Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hanwag trapper top gtx product feedback

Hanwag trapper top gtx product feedback

I wanted to provide some feedback feedback on the Hanwag Trapper Tops.

Had these boots for about 18 months now and no issues with fit. Did several hunts with them, no stretch, still very comfortable. Did a 15km weighted training hike up a local mtn a week ago in snotty wet weather and my feet felt really good and were dry when the boots came off.

They are great in snow, mud, skree. BUT>>>>>The soles on the trapper tops are crap on wet rock. I don't mean a little bit, but unacceptably crappy. I have taken several tumbles as a result(most recently on my big hike a week ago) and it's just a matter of time before injure myself. I'm all for avoiding risk but the way I hunt I simply cannot avoid traversing wet rock no matter where I hunt so this just isn't acceptable.

I contacted Hanwag and they say the soles when unused for a period of time can get hard and recommends lightly sanding the sole to add more traction on hard wet surfaces like rocks. I honestly questioned this but gave it a go. As i suspected, no difference.

The Alaska GTX sole in comparison is very good in all terrain and is extremely durable (had them resoled twice in 10+ years of extremely hard use). I just found them way too cold in mid-late season hunts and my feet froze while glassing.

I called the cobbler in VANCOUVER who are recommended by Hanwag (who resoled my old Alaskas), they informed me the sole on the Trapper Top is infact a different (much harder) sole than the the Alaskan sole and will be more slippery. Hanwag Alaskans are Vibram Foura soles (they beleive that the Trapper boots have Vibram 1012 soles that are significantly harder.)

Cobbler said no issues re-soleing trapper tops with the Alaska GTX soles. Should make a perfect mid-late season boot for any terrian.

Anyhow, just thought I'd share this incase anyone is considering the trapper tops.
    Last edited by Ron.C; 04-20-2023 at 07:53 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Hanwag trapper top gtx product feedback

Good post Ron. I have 4 pairs of Wags. 3 are Alaskan in various condition from almost new to well used. My 4th pair are Trapper tops. Really like them, a bit warm for early season hunts but I suspect they will shine in mid to late season hunts, especially in snow with higher tops.
    I have been very impressed with all pairs, only negative point would be the most recent pair of Alaskan GTX are quite squeaky, frankly they are noisy and annoying. I thought with break in and grease it would go away, not the case... hoping others have a suggestion to reduce or remove the squeaking noise.
    Last edited by one-shot-wonder; 04-20-2023 at 09:59 PM.

Nothing worse than a squeaking boot. Try taking 80grit sandpaper to the inside of the boot and the tongue. Then oil them up. Worked for me on a pair of hikers that squeaked

Ron ! Would you mind sharing what contact information you have for Hanwag as I’m looking for a certain boot and having a hell of time finding it ?
    Thank You !
    Arctic Lake
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron.C View Post
    I wanted to provide some feedback feedback on the Hanwag Trapper Tops.

Had these boots for about 18 months now and no issues with fit. Did several hunts with them, no stretch, still very comfortable. Did a 15km weighted training hike up a local mtn a week ago in snotty wet weather and my feet felt really good and were dry when the boots came off.

They are great in snow, mud, skree. BUT>>>>>The soles on the trapper tops are crap on wet rock. I don't mean a little bit, but unacceptably crappy. I have taken several tumbles as a result(most recently on my big hike a week ago) and it's just a matter of time before injure myself. I'm all for avoiding risk but the way I hunt I simply cannot avoid traversing wet rock no matter where I hunt so this just isn't acceptable.

I contacted Hanwag and they say the soles when unused for a period of time can get hard and recommends lightly sanding the sole to add more traction on hard wet surfaces like rocks. I honestly questioned this but gave it a go. As i suspected, no difference.

The Alaska GTX sole in comparison is very good in all terrain and is extremely durable (had them resoled twice in 10+ years of extremely hard use). I just found them way too cold in mid-late season hunts and my feet froze while glassing.

I called the cobbler in VANCOUVER who are recommended by Hanwag (who resoled my old Alaskas), they informed me the sole on the Trapper Top is infact a different (much harder) sole than the the Alaskan sole and will be more slippery. Hanwag Alaskans are Vibram Foura soles (they beleive that the Trapper boots have Vibram 1012 soles that are significantly harder.)

Cobbler said no issues re-soleing trapper tops with the Alaska GTX soles. Should make a perfect mid-late season boot for any terrian.

Anyhow, just thought I'd share this incase anyone is considering the trapper tops.
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Hanwag Canada website and use the contact info there
    Last edited by Ron.C; 04-21-2023 at 09:49 AM.

Thank You !
    Arctic Lake
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron.C View Post
    log onto the Hanwag Canada website and use the contact info there
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Fishers hardware in Vernon sells the alaska gtx for $349.99 ask for Larry

https://www.homehardware.ca/en/store...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

I too have had the Trapper top GTX for going on 4-5 seasons now, great boot, love them except the soles of these boots mangle my feet. If I wear them all day, by the end of the day my feet are in such pain. I have debated replacing the insoles to something better but just have not go around to trying that to see if it will alleviate my issues. But other than that they have been great, oh and the metal boot hooks will bend out on you, I have had mine bend out multiple time and have used pliers to bend them back. Hanwag said no support for those little buggers. - Needless to say my next boot will not be a Hanwag boot, service and quality have slipped off in recent years it seems
    Last edited by Elkaholic; 04-25-2023 at 08:52 AM.
    You can take the man out of the wilderness but you cant take the wilderness out of the man.

I have two seasons on Trapper Tops so far. Great boot, very satisfied. I have not noticed the slippery soles but I don't hunt in super rocky terrain. Have you had yours resoled yet?

Quote Originally Posted by bcsteve View Post
    I have two seasons on Trapper Tops so far. Great boot, very satisfied. I have not noticed the slippery soles but I don't hunt in super rocky terrain. Have you had yours resoled yet?
    They are at the cobbers now