Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Honda ATVs

Re: Honda ATVs

HMMM DROVE Fords for 30 years..and YOUR dissing that ?
    drove Hondas for 35 years..never had to walk home...YET..LOL..

Im ok with that....undeniably you certainly are knowledgable..intelligent and far smarter than me....but I am ok with being second...

be well RJ....ALWAYS my pleasure..
    cheers
    Steven

Not a new Honda , but I purchased a TRX420 new back in 2008. Lots of miles on it and always starts and goes. New front brakes a few years ago and nothing else. Still on original battery. Last week finally got around to doing a valve check after fifteen years and what do you know? Both intake and exhaust are still in spec.

I sold a couple Honda quads.....'02 Rubicon 500 and '08 Rancher 5 years ago and bought a used '13 Yamaha 550 Grizzly. The Yamaha has fuel injection for easy winter starts, a far superior ride with IRS, a much better seat (to my boney butt!), more ground clearance, lock-up so all 4 wheels will turn under power at once, power steering and heated grips. And the automatic clutch that includes a belt drive component for variable speed on the Yamaha works very well, especially for my wife for snow plowing while I'm off in AZ Coues deer hunting!

The only thing the Yamaha Grizzly gives up to my old Hondas are fuel economy is significantly worse and it has a louder muffler.

All that said, I rode a '19 Honda Rubicon for a bit on a caribou hunt in Nunavut. It had corrected most of the short comings of my older Hondas...IRS rode well, had a softer more comfortable seat, excellent power steering, etc. It was the foot shift model so it got fine fuel economy. The Inuits like the foot shift model for reliability, and for whatever the reason don't like the Honda Dual Clutch Auto for their uses. On that hunt I mainly drove an "old" Honda Foreman, which beat the snot out of you but was totally reliable despite many years of backcountry hard usage and little care.

If it was me, I'd go test both out and buy the one I got the best deal on that had the features I want...which would include PS, heated grips, IRS, FI and an automatic transmission, whether the Yamaha or Honda style. Both are well built reliable bikes and maintain excellent resale value.
    Last edited by Blockcaver; 04-11-2023 at 04:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by srupp View Post
    HMMMMMM never ever ...ever...never... a belt drive...35 years of Hondas has spoiled me..why get a belt drive and practice walking out/home...if it aint broke dont fix it

if you have to fix it..probably a belt drive..RJ..

cheers
    Steven
    Never had to walk due to a belt failure so I don't put much store in that marketing ploy.

Personally if I wanted to pay an outrageous amount for an atv I'd get a Yamaha Grizzly but I've always ridden the best, best price, best ride, Polaris.

Quote Originally Posted by Blockcaver View Post
    I sold a couple Honda quads.....'02 Rubicon 500 and '08 Rancher 5 years ago and bought a used '13 Yamaha 550 Grizzly. The Yamaha has fuel injection for easy winter starts, a far superior ride with IRS, a much better seat (to my boney butt!), more ground clearance, lock-up so all 4 wheels will turn under power at once, power steering and heated grips. And the automatic clutch that includes a belt drive component for variable speed on the Yamaha works very well, especially for my wife for snow plowing while I'm off in AZ Coues deer hunting!

The only thing the Yamaha Grizzly gives up to my old Hondas are fuel economy is significantly worse and it has a louder muffler.

All that said, I rode a '19 Honda Rubicon for a bit on a caribou hunt in Nunavut. It had corrected most of the short comings of my older Hondas...IRS road well, had a softer more comfortable seat, excellent power steering, etc. It was the foot shift model so it got fine fuel economy. The Inuits like the foot shift model for reliability, and for whatever the reason don't like the Honda Dual Clutch Auto for their uses. On that hunt I mainly drove an "old" Honda Foreman, which beat the snot out of you but was totally reliable despite many years of backcountry hard usage and little care.

If it was me, I'd go test both out and buy the one I got the best deal on that had the features I want...which would include PS, heated grips, IRS, FI and an automatic transmission, whether the Yamaha or Honda style. Both are well built reliable bikes and maintain excellent resale value.
    Power steering definitely shouldn’t be overlooked.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyJack View Post
    Never had to walk due to a belt failure so I don't put much store in that marketing ploy.

Personally if I wanted to pay an outrageous amount for an atv I'd get a Yamaha Grizzly but I've always ridden the best, best price, best ride, Polaris.
    Have spent the best part of my hunting day twice towing machines out with broken belts. To be fair, I don't know what brand they were, they were just dead weight on the end of my tow line. Pfffffffft!

It doesn't look like any of the new quads sit inside standard 6.5 foot box anymore

I went with a 570 Polaris sportsman… 0 issues since March 2020, one belt snapped and I was in deep snow and the belt had 1500km on it.

that being said, it’s much bigger faster and sportier than I ever need or use, so I’m likely going to sell it and pick up one of the Honda 420s bit smaller and lighter, even better on the fuel and bomb proof reliability.

that or one of the new Honda 150xt enduro bikes. 4500 cash out the door for a 2023 and supposed to get 160km per gallon with a 3 galllon tank.
    Last edited by RyoTHC; 04-11-2023 at 03:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RyoTHC View Post
    I went with a 570 Polaris sportsman… 0 issues since 2023, one belt snapped and I was in deep snow and the belt had 1500km on it.

that being said, it’s much bigger faster and sportier than I ever need or use, so I’m likely going to sell it and pick up one of the Honda 420s bit smaller and lighter, even better on the fuel and bomb proof reliability.

that or one of the new Honda 150xt enduro bikes. 4500 cash out the door for a 2023 and supposed to get 160km per gallon with a 3 galllon tank.
    Hey, now that’s pretty good.

Only issue I’ve really had with our 2 Hondas (2016 420s with all options) is one had a sticking / squeaking steering stem bushing that some thick silicone grease seems to have solved, and I don’t care for the stock tires / and the mismatched rim sizes (12” front, 11” rear).

I don’t think one can go too far wrong with a Honda or a Yamaha, a Canned Ham or a Polaris may just work for some, but don’t buy an Argo quad (made by Kymco - Kwang Yang Motor Co) buddy tried that last year, it would boil the gas in the tank during low speed riding, and died due to an electrical short 7 days into our 8 day hunting trip. At least it died at camp. It got returned.
    Pretend hunter.

hmmm have towed 2 units onto the rd from marshes where the belt drive failed over the years..

I know better than argue with RJ..as he knows more than me..

good info BLOCKCAVER..
    Steven