Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Butchering at the cabin / Transporting to the cabin

Re: Butchering at the cabin / Transporting to the cabin

I contacted a co about a similar situation. I asked if I could cut my deer at my cabin and bring it back to my primary residence. He told me that it has to be inspected before cut up. He said according to the law my cabin is just some place I go to and that unless you live at your cabin for 6 months plus a day it is not considered your residence. But I'm not a lawyer, call the co and ask.

I would say if what ever you harvest that is supposed to be inspected should be inspected and ask for a receipt then go back to your cabin and then process the harvested game. As for the bringing the harvested game from a previous year for consumption I would think you would need to have your canceled tag and a receipt for inspection if it needed to be inspected. All I'm saying is you have to cross your "T"s and dot your "I"s (CYA).

Quote Originally Posted by ACB View Post
    I would say if what ever you harvest that is supposed to be inspected should be inspected and ask for a receipt then go back to your cabin and then process the harvested game. As for the bringing the harvested game from a previous year for consumption I would think you would need to have your canceled tag and a receipt for inspection if it needed to be inspected. All I'm saying is you have to cross your "T"s and dot your "I"s (CYA).
    Lets not get ridiculous, last years meat doesn't require any nonsense like that.

Quote Originally Posted by lovemywinchester View Post
    This was 10 years ago. My friend shot deer on the way to a hunting camp at Tunkwa Lake Resort. We were there for a week so buddy butchered it and froze it. When he was on his way back to Squamish a week later he was stopped near Lillooet and was fined for transporting the deer cut up. $150 iirc. Still had the head but not attached of course.
    I will ask him what the actual charge was, I don't recall.
    I shot my deer in October, and moved in November....are you saying they could ticket me for moving my deer that was cut up?? I doubt this information is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by sed8ed;[URL="tel:2400386"
    2400386[/URL]]I know this has been brought up before but I'm not sure about the applications now.

My partner and I just bought property between Ft nelson and FSJ in 7-48 and are in the process of setting up to build a house/cabin there. This place will have a walk in cooler/cutting room for future use but for now we are planning on spending June through to October 10 up there building our retirement home but also hunting.

Both our fixed addresses are in Maple Ridge but we are considering changing her residence address to up there but not right away due to custody issues, I can't change mine for a while for the same reason, plus I own a house down here and have to deal with the homeowners declaration / tax.

When we head up, we will be bringing one of the freezers with us full of elk and deer that I butchered at my house from last season for general eating purposes plus when we are there we will be hunting spring black bear as well as regular big game during GOS. If one of us takes an elk in say September, what are we expected to do with it until we head back down for the winter work season? We are around 3.5 hours from either Fsj or Ft nelson so I wouldn't necessarily want to transport it to either location in the heat for an inspection but I am going to have to cut it to fit it in the freezer for the rest of the time we are there.

Also, what about the meat we are bringing up or back down if there is any left from the year before?

If we make that property her residence, what about any animals I take? Can I cut them at her place of residence?

Thanks

Relax, go shoot your game, eat your game and I certainly wouldn’t be worried about a CO in this case.. don’t overthink it
    I like drinking beer and whiskey, shooting guns, jetboating, love a nice rack and a tight line, I am simply a sophisticated redneck...

I emailed a game inspection couple years ago asking if I could butcher and wrap game at my cabin and this was the response;

We do not conduct inspections to allow hunters to remove evidence of sex and species unless exceptional circumstances apply. The current regulations provide a great deal of flexibility, allowing proper care and transportation of wildlife meat so that it arrives at your permanent residence in excellent condition.

The purpose of the current possession and transportation regulations is to allow Conservation Officers to identify the number, species and sex of harvested wildlife to ensure they were taken lawfully.

The current regulations allow you to debone, part and freeze a wildlife carcass provided you leave naturally attached to one piece of the carcass the required parts as outlined on page 20 of the hunting and trapping regulations. I would recommend leaving the pieces as large as possible and providing ready access to the evidence of sex/species to ease potential inspection by an officer. If an officer is not able to verify the legality of the animal(s) by visual inspection they may seize the animal and conduct testing to ensure compliance with the regulations.

The regulations do not allow the final processing of wildlife meat at a hunting cabin. Your options are to transport the carcass to your permanent residence or to drop off the animal at a meatcutter.

Regards,

Daniel Lirette, R.P.Bio.
    Senior Wildlife Biologist
    Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations
    Cariboo Region
    (250) 395-7885
    Last edited by notyalc; 05-07-2023 at 08:58 AM.

This was my question and the response I received when I emailed about this topic. I have removed the CO's name.

Hello,

I have a question about removing evidence of sex & species.

If I brought an elk (or any other species of animal) in to have an inspection done by a Compulsory Inspector, after it has been inspected could I then butcher the animal in camp (not at my place of residence)?

Thanks,

Hi James, I have attached a copy of the section from the hunting synopsis that speaks to your question. Please see the 3rd bullet under “Removing Evidence of Sex & Species”. So, the short answer is yes. I would also add that if a person choses to do this, they would still need to provide a copy of the CI information as well as any species licenses and documentation that might be associated such as limited entry requirements. I hope this answers your question.

Conservation Officer
    Thompson Fraser Zone / Conservation Officer Service
    3840 Airport Road, Merritt, BC V1K 1B8
    (250) 378-0569 / Fax (250)378-8372

Report All Poachers and Polluters
    1-877-952-7277 (RAPP) or www.rapp.bc.ca

Designate your cabin a meatcutter shop. Make your self an invoice for transport.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

This argument came up a few yrs ago….as the regs state, your animal can be butchered/evidence of sex removed, once the animal is at your primary residence, at a butcher or it has been inspected by a CI. This isn’t rocket science. Harvest your animal, have it inspected/butchered then transport it home to your house. Just keep the receipt/inspection papers.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyJack View Post
    Lets not get ridiculous, last years meat doesn't require any nonsense like that.
    You're right it is ridiculous, but it wouldn't hurt to have receipts and canceled tag from previous year, like I said cya. The thing with CO's is when they stop you, they just assume you've done something illegal. CYA! Do what ever you want it's your butt on the line.