Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Equal Access To Wilderness / Unauthorized Gates

Re: Equal Access To Wilderness / Unauthorized Gates

This isn't going to be another Native bashing thread. Use your energy and keyboard to do as suggested and write your MLA.
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

I'd like to know how we can tell an authorized gate from a NON authorized one? Just yesterday I took the dog for a stretch up Lost creek, not been up there in eons! Ran into a gate that was posted private. Shot all to hell like most signs, but how do you know?
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

Cut it down, open it up, if there isn't a company sign with contact info prominently displayed then it's not legal, even then it may not be. Writing your MLA is a wasted effort, they are all on the undrip bandwagon now and outdoors people are way way down on the NDP list of those they care about.

I have encountered this as well. Unfortunately, with dwindling wildlife populations the competition and NIMBYism will get worse. The best thing for wildlife would be to deactivate, restrict motor vehicles, and replant all access roads IMHO. This would help remove unlicensed hunting and give the animals a reprieve.
    The Rocky Mountains is the Marrow of the World
    "Ain't this somethin'? I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. "Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men." "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline."

Quote Originally Posted by Steeleco;[URL="tel:2398112"
    2398112[/URL]]I'd like to know how we can tell an authorized gate from a NON authorized one? Just yesterday I took the dog for a stretch up Lost creek, not been up there in eons! Ran into a gate that was posted private. Shot all to hell like most signs, but how do you know?
    ‘I’m curious as well as to how people would know?
    I like drinking beer and whiskey, shooting guns, jetboating, love a nice rack and a tight line, I am simply a sophisticated redneck...

There is a gate close to home that a resource company locked a few years ago, spent 4 days building a trail to skirt, not visible unless you know the entrance and exit.
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check
    Made payable for an amount of 'up to
    and including my life'. That is Honor, and there are way too many people
    in This country who no longer understand it.'
    You only walk this Earth once,
    make sure your tracks are deep.

I would think a data base of where and when people come across these gates would be useful. Hate to plan a trip, travel a long distance just to fine one of these gates.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty View Post
    I have encountered this as well. Unfortunately, with dwindling wildlife populations the competition and NIMBYism will get worse. The best thing for wildlife would be to deactivate, restrict motor vehicles, and replant all access roads IMHO. This would help remove unlicensed hunting and give the animals a reprieve.
    A stupid thing for a hunter to suggest, way easier to just shut down the hunting seasons, or just put everything on LEH so people can still send in $ but not really know if anyone is even getting the tags. And 'giving the animals a reprieve' as you suggest would take access away for berry pickers, fishermen, bird watchers, mountain bikers, mushroom pickers, backpackers and all those other people that use these access points. What a stupid suggestion for ANY hunter to make, shutting down access....dumb dumb dumb...PETA approved.

In a perfect sane world I would think all gates across any public land should have all pertinent information on it
    Why , Who , Contact information ! If not rip it the hell out ! Just like those hunters that block roads with vehicles .
    Arctic Lake
    Last edited by Arctic Lake; 04-15-2023 at 09:26 AM.
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty View Post
    I somewhat agree, although I don’t think ALL resource roads should be deactivated, but a lot of them should be. Multiple studies have shown that the presence of roads makes a big impact on wildlife. Get people out moving on their feet or through otherwise non motorized methods and I think we’d see a difference for sure