Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Solo Goat

Re: Solo Goat

Thanks for sharing, definitely a bucket list hunt for me.

Thanks for all the kind words everyone; much appreciated. I love the mountains and enjoy every minute I can up in the alpine. And happy to share my story. I find it helpful when others provide their thoughts and experiences and little details of things I may not have considered myself (take a book or ipad for the many hours/days you might be socked in your tent, food tips - fresh/wholesome food the first couple days before going dehydrated makes a big difference over a long trip despite the extra couple pounds, fleece and multiple layers are key in the mountains, scout out water sources before setting up camp, etc). I certainly am no expert, but happy to share what's worked for me.

I am a big believer in wool (lower elev hunts) and fleece (mountain hunts) and having lots of layers to add/drop. Making sure you aren't soaked with sweat will help you sit those extra couple of hours. A top notch outer layer/rain gear is critical to staying dry. I have light, black, mountain hardware rainpants and an arc'teryx raincoat. Both have kept me dry in soaking situations, both sitting and moving/packing. Don't cheap out on the rain gear.

And yes, it is much more about the whole experience than the inches (although a nice rack is always enjoyed when it pans out). The 'roughest' and most challenging hunts are the ones I always think about afterwards. I barely even remember the one time a shot a deer on the side of the road and drove home. So, don't shy away from the struggles and plan a tough hunt (just be prepared) -- it will suck hard at the time, but you'll never regret it.

Thanks for reading and glad you enjoyed it. And as the old adage goes - the year you do your first sheep hunt is the year your future first ram is born.....so that means somewhere up north a nice little thinhorn male lamb with my name on it is about to be born.

excellent write up! thanks for the sharing story and pics. Got me all excited

Well done. Congrats on an amazing hunt, and thanks for posting it up.
    Check my Youtube Channel for fishing and hunting videos https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjN...AEGjPIUba3pn9g

Great hunt and a better story and pics. I commend you on your writing style, very fluid. You would make an English prof proud.

excellent write up and pictures! I really enjoyed it, thanks for taking the time to share...

I totally had that feeling of being up in the alpine, weather blowing in and out. Most beautiful place in the world even when it’s the hardest. Amazing story and great decision making at every point. Thanks so much for sharing it. By the way, if the story had gone on for another 5000 words I would have loved it, you had me hooked from the first page.
    Your asking in the wrong place. This is the tinfoil hat capital of the internet

Incredible achievement and story, and photos, and billy! He’s gorgeous! Huge congrats to you Broke!! I don’t think there’s a better feeling of accomplishment then tossing that loaded pack onto the tailgate of the pickup is there? My hat is off to you sir!!

Mountain goat liver is such a hidden gem!!. Iv got to feed on my share of goat liver, and the energy boost Iv noticed every single time is nearly unreal. In my thoughts, it boils down to the nutrition that’s packed into that mountain grass/feed that a goat digests, maybe? I haven’t noticed it nearly as much in moose/deer liver, plus goat liver tastes 10x better also.

Damn, now I’m craving a feast of goat liver and onion!

Wow what a great story! That sounded like an absolute grind! Good for you and congrats on the Billy! Brought back memories of my brother in laws hunt this September. Love chasing goats.
    WSSBC
    CCFR

Just bought my license and tags for the year. Where else can you get an elk, whitetail, mule deer, moose, mountain goat, mountain sheep, and bear tag -- all with open seasons??? Gotta love BC!!