Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Butchering at the cabin / Transporting to the cabin

Butchering at the cabin / Transporting to the cabin

I know this has been brought up before but I'm not sure about the applications now.

My partner and I just bought property between Ft nelson and FSJ in 7-48 and are in the process of setting up to build a house/cabin there. This place will have a walk in cooler/cutting room for future use but for now we are planning on spending June through to October 10 up there building our retirement home but also hunting.

Both our fixed addresses are in Maple Ridge but we are considering changing her residence address to up there but not right away due to custody issues, I can't change mine for a while for the same reason, plus I own a house down here and have to deal with the homeowners declaration / tax.

When we head up, we will be bringing one of the freezers with us full of elk and deer that I butchered at my house from last season for general eating purposes plus when we are there we will be hunting spring black bear as well as regular big game during GOS. If one of us takes an elk in say September, what are we expected to do with it until we head back down for the winter work season? We are around 3.5 hours from either Fsj or Ft nelson so I wouldn't necessarily want to transport it to either location in the heat for an inspection but I am going to have to cut it to fit it in the freezer for the rest of the time we are there.

Also, what about the meat we are bringing up or back down if there is any left from the year before?

If we make that property her residence, what about any animals I take? Can I cut them at her place of residence?

Thanks

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Butchering at the cabin / Transporting to the cabin

This really sounds like a question for Fish and Wildlife...

I would think the wrapped meat that belongs to you now should be no problem transporting by you.

Possibly your cabin will be your home, cut and wrap any harvested game there... and then transport back when you are finished hunting...

That's my guess.
    Last edited by guntech; 05-01-2023 at 06:13 PM.
    . . . . .If I don't respond to your postings, maybe it is because you are on my "IGNORE" list
    . . . . . . . . . . . . I don't see the garbage you write. It's a wonderful tool

Also, we usually go halfers on a cow share every year but there is no receipt from a cutter since I do all the cutting myself... how would this work for transport?

I don't have any legal advice for you, but what I can share is of great value. From the time you pull the trigger, video tape a few things. Video tape all of the meat that you will pack out along with naming the date in the video. When you get to camp, video the meat hanging including the evidence of sex and include the date again. This way if you have a bear problem, you have evidence to back up your claim.

Similarly, when you load up your elk from your house, do a short video with timestamp with your intentions. Etc, etc, etc. This all saves you some hassles if sh*t ever does hit the fan. I have been saved much hassle on multiple hunts following this advice.
    WSSBC Life Member

Taken from the book!!

Anyone having wildlife butchered and
    packaged should obtain from the butcher a
    receipt which indicates:
    4the Fish and Wildlife ID, the species
    licence number, and the species, and sex of
    the animal taken
    And if you cut your own? More rules that create more questions than answers!

I've always assumed once cut an wrapped its just meat. Odds are you'll make the trip no issues but a call to Victoria wouldn't hurt. When you get answer let the rest of us know.
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

I dont know about the letter of the law, but as far as I can see your primary residence for the summer season will be your house up here. Once it's in your deep freeze then it's just groceries as far as I'm concerned. When you "move" south at the end of the season and you take the contents of your deep freeze with you, I can't see anyone getting too wound up about it. Keep all your records etc and I wouldn't overthink it. You clearly aren't out to pull a fast one here and you are making the effort to ensure you're on the right side of the law. I would just make sure your harvest is legal then carry on and you'll likely never have an issue.

Victoia BC when not at work, otherwise up North

Quote Originally Posted by eatram View Post
    I don't have any legal advice for you, but what I can share is of great value. From the time you pull the trigger, video tape a few things. Video tape all of the meat that you will pack out along with naming the date in the video. When you get to camp, video the meat hanging including the evidence of sex and include the date again. This way if you have a bear problem, you have evidence to back up your claim.

Similarly, when you load up your elk from your house, do a short video with timestamp with your intentions. Etc, etc, etc. This all saves you some hassles if sh*t ever does hit the fan. I have been saved much hassle on multiple hunts following this advice.
    Good advise for everybody.

Cheers

* When the People fear the Government there is Tyranny, when the Government fears the people there is liberty.
    * Studies have shown, Vegetarians are poor providers !
    * We are told this is the Information age. Seems to me more like the missinfomation age !
    * Most always the soft spoken ones are the most deceiving and Dangerous !
    * The Law is no substitute for Morality !

Be safe and happy Trails !

Honestly, just keep the tags you cut for whatever animal is in your freezer. Maybe stick em in a ziplock that is taped to the door or something. I don’t think a CO is gonna nail you for having a legally harvested animal in the freezer at your cabin.

Your primary residence would be your home in Maple Ridge unless you moved to your cabin for more than 6 months.

Get your animal compulsory inspected then you can butcher at your cabin. I started a thread on that and got confirmation from the CO service that you can remove evidence of sex once the animal is inspected. You’d still need the cut tag, letter from the CI and antlers/horns of the animal when transporting.

This was 10 years ago. My friend shot deer on the way to a hunting camp at Tunkwa Lake Resort. We were there for a week so buddy butchered it and froze it. When he was on his way back to Squamish a week later he was stopped near Lillooet and was fined for transporting the deer cut up. $150 iirc. Still had the head but not attached of course.
    I will ask him what the actual charge was, I don't recall.