Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hanwag trapper top gtx product feedback

Re: Hanwag trapper top gtx product feedback

Post a photo when you get them back if you can. You got me curious now!

Quote Originally Posted by Blacktail 270 View Post
    Nothing worse than a squeaking boot. Try taking 80grit sandpaper to the inside of the boot and the tongue. Then oil them up. Worked for me on a pair of hikers that squeaked
    Thanks for the idea, will try it. I think the squeak comes from the inside tongue and upper heel material, it's a synthetic of some sort.

Bit of feedback. Got my Trapper Tops back yesterday. Was up a 3am this morning, through on the headlamp shouldered my pack and put in a good hike before work. Hiked a local steep trail (Mt Finlayson) with long sections of small broken rock, steep smooth flat dusty slabs and sidehilling. (the same one I did the last time I wore these boots and took a nasty slip)What a difference. They feel great, soles are softer and grippy as $%^&. The footbed is about 75% as stiff as it was but still a bit stiffer than my Alaska's. After I was off the mountain I hit the creek and climbed up on and off large rounds river rocks and did a bit of tiptoeing in the bush. Better grip with just the forefoot making contact on a wet river rock then the entire length of the original soles, better feel underfoot and I can most certainly move quieter. These were not cheap boots to begin with but is was well worth the money to have the soles changed now.

I'm sure between the Trapper Tops and my new Alaskas (that I use for my local training hikes, and on warmer weather hunts) I will be set for more than a decade. (my last pair of Alaskas had multiple respoles and lasted me a little over 10 before they started to leak)

With the amount of walking I do, I get around 4 years out of my Alaskas before I need resole (and that's a ton of walking per year). The Trapper Tops won't get used quite as much so should expect at least 6 years with the new Vibram Foura sole (same sole as that is the Alaskas).

FWIW, I chose the Quick Cobbler in Vancouver. Very helpful when I was trying to figure out what to do with these boots. Top notch work!

Last edited by Ron.C; 06-30-2023 at 06:08 PM.

Thanks for the update. The heel seems to have a wider footprint than the original sole.