Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Have you renewed your Pal?

Re: Have you renewed your Pal?

I am in the same situation, I sent renewal application in early January as it was running out in mid March. They did not like the photo and asked me to send in a new photo in February, that was sent in and the firearms site still had no indication that they had received the photo so I phoned in for an update, went through the entire IVR process to get to the correct area to be told via a recording they are too busy, to call back and the **** machine hung up on me. Tried it again on Monday and got through to a human after 40 minutes on hold, they got the photo and it is all in the "final stages" which, after a number of questions on my part is that it is with the Sr. Firearms Officer in my Province to do whatever they do in the process and they could not answer my question of how I could contact that person or when they would be done with the file. I was informed that I need to keep my firearms at home under lock and key until I heard from them about my "in the final stages" renewal application.

One thing I did find out was that my new RPAL if it is finally provided will be dated to the my next birthday plus 5 years as I explained that the way it looked to me was that they were charging me for a 5 year license but only giving me a partial amount of the 5 years.

Very nice folks on the phone but the system is almost as unworkable for them as it is for us, sad state of affairs in the Canadian Bureaucracy.

Be well.../B
    Quote Originally Posted by wetcoastwillie View Post
    In general.... sometimes I may come across as being a prick.... but I'm human.... and cant always express my views as best as I should

Had a buddy who just had to wait 301 days for his restricted. They didn't even check his references.

Renewed my PAL online, took picture with phone. Sent on March 14th received in the mail April 14th. Got lucky I guess?

It took less than a month for mine and I have restricted. I have it flagged in my computer so I get a warning six months ahead. Think I’ll change that to 1 year just in case.
    Your asking in the wrong place. This is the tinfoil hat capital of the internet

Quote Originally Posted by todbartell View Post
    I believe you can go to the range and hunt with an expired PAL, as long as you have a renewal in process... you just cannot purchase firearms or ammo until your new license arrives
    That’s how I am moving forward. Not buying a new rifle and handload so life will go on. After 5 months of the renewal application in the works come end of July the sheep hunt is happening with whatever PAL is in hand. Try not to sweat the things that are beyond one’s control!
    "Every time is a once-in-a-lifetime experience . . . all different" Glenn St. Charles

LIFE MEMBER: RMGA, WSSBC, BGRCBC

I waited 9 months for my renewal. Got told in October it was in the final phase and it arrive March 9.
    It aint easy being green

Just did my renewal and here is the best info I can give you:

First: There is no 6 month extension that people talk about. The 6 month rule allows you to apply for a new license without having to take the course again. During this 6 months, you guns CANNOT leave your safe unless your with someone that has a valid PAL/RPAL. Even then your handguns can't leave since they're registered to you. Basically your can't shoot or buy anything a PAL is required for. If you get caught, you will be treated as someone who doesn't hold a valid PAL. Guns will be confiscated and you will be treated as a criminal.

Second: License renewal:

Jan 3/2023 - I knew this was about 3 months out from my license expiring, at this time I filled out the online renewal and set it in. Credit card was charged this day.
    Jan 9/ 2023 - Letter shows up in the mail saying I need to renew my license.
    Jan 10-20/2023 - sometime during those dates, I check the status online and it says "the initial review has been completed and I will be contacted if I need more info"
    Feb 25/2023 - I call and after being on hold for 30 minutes, I speak to a human who informs that the application is currently with the CFO. Has no further info. I inform her on April 16th my license will expire and what do I do if that happens? She tells me to leave the firearms secured safely in the safe until new license is in hand. I own handguns and this was my biggest concern. I could of given all my long guns/shotguns to my neighbour or brother in law temporarily.
    Mar 6/2023 - email CFO email asking for contact number - no response
    Mar 7-20/2023 - Called multiple times, never spoke to a human again
    Mar 21/2023 - Email my MP, Marc Dalton - Conservative for Maple ridge/Pitt meadows - explain to him that I have done my part to help and support him but now need his help
    Mar 22/2023 - Email back from Marc's staff asking for me to sign a waiver to talk to the RCMP on my behalf
    Mar 23/2023 - email from Marc's staff saying "great news, you approved, expect your license in 2 weeks". I checked online and sure enough had been approved.
    Apr 12/2023 - New license shows up! 4 days before old one expires.

Not going to say this will work for everyone but I suggest talking to your MP if their conservative. If they aren't, email Pierre's office.

Hope this helps,

Kevin

Mine took 4 months applied 6 months before old one expired.

I also got my MP involved, I've had issues with getting my PAL every 5 years except that one time when Harper was PM and there was no fee for a PAL renewal. It seems like one of the biggest holdups is with the provincial chief firearms officers so if yours is late check with them about it.

Had the same thing with a permit to accompany [a few times] where they didn't get it processed before our hunt was to commence, our local MLA managed to put a fire under them and we got it the day before we shipped out for the hunt.

less than 6 weeks for mine back in January