Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Breatheable, lightweight, packable rain gear + telescoping trekking poles

Re: Breatheable, lightweight, packable rain gear + telescoping trekking poles

Quote Originally Posted by mod7rem View Post
    I’ve thought about carrying a Sil poncho for riding out storms instead of two or more guys wrapping up in a silnylon tarp.
    What brands or material ponchos are you guys using?
    The last ones I bought were from MEC 40 years ago. The orange one I keep in the boat go bag is still like new. But need a new camo one so I’m on the hunt for a new one.
    No one on their death bed ever said; I should have spent more time at work.

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    The last ones I bought were from MEC 40 years ago. The orange one I keep in the boat go bag is still like new. But need a new camo one so I’m on the hunt for a new one.
    Please let us know what you find.

I am using Outdoor Research Foray pants and jacket. Super lightweight. Not sure if 3 layer. Might only be 2. Works for me anyway and cheaper than the hunting brands but available in some natural looking solid colors.
    also use the Cascade trekking poles from Costco. Going 5 years strong on those.

I got a silponcho off Amazon by a company called OneWind. It’s great and I think only 40ish bucks!. All stretched out makes a nice 5x8 tarp as well. If you want non-china I’d go with Rab but you’ll pay 3 or 4 times as much.
    Last edited by RobbieH; 04-26-2023 at 05:41 PM.

i have the cabelas brand rain jacket, light and packs down small, its so thin that if i ditch a layer i can hike without sweating too much.
    poles i have MSR tried a few cheaper brands and hated them, the MSR should last me more than a decade of hard use.

Taiga
    Bulletproof!

For rain gear, I practice warm-when-wet and don't worry about it, skin is waterproof enough

I have two ponchos, both surplus, both are just basic flat with a head hole and hood, one is rubber the other is 'modern' lighter rubberized nylon
    so many uses for a tarp/poncho it would be tough to list them all
    only downside to a flat poncho is it doesn't cover a pack very well and it takes one real specialized to fit over a large expedition pack

but for breathability in rainwear its tough to beat a poncho, combined with hip waders for the ideal moose gear for slogging through the weeds
    Last edited by high horse Hal; 05-10-2023 at 08:46 AM.
    Glad to say I have hunted Northern BC

Simon Fraser had pretty good judgement on what he found in BC