Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Equal Access To Wilderness / Unauthorized Gates

Re: Equal Access To Wilderness / Unauthorized Gates

^^^^^not always true. There is massive amounts of land where I live that are area/road closures( gated/deactivated roads ) and the animal populations are just as bad as everywhere else.

Cut er down and open up.Put a cam or two up and find out who is installing those and post them everywhere as well. Eff anyone doing what you describe.

https://www.canada.ca/en/campaign/cr...-strategy.html

Canada has signed a joint action plan with the US to supply critical minerals (you can google more about this)

writing to the MLA is futile, and the NDP as well as the Liberals are up to their ass in this.
    these gates are being set by the henchmen of the NDP , under the complacent gaze of the Liberals (ask Minister Wilkinson), but at the same time denying that they have anything to do with this in order to avoid the press.
    What remains to be done? unite and protest, unite B4 is 2 late, all the associations of hunters and outdoorsmen/women, naturists, scientists and defenders of nature must be on board, that although the government always denies the impact of its ambition/greed. They must be accountable for the damage they are causing to nature.
    and yes bolt cutter and disc grinder or torch are a must.
    May the 4art be with you

Quote Originally Posted by Steeleco View Post
    I'd like to know how we can tell an authorized gate from a NON authorized one? Just yesterday I took the dog for a stretch up Lost creek, not been up there in eons! Ran into a gate that was posted private. Shot all to hell like most signs, but how do you know?
    In our case, we quickly discovered who was operating the gate, because they had to come let us out. Suspecting those operating the gate were also behind the installation, the question remained... is this legal / authorized.

In September 2022, BC Hydro confirmed to me who installed the gate and that it was to protect the land during fire season

As the gate remained close through to now, I went ahead and emailed the Ministry of Forest Land and Natural Resources. I received a phone call the next morning. They re-confirmed the installer of the gate and confirmed it is not authorized.

So that is the best way to find out. I do recall coming across and "FSR status" website which listed various gates and contact numbers. That might be a good first place to check, but if you do not find the answer there, send off a quick email to the Chilliwack Forest District and you will likely get a quick answer.

Some have asked what the gate looked like. While these gates could probably vary, the gate in this case was bare metal and a bit rusty for what you would expect for a "new gate" (perhaps recycled) It is however well built (beefy so to speak)

In addition to people writing to or meeting with their MLA's, I would encourage sending your reports / information to my email address that I provided in the OP. Having as much data in one place is helpful for messaging. For example, for me to be able to report to a media outlet, or for us to state to our MLA, "Here is how many people we know are being affected, this is how many hectares of backcountry we know is being blocked" delivers a much more powerful message.

I am considering pursuing my case with RAPP. As it has been confirmed by the ministry that it was installed to block hunters, not only is it an illegal gate but the purpose is to interfere with lawful hunting which is a separate offense. While I would be surprised to get any traction there, we can add such details (another law not being enforced) in our messaging. Thoughts on this?

Any other ideas?

What I am trying to do here is fine tune a process for getting people involved. Once I feel we can get some traction, I am going to expand to other stake holder groups such as hiking, fishing, 4x4, even HAM radio groups engaged in SOTA for example are being impacted.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyJack View Post
    A stupid thing for a hunter to suggest, way easier to just shut down the hunting seasons, or just put everything on LEH so people can still send in $ but not really know if anyone is even getting the tags. And 'giving the animals a reprieve' as you suggest would take access away for berry pickers, fishermen, bird watchers, mountain bikers, mushroom pickers, backpackers and all those other people that use these access points. What a stupid suggestion for ANY hunter to make, shutting down access....dumb dumb dumb...PETA approved.
    How is it shutting down access? The roads weren’t naturally there. They were installed using machinery and changed the natural landscape. It’s funny because all the other uses you listed require the person to get out of their vehicle. Why is it a stupid thing for a Hunter to care about conservation and restoring natural ecosystems? It’s long known that resource roads, especially those maintained in winter, are used by predators to increase success. Furthermore, these roads are commonly used by unlicensed hunting activities. These activities occur at night and are difficult to enforce. It’s in the best interest to start restoring/destroying these roads after logging or mining is complete. We have the right to access crown land. It isn’t our right to access crown land by motor vehicle or all terrain vehicle. That is a luxury.
    The Rocky Mountains is the Marrow of the World
    "Ain't this somethin'? I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. "Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men." "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline."

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty View Post
    How is it shutting down access? The roads weren’t naturally there. They were installed using machinery and changed the natural landscape. It’s funny because all the other uses you listed require the person to get out of their vehicle. Why is it a stupid thing for a Hunter to care about conservation and restoring natural ecosystems? It’s long known that resource roads, especially those maintained in winter, are used by predators to increase success. Furthermore, these roads are commonly used by unlicensed hunting activities. These activities occur at night and are difficult to enforce. It’s in the best interest to start restoring/destroying these roads after logging or mining is complete. We have the right to access crown land. It isn’t our right to access crown land by motor vehicle or all terrain vehicle. That is a luxury.
    I think deactivating roads that are no longer needed for resource extraction, Hydro access, etc is another topic.

This topic is about roads which are active and still required (BC Hydro for example has access through the unauthorized gate) but a gate has been placed there so motor vehicle access for rec purposes is restricted to a specific group.

I believe one demographic should not be able to install a gate so block other demographics so that they can use the roads and hunt the area exclusively.

If I were to install a gate on such a road and say "only people of X heritage, loggers and BC Hydro are allowed" I believe I would be facing penalties in short order and given some extreme "labels" (and rightfully so)

This is about equal access for all demographics on active roads. We are frequently reminded by our government equality of race, religion, gender, etc are important, but I see there is a discrepancy here.
    Last edited by caddisguy; 04-15-2023 at 04:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheObserver View Post
    And also what number did you contact the ministry at caddis?
    Here is the contact information. First link is the main office, second link has regional contact information. I emailed the regional contact late one afternoon and received a phone call the next morning.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/g...istry-contacts

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/i...trict-contacts

Quote Originally Posted by caddisguy View Post
    This is about equal access for all demographics on active roads. We are frequently reminded by our government equality of race, religion, gender, etc are important, but I see there is a discrepancy here.
    That has not been the case for decades. About 30 years ago I use to hunt in an area where there was a logging road that was gated and hunters could not use motorized transportation. You could get the gate unlocked to go and cut firewood, fish in the streams or go hiking in the summer, but if you wanted to hunt it was by shanks mare or riding a horse. Unless of course you belonged to a special demographic where you did not need a hunting license...in that case the gate was unlocked for you and you could drive in and cruise the logging roads in your truck with shooters in the back of the pickup ready to harvest any ungulate that was visible from the roads. We frequently saw them driving the roads in the middle of the night as well, shooting moose or caribou. No, equality of race is most definitely not what is being practiced when it comes to hunting and fishing.
    Everyone is entitled to voicing an opinion, as long as it is a learned one.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Didn't think it would be just an island problem for long.

Quote Originally Posted by SSG-man View Post
    Didn't think it would be just an island problem for long.
    If there are gates on FSR's out that way on public land which are not authorized by the Ministry I would really appreciate if you can send the details to the address I posted in the OP. This is an address I have created so that I can consolidate impact and we can make a strong collective case, not only to restore access but to prevent it from being an accepted norm where we find the only public access to "wilderness" is provincial parks and we are otherwise resticted to pavement.