Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Generators??

Re: Generators??

I like Honda's but really for what you are wanting how much do you really think you will use it? You might want to (if you go to the US sometime) consider a Predator generator from Harbor Freight, they have some nice inverter units that should fit the bill for you (and the Firman units from Costco are getting good recommendations). One thing I would strongly advise is to try a generator out running your AC and other stuff prior to jumping to buying as a lot of folks end up have to get bigger than they initially thought.

Be well.../B
    Quote Originally Posted by wetcoastwillie View Post
    In general.... sometimes I may come across as being a prick.... but I'm human.... and cant always express my views as best as I should

Actually moosin, Costco has one left sitting in the clearance section in Prince George for $849.00, only 70 lbs. propane or gas. If I didn’t have a 3000 Yamaha I’d have bought it

My 3000 invertor Honda runs air very easy but spendy, buck a watt today but fuel tank not big enough to run all night, Just a thought.

Central Interior of our beautiful british columbia.

Quote Originally Posted by TeeVee View Post
    Good god, since when do you need ac to go camping? It's always about heat at night. Anyways I have Honda, Makita (Honda again) and champion at my shack for when I have to charge batteries or run a pump. The Makita for some reason has outlasted everything else including the pull cord.
    I just bought an RV, a fancy one so mama will come with me! She doesn’t do tents, and likes to have a nice clean potty to do business! I have 2 wall tents, cots propane and wood stoves, but mama stays home if those come along!! My 2000 Honda doesn’t do the AC so I have to upgrade my power source for the rustic campsites!!
    I’m interested in the Onans but might be too loud?! The red and blues are expensive. That Costco one loud? I hate being that guy out there, I’m loud enough with my powerstroke diesel!! Moosin
    "A good day hunting is mud on your truck or blood on your hands"

“Some people go to church and think about hunting……………others go hunting and think about God!”

It's actually called the 375 "ouch and ouch"!!

"Not asking for any spots or anything like that............................................"

Has anyone got any experience with the Champion units? I've seen an inverter one at Costco but have never seen one in use so am a bit curious. I have a 2000w honda that has been great for 15? years.

When it comes to suitcase generators there are really only two choices.
    Honda or Yamaha. You pay a premium but it comes with great deal of peace of mind.

Quote Originally Posted by srthomas75 View Post
    Has anyone got any experience with the Champion units? I've seen an inverter one at Costco but have never seen one in use so am a bit curious. I have a 2000w honda that has been great for 15? years.

they are good for what you pay for, fairly quiet,my friend has two, an open frame invertor, which ive never seen in store, its on par with the hondas almost, its 4500 watts, and massive fuel tank, will go 12 hours at full draw and you can barely hear it from inside the true invertor type is as good as any other 3000-3300 watt invertor, not quite as quiet as the red and blue, but pretty good, plus side with champion is they are generally available everywhere so parts are easy to come by

Doubt you'd find a generator under 60 pounds that will run AC. You need something big to kick start an AC as in the initial jolt might need a 5000 watt bump start and 3000 will keep it running. My little Honda (650 watts) is heavy and it'll charge a battery or run a 2 slice toaster. will not do 4 slices. In a pinch, You could use it to run a fan and get a spray bottle of water and you'll have a swamp AC unit. lol

I run an off grid 30' trailer set up on the Costco Champion 4500w Inverter no problem.The negative for you is that it weighs 100lbs, but it is on wheels and has a good handle. I can run AC or the microwave no problem. I think I even have had them running at the same time without depleting my battery bank. I bought it on sale at Costco maybe 1.5 years ago for under $700. I believe they still sell it. I also have a 3+ year old Champion 2000w Inverter(great portability) and 5-6 yr old Champion 7500w generator, both bought on sale at Canadian Tire. All 3 start up No problem after a few pulls. The 4500w is really quiet, almost as quiet as the 2000w. You can run both beside the trailer at night and still sleep with no worry about bothering a neighbour. The 4500w will run all night without running out of fuel.The 2000w will not quite make it until the morning.The 7500 has been left out under a piece of poly and neglected it's whole life. Starts up after 3-6 pulls after sitting for 6 months and runs chops saws air compressors etc all at once no problem except that it is very loud!.I am very satisfied with all 3. I bought a firman 3500w inverter and had nothing but problems with it so returned it.We use Honda's at work and I agree that they are top of the line with Yamaha running a close 2nd. But for 1/2 to a 1/3 of the price the Champions have been great for me so far and I really do put them to the test.

Get a second Honda 2000, there is a Honda coupling kit . A couple of 2000s are much easier to move around than a 3000. A 2000 is fine for charging house batteries , two does AC.