Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breatheable, lightweight, packable rain gear + telescoping trekking poles

Breatheable, lightweight, packable rain gear + telescoping trekking poles

Hey guys,

Looking to get some high quality backpacking rain gear that can keep me as dry as possible in Blacktail/region 2 rainy country. From the research i've done, seems like a 3-layer gore-tex is the way to go for me. PVC/Rubber is ultimately the best as far as keeping water out, but I can only use it if I am sitting because I will sweat (which I find worse because it gets tacky and smells). I have some (I believe) Nylon stuff which I like how quiet it is, but it gets soggy/heavy when drenched and does a decent job keeping dry but ultimately fails in conditions that think I could get much more out of the gore-tex in.

Anybody got some recommendations from first hand use for 3-Layer Gore-tex lightweight/packable rain gear?

Another thing I need is some trekking poles, ideally telescoping. I'm not sure if I should go with aluminum or carbon. This seems like a product that you wouldn't have to pay top dollar for but obviously not out for garbage that will break. Haven't really looked into these much so any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks gents

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Breatheable, lightweight, packable rain gear + telescoping trekking poles

Quote Originally Posted by TheObserver View Post
    Hey guys,

Looking to get some high quality backpacking rain gear that can keep me as dry as possible in Blacktail/region 2 rainy country. From the research i've done, seems like a 3-layer gore-tex is the way to go for me. PVC/Rubber is ultimately the best as far as keeping water out, but I can only use it if I am sitting because I will sweat (which I find worse because it gets tacky and smells). I have some (I believe) Nylon stuff which I like how quiet it is, but it gets soggy/heavy when drenched and does a decent job keeping dry but ultimately fails in conditions that think I could get much more out of the gore-tex in.

Anybody got some recommendations from first hand use for 3-Layer Gore-tex lightweight/packable rain gear?

Another thing I need is some trekking poles, ideally telescoping. I'm not sure if I should go with aluminum or carbon. This seems like a product that you wouldn't have to pay top dollar for but obviously not out for garbage that will break. Haven't really looked into these much so any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks gents
    The kuiu, FL, SG, Sitka bashers will come out hard on this posts. Don't know if there is a perfect rain gear out there, but for me, either the Yukon or Kutana from Kuiu both do what you require well. The key to breathable, high end rain gear is retreatments of DWR and drying it out between uses. If your base camp hunting with a wall tent or cabin, this will help o much in preventing it from wetting out. It will wet out though. Have heard people make it 10 days elk hunting Van Isle with the Yukon set before wetting out. You will pay top dollar for either set and some believe this is just too much.

As for hiking poles, I have ran the Cascade Mountain carbon fiber from Costco for 5 years now, no issues excepting loosing a foot or two. The key to hiking poles: Aluminum bends and can be straightened if bent and taped back for use in the event of failure. Carbon breaks, once she is broken, she is broken.

I don’t have any Kuiu, Sitka, or FirstLite rain gear, but I have an Arc’teryx Beta AR, so I can speak to that option.

If you’re expecting to withstand several days of deluge without an opportunity to dry out in between, prepare to be disappointed (and wet).
    I wear my Beta while waterfowling, which I typically choose to do in the rainiest conditions possible, and I’ll get successive days out of it, no problem. The key there is that I bring it home to dry overnight.
    If it cant be done with one shot, it shouldn't be done.

"grab large claw hammer - put against butt cheek , pry head out of ass with claws...then go back to school..."

For rain gear I’ve used Gortex, and eVent in jackets and pants. They always seem to get soaked through even when I was replenishing the DWR coating regularly.
    The best rain jacket I’ve used to date is Columbia OutDry Extreme. Haven’t been soaked through yet and no DWR coating to mess with. I’m on my second one now because the shoulders were starting to show some wear from pack shoulder straps so decided to replace.
    I’ve been using First Lite rain pants for a couple years now and they seem to be keeping water out not bad so far. They do get soaked on the face fabric, but not soaking through so far. They’re are not overly durable and have a few tears down low from brush.
    Last edited by mod7rem; 04-25-2023 at 11:38 PM.

I haven’t figured out how to wear rain gear, exert myself and not sweat. It doesn’t really happen, you’ll sweat without rain gear on. It has to be pretty miserable out for me to wear rain gear. I pack a set of ultralight arcteryx rain pants that roll up small and deploy quickly over my boots and I was hauling around my Sitka downpour which is the best rain coat Ive ever owned, but it doesn’t have any pit zips at all. I switched that out for a Sitka dewpoint last year, but haven’t put it through any serious trials yet.

Durable and lightweight don’t go together, it’s either one or the other. One thing I like with rain jackets is a nice big hood that is rigid enough to stick out past your face with a bit of a brim to shelter your face from the elements. One thing I learned living on the west coast of the island was “you’re going to be wet all the time so just get comfortable being wet and you’ll be fine”. A friend of mine on the coast used to always make sure he had a dry pair of clothes to wear to bed every night. He kept them in a dry bag and always had a nice warm sleep which was crucial to him.

Ive bought a few sets of trekking poles from Amazon and haven’t had any issues with them. I can look up the model if you want them
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

As stated rain gear and exertion = sweat. For low activity jackets are ok but they cat vent moisture if they are always wet. I’m still a poncho and umbrella guy. Nothing allows better moisture venting, plus a poncho has so many other uses.
    No one on their death bed ever said; I should have spent more time at work.

Quote Originally Posted by mod7rem View Post
    For rain gear I’ve used Gortex, and eVent in jackets and pants. They always seem to get soaked through even when I was replenishing the DWR coating regularly.
    The best rain jacket I’ve used to date is Columbia OutDry Extreme. Haven’t been soaked through yet and no DWR coating to mess with. I’m on my second one now because the shoulders were starting to show some wear from pack shoulder straps so decided to replace.
    I’ve been using First Lite rain pants for a couple years now and they seem to be keeping water out not bad so far. They do get soaked on the face fabric, but not soaking through so far. They’re are not overly durable and have a few tears down low from brush.
    Second this post. I always found gore Tex anything to not be completely waterproof. Came across this jacket years ago and it’s been my go to since.

Also, bough those Costco poles in 2017. Rodents have chewed almost all the cork off but they’re still alive and I certainly put gear through it’s paces. Not bad for a 30 dollar set.

Living on Vancouver Island I feel your pain, I use Sitka Dewpoint and have been very happy. As a few above have mentioned the Costco Cascade Mountain poles have been great.
    Proud Member of Team Gold Bond

Originally Posted by F***** D***
    some "people" tend to use the paneling in the living room to fuel their fires.
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    I think I do perrty good for only having grad 7 education

The only rain gear that works in heavy rain for me is the poncho, anything else gets soaked from the inside. I always have gortex pants and coats on which are OK if it's just a light drizzle but when things get heavy the poncho comes out.

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    As stated rain gear and exertion = sweat. For low activity jackets are ok but they cat vent moisture if they are always wet. I’m still a poncho and umbrella guy. Nothing allows better moisture venting, plus a poncho has so many other uses.
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyJack View Post
    The only rain gear that works in heavy rain for me is the poncho, anything else gets soaked from the inside. I always have gortex pants and coats on which are OK if it's just a light drizzle but when things get heavy the poncho comes out.

I’ve thought about carrying a Sil poncho for riding out storms instead of two or more guys wrapping up in a silnylon tarp.
    What brands or material ponchos are you guys using?