Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Generators??

Re: Generators??

Not sure if this is fact or not but it would seem to me that a propane option would be good from the prospective of the fuel supply not going stale over time if the unit was only utilized infrequently.

The little gasoline generators are great and run well but if they are not utilized at least enough to keep the fuel fresh they do suffer from carburetor and fuel issues which I am thinking will be a huge benefit to going with a propane unit that can be switched to gasoline if you have a continuous use situation.

Just a thought for consideration.

Be well.../B
    Quote Originally Posted by wetcoastwillie View Post
    In general.... sometimes I may come across as being a prick.... but I'm human.... and cant always express my views as best as I should

never thought of that..great point

I personally have a Honda handi 3000i works the ac and anything else no problem

If your not using lots put a splash of sea foam in it

Quote Originally Posted by mike31154 View Post
    Seems to me I saw a dual fuel unit on sale at Costco earlier this year, perhaps a little larger than the one Blackford is wondering about.
    Costco in Cancun doesn’t sell dual or multi-fuel which surprised me. They do sell and install Generacs that automatically come in when the power goes down. They are common in hurricane country but come with a hefty price tag.

SSS
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

Just some thoughts...

I don't have access to natural gas at my place in the Cariboo, but I did pick up a Firman generator that is "tri-fuel" (gasoline, propane, and NG). Decent price on sale at Home Depot. As much as I'm a Honda fan, the price difference just didn't work for me. (Firman on sale for just over $1k, almost equivalent Honda was close to $6k....and the Honda was only gas).
    What I like about the propane is that it can be stored for a long time. Definitely eats more fuel than gas or diesel (and less output), but it allows for long term fuel storage. This larger generator will be wired up to the house with a transfer panel for any outages that will be longer term.
    I have a smaller "King" generator that I picked up on sale for just under $500. Around 4000 running/rated watts. I've had it for a couple of years and it's served me really well. Electric and remote start, works great and powers everything I need for an outage that lasts for 3 or 4 days (gas only). I have a "through wall kit" that allows me to plug in a 30A cord outside the house, and has 6 110V outlets inside. No need to run extension cords through a partially open door or window. It's a really good set up.
    I have a small Firman (2000 watts) that I've had for years. Used it hunting and camping. Quite like it but seems a bit finicky unless the gas is very fresh.
    A bit of rambling here, but I ordered a Bluetti "power station" (glorified battery) that I'm hoping will keep my internet and tv going for 24 hours or so (we'll see!). Plan is to run a generator for a few hours at a time, which ought to charge the "power station(s)", and keep the fridge and freezers cold. I like the idea of battery power so I can at least get online and check emails, post stupid sh*t on HBC, and irritate vegans on FB without a genny running while I'm having a few drinks......but I digress

I like the idea of adding some storage into the system (batteries/power stations etc...) to power things that don't need much start up power, and don't consume much power. From I've been able to find (depending on your needs), communication things can run on battery power for quite a while, lighting is the same (led), and the time you need to run a genny to keep the freezers cold, is around the same as it takes to charge your batteries/storage. I've thought about some solar, but not sure if that will part of my set up.

Just to be clear, I'm one of the biggest fans of Honda, Yamaha etc...but the prices seem over the top these days!

Anyways, just a few pennies worth of thoughts.

M.

ps....always add fuel stabilizer, and run your genny every month or so (with a bit of load). Change the oil every year at least....