Thread: The Seal Hunt: A Perfect Storm of Optics, Emotion and Irony

Exclamation The Seal Hunt: A Perfect Storm of Optics, Emotion and Irony

The Seal Hunt: A Perfect Storm of Optics, Emotion and Irony

It’s early April - the time of year when ice floes reappear off the coast of Newfoundland, and sealers, just as they have done for centuries, head out to them to undertake the harp seal hunt. With the launch of the hunt, so begins the annual anti seal hunt circus. You'll likely see click-bait pieces all over social media, and uninformed (or paid-off) celebrities championing the cause they know so little about. Money thirsty animal rights cults double down on their campaigns to “ban” the seal hunt this time of year. I say “ban” in quotations because that’s likely the very last thing they want to see happen. If it were ever banned these groups would lose their ability to leverage this cash cow.

The seal hunt is without a doubt the most regulated and coddled hunt/industry in the world, and the number of layered nuances, ironies, misconceptions and straight up lies being told about it is nauseating. In this post I’ll tackle these misconceptions and hopefully set the record straight.

https://jenshears.com/f/the-seal-hunt

The interview with Paul Watson (my old nemesis) is a must watch!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

2. Site Sponsor

Re: The Seal Hunt: A Perfect Storm of Optics, Emotion and Irony

Nog do they still bash those seal pups on the head to dispatch them ?
    I find that disturbing ,and yes I have wrung many a grouse neck and bonked fish but the seal pup bashing just does not sit well with me . Now if I did not have a weapon to dispatch an animal in a survival situation it’s all fair
    I have not looked at the link you provided yet so will check it out .
    Im no stranger to slaughter , spent years on the slaughter floor . I don’t approve of Kosher slaughter either !
    Arctic Lake
    Last edited by Arctic Lake; 04-14-2023 at 05:34 PM.
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Shoot at least 1/2 of All the seals ! This is my want ! The Salmon are MUCH more important ! JMO RJ

Should be an open season on seals and sea lions, kill a seal save 1000 salmon.

Quote Originally Posted by REMINGTON JIM View Post
    Shoot at least 1/2 of All the seals ! This is my want ! The Salmon are MUCH more important ! JMO RJ
    Ummm sockeye

That was an interesting read. Didn't know they shoot 1st then bonk if needed. I still feel 2nd shot would be swifter and optically better for all.

As for seals here, they are long overdue a thinning. I haven't fished the straight in quite some time but when I did things were bad. We humans try to play god and make all things balanced, we suck. Sometimes we can't even try because it hurts some Karen's emotionally !!
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

Quote Originally Posted by Steeleco View Post
    That was an interesting read. Didn't know they shoot 1st then bonk if needed. I still feel 2nd shot would be swifter and optically better for all.

As for seals here, they are long overdue a thinning. I haven't fished the straight in quite some time but when I did things were bad. We humans try to play god and make all things balanced, we suck. Sometimes we can't even try because it hurts some Karen's emotionally !!
    You can't try because some Karen made it illegal. I'd take a wager that a lot more seals and sea lions would be shot if it wasn't illegal.

An old Inuit hunter told me ‘cruelty does not exist in nature , it is just nature, not one single animal was saved from a ‘cruel ‘ death by not trapping ,shooting or hitting it on the head, a bear, wolf,or orca rips it apart….it’s just the way it is..what he strongly denounced was people coming up from the south who had absolutely no idea of life in the north dictating to them how they should live,what they had done was destroy them by taking away their income and putting them on welfare
    Last edited by ratherbefishin; 05-05-2023 at 10:59 AM.