Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Generators??

Central Interior of our beautiful british columbia.

Generators??

Hey guys, I'm looking for a new generator to run with my new to me travel trailer. I'd like something quiet, and able to run my AC on the really hot days camping and fishing. I'd like to be able to load it by myself, so 60ish pounds. What do you guys suggest, give me some real world advice!

Thanks, Moosinaround
    "A good day hunting is mud on your truck or blood on your hands"

“Some people go to church and think about hunting……………others go hunting and think about God!”

It's actually called the 375 "ouch and ouch"!!

"Not asking for any spots or anything like that............................................"

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Generators??

I got one of those Cummins Onan p4500i portable generators for my toy hauler. Remote start. I’m not sure the weight, but it has wheels and an extendable handle. Easy to move around. It will run the microwave, coffee pot and 1 AC at the same time no problem. But it will not run 2 AC’s. I think they are regular $1400. I got mine on sale for $1000, 2 years ago. You’re probably looking more at the 2000w Honda or Yamaha inverter generators though eh? Be the only ones around 60lbs I think.
    Last edited by Bullreaper; 04-21-2023 at 03:56 PM.

I know most people will say Honda, which are great units. About $1500 for a 2200w unit that will do 18-1900w continuous. Not sure if that’s enough to power your AC. I’ve got a Briggs and Stratton p2200 that runs great. Starts 2nd pull every time. Both are around 50lbs. You might not get the wattage you need out of a 60lb unit. You can run the B&S in series so two 2200w units, but now you’re spending lots of cash. The. P2400 B&S is $1100.

Most AC units need a 3000 watt unit.

Honda EU1000i for a my truck camper but won't run the microwave. Does run either the 5 cf or 12 cf chest freezer though. Also have a Honda EU2000i and it will run the microwave but is too small for AC units. Both of my Honda generators are 20 yrs old and bought used (had the bigger one 14 years and the little one 2 years). No problems with either outside of cleaning gunk out of the carburetors.

Check Costco. A friend just bought a unit from there $800 3500w inverter nice and quiet has wheels and an extendable handle runs on gasoline or propane I can easily pick it up.

i got a firman 3300 watt from costco for 650, you need over 3000 watts to run a standard AC and you`ll need to surge to be higher as it draws more then that to start, mines 3300 peak, and 3000 continuos runs it jsut fine and dandy, 3000watt honda will run it just find, honda an yamaha are spendy units, usually about $1 a watt or so, but quiet and usually have bigger tanks so can run all night if needed, my firman is good for 8 hours or so on one tank but its a small tank, and units about 90 ish pounds

Ya it’s the staring of the ac is the problem, once running demand is low but staring requires close to 3k I think. I have a honda is good. We have a few others that are noisy but much cheaper to buy and do the job

To start the AC you need a honest 2600 watts . So consider 3000 watts gennies as a minimum . Yami has a 2600 watt genny that works, we have one, just don't run anything else during start up. Another answer is a tandem of Honda 2000s . Any a$$hole that uses an open frame contractor genny in a camp ground deserves to have it shot. Good gennies are either red or blue.

Good god, since when do you need ac to go camping? It's always about heat at night. Anyways I have Honda, Makita (Honda again) and champion at my shack for when I have to charge batteries or run a pump. The Makita for some reason has outlasted everything else including the pull cord.

Honda or Yamaha JMO RJ