs flew in helicopters, touched down and gave a few tickets and took one guys caribou. Be prepared to push willow unless you spot a moose close to the road or a lone bull that is receptive to calls. Its an adventure for sure if thats what you are after.

The regs are complicated, seems it keeps getting worse, same with fishing. I sometimes wonder if its on purpose. If you use the hunt buddy app its easier, pretty sure you can change the dates and areas to see whats open when.
    "Our arrows will block out the sun!" "Then we shall fight in the dark!" K.L. Government is not the solution to our problem, it is the problem. R.R. “One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.” M.F. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClJ...fYFveARiWyqjQA